Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need Help, New Rear Pads Won't Fit on 2008 IS250 RWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-16, 01:12 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Need Help, New Rear Pads Won't Fit on 2008 IS250 RWD

Hey guys, so this is the third day I've tried to install new rear pads on my 2008 IS250 RWD. The problem is the outer pad will not clear the caliper after I depressed the piston and lubed the guide pins and pushed the caliper in as much as I can. I bought the OEM Lexus parts new from a guy on another forum. The part number for the rear pads is 04466-53010. On the box it says for IS220D/IS250 for EU. I did some research and the part number matches for my car. Even the numbers on the back of the pads match the old pads. Is there a difference in US and EU pads? I checked aftermarket pads and they were the same thickness. I'm hoping I'm not going crazy because I have the wrong pads. Hope someone can chime in on this, because I will take it to the dealership if I can't figure out the problem.
Old 08-19-16, 02:11 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

I can't imagine manufacturers making different brake pads for different countries so I doubt that but I could be wrong. Does the inner pad go in just fine? Else I say this is the infamous seized caliper problem. Can you take the entire caliper off the caliper pin? If not I'd say you're probably due for new rear calipers which is probably the easiest fix for this problem.
Old 08-19-16, 02:21 PM
XSV
Instructor

Originally Posted by Aspect
I can't imagine manufacturers making different brake pads for different countries so I doubt that but I could be wrong. Does the inner pad go in just fine? Else I say this is the infamous seized caliper problem. Can you take the entire caliper off the caliper pin? If not I'd say you're probably due for new rear calipers which is probably the easiest fix for this problem.
There's plenty of space for the inner pad to fit, but not the outer pad no matter how hard I try to slide the caliper inward, I can hear the lower caliper pin making contact with the inside of the caliper when I put the caliper back on and slide it in. all the way. I was able to take the entire caliper off the pin and I greased up the lower and the upper pins and the caliper does slide side to side. I was hoping I wouldn't need new rear calipers, but it looks like that's the direction I'm heading.
Old 08-20-16, 07:51 AM
Aspect
Racer

Originally Posted by XSV
There's plenty of space for the inner pad to fit, but not the outer pad no matter how hard I try to slide the caliper inward, I can hear the lower caliper pin making contact with the inside of the caliper when I put the caliper back on and slide it in. all the way. I was able to take the entire caliper off the pin and I greased up the lower and the upper pins and the caliper does slide side to side. I was hoping I wouldn't need new rear calipers, but it looks like that's the direction I'm heading.
You shouldn't be trying to press the caliper as much as you can inward. If you have plenty of space to fit the inside pad, pop in the inner pad and pull out towards you. That should give you enough room for the outer pad to fit. I personally always start with the outer pad first before pushing it in to get the inner pad in. I had the seized caliper problem and it was the opposite of your situation with the outer pad fitting but the inner pad not, unless you're confusing "inner" and "outer" - "inner" being toward the center of the car and outer being towards you.
Old 08-20-16, 08:04 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only have experience with the is350, but if the caliper slides at all, then I don't know what could cause it to not slide all the way. There should be enough room for the pads. Sounds like you have the caliper off. You probably know this already, but you don't need it off to change pads. So if you haven't already, take the pads out and put the caliper back on and torque it up. Then tell us, can you get the inner pad on by itself, and the outer pad on by itself after removing the inner? If so, then as Aspect said, try getting one on, i.e. outer, then push the caliper in as far as you can and then try the inner. If the piston is fully retracted and the pin slides, you should have no problem.
Old 08-21-16, 12:36 AM
XSV
Instructor

You shouldn't be trying to press the caliper as much as you can inward. If you have plenty of space to fit the inside pad, pop in the inner pad and pull out towards you. That should give you enough room for the outer pad to fit. I personally always start with the outer pad first before pushing it in to get the inner pad in. I had the seized caliper problem and it was the opposite of your situation with the outer pad fitting but the inner pad not, unless you're confusing "inner" and "outer" - "inner" being toward the center of the car and outer being towards you.
Let me clarify, when I say "push in the caliper" I mean that I am actually pushing the caliper towards me, away fromt the center of the car. When I have pushed the caliper in all the way towards me, there is no room for the outer pad (the outer pad is the one furthest from the center), even without the inner pad installed. There is no room for the outer pad when I have pushed the caliper all the way towards me (away from the center of the car) but there is plenty of room for the inner pad (the pad closest to the center of the car).

Originally Posted by scott1256c
I only have experience with the is350, but if the caliper slides at all, then I don't know what could cause it to not slide all the way. There should be enough room for the pads. Sounds like you have the caliper off. You probably know this already, but you don't need it off to change pads. So if you haven't already, take the pads out and put the caliper back on and torque it up. Then tell us, can you get the inner pad on by itself, and the outer pad on by itself after removing the inner? If so, then as Aspect said, try getting one on, i.e. outer, then push the caliper in as far as you can and then try the inner. If the piston is fully retracted and the pin slides, you should have no problem.
Yes, I know I do not have to remove the caliper to change the pads. I have removed the caliper to depress the piston and then put back on and screwed it back into place and torqued it. Like I have said, I slid the caliper as much as I could towards me to get as much space for the outer pad, but I have not been able to fit a new outer pad into the caliper, only the inner pad. For the inner pad I don't need to adjust the caliper at all to fit a new inner pad.

Let me do some more clarifying. So, I removed the caliper to depress the piston, then I mounted the caliper back on to the car without any pads installed. I then push the caliper towards me all the way to get as much room as I can for the outer pad without any pads installed. When I have pushed the caliper in all the way towards me without any pads installed, I can not install the outer pad. There is not enough room between the rotor and the caliper and the pad does not clear the rotor.

