Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Review (more for noobs and fence sitters): TRD and TOMS

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-03, 07:40 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking Review: TRD STBs/swaybars...TOMS STB

Ok, I’ve lived with the addition of TRD front STB, LCB and sway bars, as well as TOMS rear STB for a couple of weeks now. Impressions:

Obviously, the chassis is much stiffer. Perceptibly less flex when, say, coming off sloped driveway at an angle. On the road, the feel is of a much more nuggety car, with the suspension doing more of the work of absorbing irregularities. At the same time, it feels more fluid and composed, esp. when cornering at higher speeds where, even with L-Tuned shocks/springs, it felt as if the car didn’t really want to take a set but kept rearranging it’s contact patches. There is that feel of supple ride yet firm motion control for which certain German sedans which will go unnamed here are frequently praised.

Equally obviously, there’s much less roll, but the stiffer bars haven’t really extracted any penalty in comfort, at least to my 49 y/o butt. Short, sharp impacts (such as small holes or bumps) are slightly more perceptible, but otherwise life is still Lexus-serene in the cabin ( if anything more so!). Even on some of our much-less-than-perfect roads here in Arkansas, I prefer the stiffer bars. Easier to steer around the potholes, if nothing else.

Steering feel has improved, but I’m not sure whether it’s because there’s less flex in the front strut towers, an artifact of less roll/more yaw for given amount of steering input, or both. I didn’t replace the steering ECU nor have I changed preternsioner setting, so it’s all due to the new metal up front.

Speaking as one of the customers probably more representative of the typical Lexus demographic, i.e., old fart, I nonetheless think Lexus would not do wrong nor alienate the current market by incorporating this degree of chassis stiffness and roll stiffness in, at least, the GS.

Last edited by mooretorque; 05-19-03 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-18-03, 02:49 PM
LexFather

Nice write-up. Hopefully some people with questions will read it as it answers a bunch of them. I can't imagine now driving my car stock.
Old 05-18-03, 05:50 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

Thankee kindly.......that's just what I was trying to do. For the gurus and folks that already have done their suspension, it's just "preaching to the choir". I hoped to give those who haven't a sense of what might await them..............
Old 05-19-03, 01:32 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice writeup, mooretorque. even though its been reviewed many times, there's always a little something new to learn with a review.

may i suggest that you add the words "sway bars" or "braces" or something similar to the title so that they have a better chance at showing up in future searches?
Old 05-19-03, 01:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

mooretorque - really glad you're happy with the new parts - I wasn't sure if you'd like them. The sway bars in particular are pretty transforming in terms of body roll.
Old 05-19-03, 06:10 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

bravo, thanks, and consider it done........

bit, thanks to you, too..........reading your posts over time was probably the most convincing thing (tho the enthusiasm of other old guys such as RealMarty and garnet contributed to the decision).......wasn't worried about the chassis bracing but didn't want to lose too much ride comfort with the bars. As it turns out, it has been pretty much a non-issue!
Old 05-20-03, 03:05 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Unhappy

bravo, thanks, and consider it done........
Well, I thought it was done..........
Old 05-20-03, 06:27 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have installed every possible suspension parts that is designed for the GS. For me everything is very tight, sometimes feels too tight and bumpy. I had to remove my front TOMS STB and now the car seems a little less jumpy upfront and now seems to suit my driving style a little bit better. In my case, the TEIN flex is set to a stiff setting upfront and really does not need the added support of the STB. The l-tuned ecu works great and has tightened up my steering. Therefore the effects of the STB is negligible and is only locking my struts upfront and giving me too much steering feedback.

Has anyone ever considered that if you get hit on the left or right front quarter panel with a STB than not only will you damage that one side but also damage the other side that was not hit?

Food for thought and things to consider.

I think the STB is a good first virgin mod, but once you seriously get more suspension parts installed than in my case some parts work against each other and can possibly counter the effects of the other suspension mods.

In the end, you have go with what works for you.

Last edited by DrewGS4; 05-21-03 at 04:55 AM.
Old 05-20-03, 08:51 PM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Wink right on

well said Drew.

Paul
Old 05-21-03, 08:15 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by DrewGS4

Has anyone ever considered that if you get hit on the left or right front quarter panel with a STB than not only will you damage that one side but also damage the other side that was not hit?

Food for thought and things to consider.
Well designed STB's are designed to crumple or fold at a designed stress point to prevent this type of damage.
Old 05-23-03, 07:57 PM
AROD
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the good thread. It helps my rookie wallet.
Old 05-23-03, 08:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally posted by DrewGS4
If you mod a car worrying about accidents, then it's not worth the trouble at all.

It's like saying if you got hit in a fender you'll damage you're Tein Flex which are expensive so why did you bother?