Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rear Wheel Metal Grinding Noise When Driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-16, 07:01 AM
tzxlyd
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Wheel Metal Grinding Noise When Driving

One problem after another -- so I finally replaced my front LCAs to eliminate the metal grinding noise I was hearing from my front suspension and now I am hearing an even louder grinding noise coming from my rear LH (driver side) wheel area. It sounds like a train coming to an emergency halt at a rail road track and it is constant while the car is moving either forward or backward. However, it seems to not be as loud or even sometimes disappears when I apply the brakes -- any ideas on what this could be? Could this be the rear control arm bushings or the wheel bearings? Anyone else ever have this problem?
Old 08-05-16, 09:27 AM
tzxlyd
Rookie

So, I have jacked up the car to check the back wheel --- there is no play when holding the wheel at 3/9 or 12/6 and trying to move it back and forth so I do not think it is the bushings on the arms. However, I can hear the squeaking noise when I turn the wheel (to and fro) simulating the car moving forward and backwards so I believe this may be the wheel bearings. I made an audio of the noise so it could be heard on the forum to assist me with this problem -- can anyone confirm this is the wheel bearing that needs to be replaced?
Attached Files
File Type: wav
16-08-05-11-01-51[1].wav (925.0 KB, 685 views)
Old 08-05-16, 01:59 PM
YotaSC400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did my rear wheel bearings, also had a drum brake hanging up on the drivers side causing some weird noises... Just a thought
Old 08-06-16, 06:11 AM
tzxlyd
Rookie

YotaSC400,
Thanks for that info -- did you go with OEM bearings or did you go aftermarket? Also, did you replace the hub assembly too or just the bearings? I am considering doing it myself but I know it is a tough job to press the bearings.
Old 08-06-16, 08:49 AM
YotaSC400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used koyo bearings as they were cheap, $55cad each (Japanese bearings)and in stock at my local Napa. The hubs were in good condition even though my wheel bearings were considered "dangerous" by the shop I brought my car too for an alignment. Disassembly of the rear suspension was a big job all on its own, then when it came time to press the hubs and bearings apart I couldn't, I needed a bigger hydraulic press. I took them to my brother to be pressed out, and new ones pressed in at the heavy duty shop he works at. Overall glad I did it this way cause the shop that told me they needed to be replaced quoted me $800 for rear bearings, seals, and labour. Cost me $200 and a case of beer for my bro, and took 5hrs to complete the job.
Old 08-06-16, 09:17 AM
tzxlyd
Rookie

YotaSC400,
Thanks. I have looked at buying a press from Harbor Freight but it costs more than I have been quoted to press the bearings if I remove the knuckle. I have seen some wheel bearing hub press tools but don't know if they actually work and they run between $40 - $75. I sure hate to waste money on tools that don't work only to find I will still have to take it to a shop to get the bearings removed and pressed. I just know that noise sounds horrible not to mention dangerously like the wheel might come off or something.

The only bearing and hub assembly I have found to fit my 97 SC300 is about $150 each and that's more than I want to spend. I have seen Raybestos (bearings only) for about $60 so that is about the same price range you mentioned and I have seen the Koyo at that same price of $60. If I have to change the bearing I may as well change them both in the rear and I am considering if I should also do the front -- that is the only want to justify buying a 20-ton press for about $200 or a 12 ton for about $150.