Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help! Need Advice on F Sport Sway Bar Install at Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-17, 12:26 PM
SpursUp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Need Advice on F Sport Sway Bar Install at Dealer

Hello all!

New to the forum! Just picked up a 2014 IS 350 F Sport CPO and I'm adding the F Sport Lowering Springs & F Sport Front & Rear Sway bars. Having it done at the dealer to ensure there are no warranty issues down the road. Based on info from this forum I expected this to cost in the $1,000 - $1,200 range.

Just got a call from the dealer on the price quote and I nearly had a heart attack. The good news is that for the Lowering Springs and the Front Sway bar the total is around $834. No problem......... But for just the Rear Sway Bar the cost is $1,200 alone (so over $2K total cost)!!!!!! What?!?!!?!? So what the dealer is telling me is that for the front sway bar it's just a matter of removing it and putting in the new one. But for the rear one he's telling me the car was sort of built around the sway bar and changing it out is 6+ hrs of work. I didn't quite capture exactly what he said, but something to effect that they would have to remove a number of things from the car (suspension or the chasis maybe?!!?!?) in order to get at the existing rear sway bar..............in other words, a large body of work that probably isn't worth the effort/cost.

I had done a lot of research on this forum and I don't recall it ever being mentioned that putting in the rear sway bar was a large undertaking................I assumed like the front it was simply remove and replace. So right now I told the dealer to go ahead with the lowering springs and front sway bar but to not do the rear sway bar.

So questions:
1. Is what the deal telling me about the rear sway bar accurate? Is that really a 6+ hr job? If not, can someone explain what effort should be involved in swapping out the rear so I can call the dealer back and have an educated discussion?
2. What are your thoughts on doing the lowering springs and front sway bar only? Any concerns leaving in the OEM rear sway bar?

Appreciate your feedback!

Cheers!
Old 02-10-17, 12:50 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SpursUp
Hello all!

New to the forum! Just picked up a 2014 IS 350 F Sport CPO and I'm adding the F Sport Lowering Springs & F Sport Front & Rear Sway bars. Having it done at the dealer to ensure there are no warranty issues down the road. Based on info from this forum I expected this to cost in the $1,000 - $1,200 range.

Just got a call from the dealer on the price quote and I nearly had a heart attack. The good news is that for the Lowering Springs and the Front Sway bar the total is around $834. No problem......... But for just the Rear Sway Bar the cost is $1,200 alone (so over $2K total cost)!!!!!! What?!?!!?!? So what the dealer is telling me is that for the front sway bar it's just a matter of removing it and putting in the new one. But for the rear one he's telling me the car was sort of built around the sway bar and changing it out is 6+ hrs of work. I didn't quite capture exactly what he said, but something to effect that they would have to remove a number of things from the car (suspension or the chasis maybe?!!?!?) in order to get at the existing rear sway bar..............in other words, a large body of work that probably isn't worth the effort/cost.

I had done a lot of research on this forum and I don't recall it ever being mentioned that putting in the rear sway bar was a large undertaking................I assumed like the front it was simply remove and replace. So right now I told the dealer to go ahead with the lowering springs and front sway bar but to not do the rear sway bar.

So questions:
1. Is what the deal telling me about the rear sway bar accurate? Is that really a 6+ hr job? If not, can someone explain what effort should be involved in swapping out the rear so I can call the dealer back and have an educated discussion?
2. What are your thoughts on doing the lowering springs and front sway bar only? Any concerns leaving in the OEM rear sway bar?

Appreciate your feedback!

Cheers!
non matching sway bars will cause a handling issue. you DON'T want that.
Old 02-10-17, 03:08 PM
SpursUp
Driver School Candidate

Thx for the response. Yes, that is my concern that installing only the fronts would actually make things worse.

So a follow-up from above. I called the Lexus dealer that I bought the parts from (unfortunately they are on the other side of the country) and they tell me that they charge $650 for both the front & rear and that its about 3-4 hrs of work. Apparently you need to drop the exhaust to get at the rear sway bar.............but that is the number I was expecting it to cost.

I then decided to call another dealership for another data point, and they said they had not done one yet, but that they would charge $1,600 for both the front & rear!!! Yikes!!!! They said they were looking at their book/instructions and also mentioned dropping the exhaust and some other steps.

Having a hard time understanding how the various dealerships are so far apart in the pricing. I'd understand a couple hundred dollars but $650 vs. $1,600 is crazy.

Again - would appreciate anyone's insight on what effort really is involved in swapping out the rear sway.

Thx again!
Old 02-11-17, 10:05 AM
sandiegoer
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So u mean they have the f sport sway bars available for our 3is?
Old 02-11-17, 10:37 AM
SpursUp
Driver School Candidate

Yes. Bought mine at MyLParts and with the CL discount they were $409 for front and rear.

Part # PTR02-53100.

But warning - the dealer is saying, per their guide, front installation is 1.3hrs and rear installation is 8.9hrs which is driving a nearly $1,400 for install. Crazy!!!!!

Apoarently the rear is buried and they need to do a ton of stuff to get at it.

Wish someone could confirm if this is really true. Doesn't sound like a DYI job like most sway bar installs are.
Old 02-12-17, 06:43 AM
sandiegoer
Driver

1. That part number is for 2010-2015 IS convertible (2is chassis). Which will not fit our 3rd Gen IS
2. Yeah the rear sway on 3is is more complicated to install than other cars.
3. Don't install anything at the stealership.
I suggest u to get the f sport shocks as well.
1. Improve handling, not so much with Springs only
2. If u run sprung only it will stress out ur oem shocks which will make it blow out sooner.
Installation for shocks and Springs around $300.
If u sure that the sway bar gonna works, I would say no more than 2hrs of labor. Around $2-300
Total for ur sway bars (front, rear), shocks, and springs installtion no more than $600.
In case ur f sport sway bars not gonna work, check out SARD, I think they r the only company that make sway bars for the 3is.
Old 02-13-17, 09:56 PM
L0ngJ0hn
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's another thread somewhere stating you have to drop the entire rear end to do the rear sway bar.
Old 02-13-17, 11:02 PM
sandiegoer
Driver

its look like you have to. however, i checked with Nigel, and he said you only need to remove 1 side of the control arm and you will be able to pull it right out. since i live in CA and about to buy the SARD sway bars, he recommended me to a shop that installed them on several 3ISs for about 2 hrs of labor.
Old 02-14-17, 04:59 PM
SpursUp
Driver School Candidate

Sandiegoer - thx for the feedback. You are right in the sway bar. Company I bought it from said it fit but they now admit it was a mistake on their part and that it's not compatible.

First car I've come across that makes it that difficult to swap out sway bars.

Thx again!
Old 02-14-17, 10:40 PM
sandiegoer
Driver

Glad I can help out.