Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

ball joints worn again

Old 07-14-16, 03:04 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
Default ball joints worn again

i put new oem lower ball joints on the 98 gs4 2 years ago 20k miles, now they look worn and theres some play putting a crow bar to it. It makes this loud metal cling noise going over speed bumps sometimes not all the time. Do these oem lbj's go out that often? thanks in advance for any feedback.
Old 07-14-16, 03:21 PM
Sanfou510
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get an alignment? The lbj's may have had excessive wear to it from not gettong aligned. I went with moog Lbj's and i havent had any problems since then.
Old 07-14-16, 03:32 PM
Brahms
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sanfou510
Did you get an alignment? The lbj's may have had excessive wear to it from not gettong aligned. I went with moog Lbj's and i havent had any problems since then.
Actually this is an interesting point. I also replaced my LBJs with Moog. What is the expected lifespan of the Moog LBJ, assuming you get alignments, etc?
Old 07-14-16, 04:16 PM
lextout
Racer

yup got it aligned right after install, but also my driver side front lca bushing is worn, could also cause the noise going over bumps? its a loud clunk metal noise
Old 07-14-16, 04:36 PM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lextout
yup got it aligned right after install, but also my driver side front lca bushing is worn, could also cause the noise going over bumps? its a loud clunk metal noise
my LCA bushings are pretty jacked up and I have no noise going over bumps. I suspect something else is out of wack here. my LBJ were swapped out at 69k miles in 2009 by the previous owner (OEM). My car has 87k miles now and my mechanic had a look at my LBJ and said they were still in good shape.

EDIT** my ball joints were actually changed out in jan-2013 at 73k miles.

Last edited by FiveSeven; 07-15-16 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-14-16, 04:52 PM
lextout
Racer

Originally Posted by FiveSeven
my LCA bushings are pretty jacked up and I have no noise going over bumps. I suspect something else is out of wack here. my LBJ were swapped out at 69k miles in 2009 by the previous owner (OEM). My car has 87k miles now and my mechanic had a look at my LBJ and said they were still in good shape.
with your miles, yours is still a baby, my old get has 190k miles.
Old 07-14-16, 07:30 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

get the moogs... they have a zerg fitting which makes them greaseable... fill the grease every oil change and it should last a long time...

are you on OEM suspension or lowered? lowering the car really screws with the geometry of the car and puts more stress on the LBJs... unless you have RCAs or coilovers to adjust this might be a reason for the premature wear...
Old 07-14-16, 08:19 PM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kamlung
get the moogs... they have a zerg fitting which makes them greaseable... fill the grease every oil change and it should last a long time...

are you on OEM suspension or lowered? lowering the car really screws with the geometry of the car and puts more stress on the LBJs... unless you have RCAs or coilovers to adjust this might be a reason for the premature wear...
please educate me.. what is a RCA what is its function? How does a standard coilover put on less stress than doing a regular spring drop? I only ask because I plan to lower my car soon and wonder if I should swap in my moog LBJ and moog inner/outer tie rods while I'm at it.
Old 07-15-16, 12:28 AM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by FiveSeven
please educate me.. what is a RCA what is its function? How does a standard coilover put on less stress than doing a regular spring drop? I only ask because I plan to lower my car soon and wonder if I should swap in my moog LBJ and moog inner/outer tie rods while I'm at it.
"Roll center adjuster" It's a block/spacer that goes between your lbj and steering knuckle to correct suspension geometry on a lowered car.
Old 07-15-16, 07:19 AM
FiveSeven
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SpectraBlu
"Roll center adjuster" It's a block/spacer that goes between your lbj and steering knuckle to correct suspension geometry on a lowered car.
first I've heard of this part.. is this completely necessary for lowered cars? My G35 was pretty low and I was able to get it back into spec without any extra suspension parts but I'm guess the GS300 is different?

note: I just double checked my paper work my ball joints were changed in Jan-2013 at 73k miles.
Old 07-16-16, 10:50 PM
lextout
Racer

Default Ball Joints AGAIN

Hi there CLers

Has anyone ever changed there lower ball joints twice? i changed mine 20k miles ago, now i hear i clunk metal noise going over speed bumps, although my lca bushings need to be replaced also.

98gs400
Old 07-18-16, 06:25 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

if you know your LCA bushings need to be replaced, why don't you do that first? if you leave something broken on the car, it will put more stress on other good parts wearing them out faster...

it is quite possible this happened to your LBJs...
Old 07-19-16, 01:01 PM
lextout
Racer

Originally Posted by kamlung
if you know your LCA bushings need to be replaced, why don't you do that first? if you leave something broken on the car, it will put more stress on other good parts wearing them out faster...

it is quite possible this happened to your LBJs...
actually my lbj' are bad its my lca bushings, but i changed out both anyways.