Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Degradation / Loss of Power

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-17, 08:26 PM
Sconnie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Degradation / Loss of Power

So... I've got an 06 IS350 (169K) and I feel like the brakes have lost power over the years (I've had this for 6 years and 110,000 miles). I remember when I bought the car, I thought the brakes were super touchy and grabbed really hard with minimal pressure. Now I feel like I have to put some leg into it... It will brake hard, but just takes excessive pressure. My wife also thinks it's hard to push (her Chevy volt has maybe twice the sensitivity). I have no other issues, no noise, no vibrations, pads are fine...

What might this be? Master cylinder wearing out? Issue with vacuum? Anyone else having this issue?
Old 01-31-17, 07:06 AM
strikeraj
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When was the last time you bleed the brake fluid?
Old 01-31-17, 07:45 AM
Sconnie
Rookie

I had this done probably around 120k, but didn't notice any difference... They don't feel spongy and the pedal engagement is relatively quick, so I don't think it's a air-in-line problem. But then again, I really don't know...

So, I did just find a recall that sounds like my issue - 10V499000. It does say it came out in 2010 though, so I wonder if this was already done to my car? Time to call the dealer...
Old 01-31-17, 08:44 AM
Sconnie
Rookie

$%!#
So I called the dealer, they ran my VIN and this recall didn't come up... Could that mean this was done already? They said they can inspect my brakes for $40, so I set up an appointment for that. I only went to the Lexus dealer because I thought this would be free/recall work... Should I cancel my appointment and go to a Toyota dealer instead? Is Lexus work going to be 2X cost?

Anyone else having this issue?
Old 02-01-17, 04:11 PM
Soledad
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Perhaps your rear brake caliper slide pins are seized? Pretty common for these cars. Moisture gets under the rubber seals and eventually causes the caliper slide pins to rust. When this happens only one pad is making full force contact with the rotor. And so braking seems to take more effort.
The following users liked this post:
Sconnie (02-06-17)
Old 02-01-17, 09:46 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

I agree with what SoleDad said. My braking feel was pretty bad when I got the car so I thought maybe I needed a bleed as well, but after I went to replace my brake fluid it felt the same. So since then with new pads, rotors, and rear calipers to replace the seized ones I feel like it's gotten it's feel back. It's not as touchy as when I first installed new brake pads and were bedding them in but will still stop in an instant when I need it. How are your rotors and pads wearing?
Old 02-03-17, 08:08 AM
Sconnie
Rookie

I'll take a look at the calipers, that's a good idea. I know fronts are moving freely, and the backs were (3-4 years ago) when I replaced the back pads. They might have seized since then.
Old 02-04-17, 04:36 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Def check your calipers. It should be easy enough to just take a glance of the pads on the rears, if one side is almost worn out while the other side isn't, def a seized caliper.
Old 02-06-17, 05:57 PM
Sconnie
Rookie

Both rears are seized.... I was able to get one moving. Bought new pins for that side. Other side, not so much... Drilled a hole and tried to pound out the pin from the back side (after soaking all night) but no luck. New caliper is on order for that side.

Of course when I took my rotors off the park brake shoes pulled out with the rotors and snapped pins. New park break shoes and hardware kit as well... Let's see if I can get it all back together!
Old 02-06-17, 06:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,848 Likes on 2,333 Posts

No surprise. I fought with the wife's Scion tC for about a year because the brakes just didn't feel right and found one rear caliper not floating. It's one of the first things I check - well, not anymore - I don't have a single car in the garage with floating calipers anymore. They get stuck pistons!
The following users liked this post:
GreyHound (03-03-17)
Old 02-07-17, 03:35 PM
Sconnie
Rookie

I haven't checked the fronts and don't remember the setup... Are they floating as well? Any maintenance on those besides pads/rotors?
Old 02-07-17, 06:39 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

No, the fronts are Advics fixed calipers on the 350.
Old 02-10-17, 07:17 AM
Sconnie
Rookie

Wow, back to nice strong brakes!

One trick to note, the springs holding the park brake shoes in place are a pain to install. Takes two thumbs to compress the spring, one hand to hold the pin from the back side and another to turn the washer (4 hands....). I used zip ties to compress the springs, once everything is in place, just cut and pull out. Also good to leave the tails sticking out to the sides, makes it easy to align & pull out once cut.

Last edited by Sconnie; 02-10-17 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-10-17, 09:14 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

There is an SST for those springs. Old school brake guys are really talented at doing this too. Not many left who have serviced drum brakes.
Old 03-03-17, 08:41 AM
GreyHound
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 'Floaters'

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No surprise. I fought with the wife's Scion tC for about a year because the brakes just didn't feel right and found one rear caliper not floating. It's one of the first things I check - well, not anymore - I don't have a single car in the garage with floating calipers anymore. They get stuck pistons!
Well that explains why I have replaced two Rear calipers on the passenger side ! Stuck pistons both times.
Thanks for the info 'lobuxracer', haven't talked to you in a long time. You have helped me many times over the years ,
Have a good one !
Grey