Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

IS-F Steering Ecu Upgrade on a IS350 - Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-17, 10:28 AM
xapexi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS-F Steering Ecu Upgrade on a IS350 - Vibrations

Hello all,

I just installed an IS-F steering ecu on my little brother's IS350 this weekend. It came out of a crashed IS-F.
I didn't do any calibration because I've read that if you it came out of another car, you don't need to do the calibration. Calibration is only needed if you buy it brand new.

With that being said, after the install I definitely felt the steering get stiffer. But, there is a slight vibration when turning the wheel left and right when I'm sitting still.

Has anyone ever faced this issue before?
Is this because I haven't gotten it calibrated?

Any help would be great, Thank you in advance.
Old 04-03-17, 02:16 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Odd, never heard of that issue before. So you're saying this vibration was non-exist before this steering ecu was installed?
The following users liked this post:
xapexi (04-16-17)
Old 04-03-17, 04:12 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 768 Likes on 671 Posts

I just installed mine last week. Didn't need calibration at all was a used 08-10 ISF ECU. No issues even turned the wheels a lot parked. I could definitely feel it was a lot stiffer. It will feel lighter after a few days of driving. At least that's the way I feel it now.

If you still have the stock ECU. Swap it out and check if the vibration is there.
xapexi (04-16-17)
Old 04-05-17, 01:19 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

I would recommend doing the calibration before investigating further. While there may be power assist with an uncalibrated ECU, the ECU should always be calibrated after installation.

Jeff
xapexi (04-16-17)
Old 04-16-17, 03:49 PM
xapexi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gville350
Odd, never heard of that issue before. So you're saying this vibration was non-exist before this steering ecu was installed?
Yes sir.
Originally Posted by tlts82
I just installed mine last week. Didn't need calibration at all was a used 08-10 ISF ECU. No issues even turned the wheels a lot parked. I could definitely feel it was a lot stiffer. It will feel lighter after a few days of driving. At least that's the way I feel it now.
It was definitely stiffer upon install as well. Just could feel this vibration/pulsing through the steering wheel initially.
If you still have the stock ECU. Swap it out and check if the vibration is there.

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
I would recommend doing the calibration before investigating further. While there may be power assist with an uncalibrated ECU, the ECU should always be calibrated after installation.

Jeff
I'll get the tech stream again and try to calibrate it. Which section would it be under?

Anyway thank you everyone for chiming in. My little brother said the vibration went away and I test drove it myself too. No more vibration/pulsing and the steering is how it should've felt. Much more confidence when throwing it around!

Have a good weekend!
Old 04-18-17, 05:48 AM
DmcL325i
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any DIY's for this? Also whats needed to calibrate? Id be interested in maybe soing this on my 2010 is220d F Sport. Got the little oem steering damper weight here also.. Meant to put it in my last 2is but never got round to it so may throw it in the F Sport perhaps along with isF steering ecu.
Old 04-18-17, 04:23 PM
xapexi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DmcL325i
Any DIY's for this? Also whats needed to calibrate? Id be interested in maybe soing this on my 2010 is220d F Sport. Got the little oem steering damper weight here also.. Meant to put it in my last 2is but never got round to it so may throw it in the F Sport perhaps along with isF steering ecu.
Unhook the battery
Take the battery out
Pull the bottom of the battery tray up. (It's like a lid)
You'll see the steering ECU once you pulled the lid up.
Disconnect the plugs and unscrew the ECU.

You'll need to swap the metal bracket over that holds the ECU down, from the regular 2is ecu to the ISF ecu.

Then put the ecu back in, replug the plugs and screw it down.
Put the battery tray lid back on top, Put the battery back on. Connect the Battery terminals again.

Depending on how fast you do this, you may need to reprogram the windows. There's a proceedure you need to do with all your windows,

If you bought it brand new, you need the Toyota TechStream Tool to calibrate the ECU. Some people are saying if you pulled it off an ISF, you dont need to calibrate it,but some say you do.
If you have access to the TechStream tool, I personally don't know which section you would need to go to calibrate the ecu. I looked around on the tech stream but wasn't able to find the section.

One of my previous replies to someone's comment:
After 2-3 days the vibration went away. It didn't feel like a mechanical vibration but an electronic one. Similar feel to the vibration/force feed back from a Steering wheel setup for computer/console games.

