Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY Un-Seize Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-17, 04:01 AM
TEAMSHARK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Un-Seize Coilovers

Ok.....so I purchased a set of used Megan Street LP coilovers from another member (I won't mention his name). I was told that the threads were slightly problematic and the lower bracket was seized on one, but could be turned using heat (By the way, I learned never to use heat. Heat is dangerous for shocks and can ruin it). It was a great price ($400) so I went for it. From the start, these have been a huge pain in the butt!. I have spent many hours working on them. Never again. I should have paid $200 more for a set of almost new. By the way, Megan sells these new off their website for $899.00. Along the way I have learned alot so I figured I would share with others. Below are the steps for un-seizing coilovers.

How to un-seize coilovers

1. First, do not purchase used coilovers unless you thoroughly inspect the threads and the seller can show you that everything turns and is loose. Be very cautious to purchased any that come from up north (salt, mud, dirt and threads don't mix).
2. If you do purchase used coilovers then the first step is to spray with PB Blaster. I also soaked mine in diesel fuel. Do not soak the upper part of the dampener because the fuel can ruin the seals. 1-2 days.
3. Attempt to loosen collars using the the correct tools or in my case the previous owner had already marred them up so I used a flat head screw driver and hammer to loosen the collars. I also had to use a large pipe wrench with a pipe attached for leverage.
4. To work on them, I had to build a template from 3/4 inch plywood. I drilled three holes so that I could then attach the coilover to it and the plywood could be placed in a vise.
5. To remove the bracket.... well that was alot of work. You need to disassemble the coilover by removing the top bolts and sliding off the spring. There is not much room, but you have about 2-3 inches of body with no threads to work with. Place the body (the part with no threads) in the vise.
6. Use a large flat screwdriver or bar and attach pipe for leverage to turn the bracket. Attempt to move in one direction and then the opposite. If doesn't move then let it soak longer. I also placed the coilover on the ground and hit with a hammer and rotated the body.
7. Once you get the bracket off. Spray everything with PB Blaster and use a brush to clean the the threads. If the threads got ruined you can use a fine small file.
8. Purchase anti-seize and coat all the threads. Megan coilover reps informed me that this is the best way to prevent having seized coilovers.
9. Once a year or so.... clean your threads while on the car.

Good luck.

I probably should have kept a record of my hours... but lets say it was not worth the cost-savings .
Old 03-16-17, 07:16 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Good info! Any time I have my wheels off I try to hit my coilovers with WD-40 for this very reason.
Old 03-20-17, 01:49 PM
Nikovibes
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great tips !