I really should have made a video when I had everything off.

Last edited by XSV; 08-21-16 at 12:42 AM.
Old 08-21-16, 06:57 AM
Aspect
Racer

Originally Posted by XSV
Let me clarify, when I say "push in the caliper" I mean that I am actually pushing the caliper towards me, away fromt the center of the car. When I have pushed the caliper in all the way towards me, there is no room for the outer pad (the outer pad is the one furthest from the center), even without the inner pad installed. There is no room for the outer pad when I have pushed the caliper all the way towards me (away from the center of the car) but there is plenty of room for the inner pad (the pad closest to the center of the car).

Yes, I know I do not have to remove the caliper to change the pads. I have removed the caliper to depress the piston and then put back on and screwed it back into place and torqued it. Like I have said, I slid the caliper as much as I could towards me to get as much space for the outer pad, but I have not been able to fit a new outer pad into the caliper, only the inner pad. For the inner pad I don't need to adjust the caliper at all to fit a new inner pad.

Let me do some more clarifying. So, I removed the caliper to depress the piston, then I mounted the caliper back on to the car without any pads installed. I then push the caliper towards me all the way to get as much room as I can for the outer pad without any pads installed. When I have pushed the caliper in all the way towards me without any pads installed, I can not install the outer pad. There is not enough room between the rotor and the caliper and the pad does not clear the rotor.

I really should have made a video when I had everything off.
If you can get the caliper off then I can't imagine how you can't put in the outer pad. The only thing I can think of is that these pads aren't compatible somehow... or that you've bought the wrong ones even if they are "OEM lexus"
Old 08-21-16, 04:22 PM
scott1256c
Pole Position

According to Rockauto, rear pads for the IS350 fit the IS250. I have some pretty new Akebono pads. They are a bit over 16mm thick. If you check yours, I'd think they should be close. Also, the caliper fully extended to fully retracted is a difference of about 14mm. Again, that is an IS350, and the calipers do not appear to be an interchangeable part, but if yours retract much less than 14mm, I'd think there might be a problem. Someone with an IS250 might be able to provide better info.
Old 08-21-16, 08:30 PM
XSV
Instructor

If you can get the caliper off then I can't imagine how you can't put in the outer pad. The only thing I can think of is that these pads aren't compatible somehow... or that you've bought the wrong ones even if they are "OEM lexus"
According to Rockauto, rear pads for the IS350 fit the IS250. I have some pretty new Akebono pads. They are a bit over 16mm thick. If you check yours, I'd think they should be close. Also, the caliper fully extended to fully retracted is a difference of about 14mm. Again, that is an IS350, and the calipers do not appear to be an interchangeable part, but if yours retract much less than 14mm, I'd think there might be a problem. Someone with an IS250 might be able to provide better info.

Old 08-21-16, 09:28 PM
Aspect
Racer

Hm, so if we rule out the caliper and the pads then I'd say check the rotor. Maybe when taking off the caliper or inserting the pads it may have been unseated since the rotor isn't held in place by much aside from the caliper/pads and wheel when assembled so maybe try pushing in the rotor (towards the center of the car). Or even taking the rotor off the clean the backside and to clean off any accumulated dirt off the hubs and putting it back on while you're at it.
Old 08-21-16, 10:58 PM
XSV
Instructor

Hm, so if we rule out the caliper and the pads then I'd say check the rotor. Maybe when taking off the caliper or inserting the pads it may have been unseated since the rotor isn't held in place by much aside from the caliper/pads and wheel when assembled so maybe try pushing in the rotor (towards the center of the car). Or even taking the rotor off the clean the backside and to clean off any accumulated dirt off the hubs and putting it back on while you're at it.
Doubt it is the rotor. I did not replace the rotor because it is still within spec. I also made sure the rotor was pushed in all the way and was sitting flush.
Old 08-22-16, 06:25 AM
Aspect
Racer

Alright, then that's all for me then. I still believe that if your inner pad fits with wiggle room the outer should still fit when you pull it towards you even with a seized caliper which has happened to me. Unless anyone else has a better idea, I'd probably bring it to a shop or dealer to get it checked out.
Old 08-22-16, 07:56 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

The only other thing I can think of is that the caliper didn't get mounted back properly. But I can't think of a way to do it incorrectly and still get it to mount at all. So I'm kinda out of ideas.
Sorry.
Old 08-22-16, 10:10 AM
XSV
Instructor

Alright, then that's all for me then. I still believe that if your inner pad fits with wiggle room the outer should still fit when you pull it towards you even with a seized caliper which has happened to me. Unless anyone else has a better idea, I'd probably bring it to a shop or dealer to get it checked out.
There is plenty of room for the inner caliper even after I pull the caliper all the way towards me without the inner caliper installed but no room for the outer pad.

The only other thing I can think of is that the caliper didn't get mounted back properly. But I can't think of a way to do it incorrectly and still get it to mount at all. So I'm kinda out of ideas.
Sorry.
I'm sure the caliper is installed correctly. It's a simple job.

Thanks guys, guess I'll be taking it to the dealer since my check engine light came on as well.
Old 08-24-16, 12:19 PM
XSV
Instructor

car is currently at the dealership. I measured some aftermarket pads and they were thicker than the OEM parts (16.25mm vs 15.59 mm)

Quick Reply: Need Help, New Rear Pads Won't Fit on 2008 IS250 RWD