Quoted from another user who did the swap:
"Just an FYI for those you considering purchasing these, you don't usually need to have them recalibrated if they've already been calibrated in the past (which the OP said he bought his brand new and had it calibrated). Only brand new ones absolutely need it, unless you prefer just to drive with no power steering. Of course, it's best to just have it calibrated to your specific car, but if you don't do so, it'll work fine nonetheless (I had mine redone when I bought mine, didn't notice a difference at all).

I'm assuming since he bought it new recently, it'll most likely be the newest 42 unit (especially at the price he paid), but I wouldn't rule out a 41 unit, doubt it's a 40 unit. OP will want to confirm the part number that's on the ECU for those who are asking for it (and needs to post a asking price due to the forum rule for this section, unless I'm blind and missed it)"

Last edited by xapexi; 04-18-17 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-19-17, 01:01 AM
DmcL325i
Driver School Candidate

Ok cool.. Whats the full part number? Also part number for a stock is250 steering ecu if anyone knows. Need to check its the same part for UK RHD cars.
Old 04-21-17, 12:51 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

89650-53042 is the newest number. It is the same for RHD and LHD.

Jeff
DmcL325i (04-23-17)
Old 04-21-17, 09:09 AM
xapexi
Pole Position

Jeff

Jeff, in your signature it says you have a 6MT IS350. swapped?
Old 04-21-17, 10:19 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Originally Posted by xapexi
Jeff, in your signature it says you have a 6MT IS350. swapped?
Indeed.

Jeff
Old 04-23-17, 12:06 PM
DmcL325i
Driver School Candidate

Jeff
will all of the older isF steering ECU's also work? dont often see an isF getting parted out over here so might not be able to be quite so picky on which revision ECU it is.
Old 04-23-17, 12:15 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by DmcL325i
will all of the older isF steering ECU's also work? dont often see an isF getting parted out over here so might not be able to be quite so picky on which revision ECU it is.
Yes. These also tend to be the lowest priced of the three versions since the 08-10 IS-F owners are looking to rid of their old steering ECU for a newer one.
DmcL325i (04-30-17)
Old 04-23-17, 12:55 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by xapexi
Unhook the battery
Take the battery out
Pull the bottom of the battery tray up. (It's like a lid)
You'll see the steering ECU once you pulled the lid up.
Disconnect the plugs and unscrew the ECU.

You'll need to swap the metal bracket over that holds the ECU down, from the regular 2is ecu to the ISF ecu.

Then put the ecu back in, replug the plugs and screw it down.
Put the battery tray lid back on top, Put the battery back on. Connect the Battery terminals again.

Depending on how fast you do this, you may need to reprogram the windows. There's a proceedure you need to do with all your windows,

If you bought it brand new, you need the Toyota TechStream Tool to calibrate the ECU. Some people are saying if you pulled it off an ISF, you dont need to calibrate it,but some say you do.
If you have access to the TechStream tool, I personally don't know which section you would need to go to calibrate the ecu. I looked around on the tech stream but wasn't able to find the section.

One of my previous replies to someone's comment:
After 2-3 days the vibration went away. It didn't feel like a mechanical vibration but an electronic one. Similar feel to the vibration/force feed back from a Steering wheel setup for computer/console games.

Quoted from another user who did the swap:
"Just an FYI for those you considering purchasing these, you don't usually need to have them recalibrated if they've already been calibrated in the past (which the OP said he bought his brand new and had it calibrated). Only brand new ones absolutely need it, unless you prefer just to drive with no power steering. Of course, it's best to just have it calibrated to your specific car, but if you don't do so, it'll work fine nonetheless (I had mine redone when I bought mine, didn't notice a difference at all).

I'm assuming since he bought it new recently, it'll most likely be the newest 42 unit (especially at the price he paid), but I wouldn't rule out a 41 unit, doubt it's a 40 unit. OP will want to confirm the part number that's on the ECU for those who are asking for it (and needs to post a asking price due to the forum rule for this section, unless I'm blind and missed it)"
Careful if anyone plans on DIY'ing the Techstream calibration at home. If you're going the eBay method, those cheap cables may not support the calibration and you'll be stuck with no power assist until you get it to a Toyota or Lexus dealer to have it calibrated.

I ended up having my 41 unit recalibrated a month after install just to see if there was any difference since mine came off a wrecked 12 F. Think I only paid $100-120 at a Toyota dealer. No difference. It's more of a 50/50 kind of thing, do it if you want peace of mind, don't do it if it ain't broke, don't fix it mindset. It really doesn't matter.
MrHarris (07-17-22)