Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

the clunk

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-16, 11:09 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
Default still have the clunk

i changed out the lower ball joints with oem 2 years ago and inspected them and they look fine still,also a month ago put in brand new lower control arm bushings, yet still get the occasional clunk going over dips and speed bumps. I did the bounce test pushing down on the fender and no
noise, any idea what it could be? 98 gs4
Old 10-09-16, 11:10 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
Default the clunk

i changed out the lower ball joints with oem 2 years ago and inspected them and they look fine still,also a month ago put in brand new lower control arm bushings, yet still get the occasional clunk going over dips and speed bumps. I did the bounce test pushing down on the fender and no
noise, any idea what it could be? 98 gs4
Old 10-09-16, 01:01 PM
firelizard

Received 421 Likes on 336 Posts

Could be sway bar bushings, could be end links. Could be upper balljoint, could be tie rod ends.
Old 10-09-16, 01:26 PM
vijayn
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the exact same problem as you described with the clunking noises during slow speed going over bumps etc. As soon as I change my anti-roll bar bushings, the noises went away. And when I compared the old ones to the new ones, they almost looked identical. The wear on the old ones definitely weren't noticeable.
Old 10-09-16, 04:16 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Could be many things.. Time to change one by one.

could also be your struts, strut bushing, top hats. A definitive answer online is impossible. Need to lift the car and inspect EVERYTHING scrutinize the hell out of it all, or have a professional do it. Some things (like anti-roll bar bushings) may not have a visible difference, but a function difference. Inspection is not just looking at certain things, but putting them in action.

Perfect example, steering rack bushings can look just fine, until you lift the car and have someone turn the steering wheel so you can watch the rack move. This is where a professional comes in hand, they know what to do to truly force a suspension noise and pin point it.

Your noise is when hitting a bump or pothole. Well I'd suggest lifting the car on jack stands, using a jack and lifting the suspension up to drive height and do nothing short of kicking the tire in an upward motion. The most important thing to do is jacking the suspension up (yes while still on jack stands and only collapse the suspension, dont lift car any more than it is) so you can 'load' the suspension to its natural state.

this is just one of a thousand things needed to do to find the problem.