Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Shock advice, from the other end of the spectrum

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-17, 12:27 PM
94Q45T
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock advice, from the other end of the spectrum

Through great luck, I found a 93 SC400 with 35K miles. After the usual inspections, everything seems to be in order (service recs were done on the time schedule rather than miles), BUT a couple of things need attention. I do not want to alter the fundamental character of the car (I have a Supra for that) but just want to tighten things up a touch. With Japanese sedans, the Tokico "blues" are a perfect fit for my needs. However, the rears (#HU3453) have proven difficult to source (7/17 is the latest date). Can any recommend an alternative? I want to tighten the jounce and rebound over things like speed bumps, large dips, etc., without adding harshness to the overall ride. Also interested in bushing replacements that fit that description as these are "squeaky".

There are a great many suggestions throughout other threads, but most seem oriented to a level of performance that I really don't need. Thanks!
Old 02-14-17, 04:07 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

I can't think of an alternative to the tokico blues. There are a bunch of oem replacement shocks, but I believe the tokicos are the firmest. I would recommend going with the oem suspension from a MKIV supra to achieve your goals. It'll firm things up slightly, and give you better shock options. It also lowers the SC 1/4" or 1/2" (I can't remember the exact amount) without drastically changing the characteristics of the car.
Old 02-15-17, 11:55 AM
94Q45T
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Irony

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I can't think of an alternative to the tokico blues. There are a bunch of oem replacement shocks, but I believe the tokicos are the firmest. I would recommend going with the oem suspension from a MKIV supra to achieve your goals. It'll firm things up slightly, and give you better shock options. It also lowers the SC 1/4" or 1/2" (I can't remember the exact amount) without drastically changing the characteristics of the car.
This is wild. In your reply, the word "suspension" became a link to that search term on ebay. When I searched on the Tokico part number (HU3453). there was a pair of shocks listed. Problem solved. . Many thanks to Blkexcoupe!
Old 02-15-17, 01:58 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

That's weird, the word isn't ad-linked in his post for me. I've always assumed that "targeted" advertising of that nature is the same for everyone, but the linked words must be dependent on one's browsing history.
Old 02-16-17, 12:45 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
That's weird, the word isn't ad-linked in his post for me. I've always assumed that "targeted" advertising of that nature is the same for everyone, but the linked words must be dependent on one's browsing history.
They look at browsing history, geographic location, and many other factors (like social media) when targeting ads for you. If you're logged in, then there should not be any text link/advertisements. One of the perks of becoming a registered member is that you don't have to deal with the ads anymore.
Old 02-16-17, 03:46 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

I'm never logged out, but I see the embedded ads frequently. I've never paid attention to whether or not they're consistently there in the same posts, however. Maybe it's just a glitchy system that doesn't always recognize the logged in status and still displays them.