Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What brand coilovers do you have on your gs300?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-16, 09:18 AM
nickynickt
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What brand coilovers do you have on your gs300?

I was considering BC's, but then a friend of mine told me that their for racing and wont takes bumps as good. He said D2's are good for daily driving. Anybody has a brand as well as its model that you suggest? My budget is $1200 after parts and labor.
Old 05-19-16, 01:12 PM
sade04
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are your plans for the car? I have Tein CS v2 and they ride very soft, so much so that I have them on full hard 24/7. During normal driving conditions you don't realize it but as soon as you get more aggressive in the corners its apparent that these aren't really meant for it.

I think the the best (reasonably priced) combo would be BC coils with the swift spring upgrade.
Old 05-19-16, 01:57 PM
nickynickt
Rookie

Originally Posted by sade04
What are your plans for the car? I have Tein CS v2 and they ride very soft, so much so that I have them on full hard 24/7. During normal driving conditions you don't realize it but as soon as you get more aggressive in the corners its apparent that these aren't really meant for it.

I think the the best (reasonably priced) combo would be BC coils with the swift spring upgrade.

Do you mind sending links of the products? The couls and swift springs. . . Im new to cars, my gs300 is actually my first ride
Old 05-19-16, 04:22 PM
mlracing
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run Yellow Speed Racing on mine. Might not have it in USA though..

Would go BC over D2 all day long.
Old 05-19-16, 04:49 PM
nickynickt
Rookie

Originally Posted by mlracing
I run Yellow Speed Racing on mine. Might not have it in USA though..

Would go BC over D2 all day long.

I want some coils that are versatile. Something that will hit bumps good, and handles good on corners and high speeds. . . .I want to drop it low, but not super super low.
Old 05-19-16, 07:30 PM
firelizard

Received 422 Likes on 337 Posts

BC's softest rates 10/8 are good for a car that is not very low and does not have very tight wheel to fender clearances. I wouldn't bother with Swift springs on a car that doesn't have very stiff rates and doesn't see any track time.
Old 05-20-16, 10:41 AM
nickynickt
Rookie

Originally Posted by firelizard
BC's softest rates 10/8 are good for a car that is not very low and does not have very tight wheel to fender clearances. I wouldn't bother with Swift springs on a car that doesn't have very stiff rates and doesn't see any track time.

How high does bc extreme lows go when installed with 19" rims?
Old 05-20-16, 10:55 AM
firelizard

What are you asking?
Old 05-20-16, 11:24 AM
nickynickt
Rookie

What are you asking?

im debating on purchasing between the BC extreme low or standard kit. . . I was wondering if anybody has pictures of the BC coilovers extreme low at its highest , and a picture of the standard bc coilovers at its lowest.
Old 05-20-16, 02:14 PM
firelizard

Have you asked BC any of this since you started looking? They could give you the numbers, such as how much shorter the strut is.
Old 05-23-16, 07:24 AM
dreamcar88
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

anyone have advice on the tein street advance. I drive the car to work and home thats it just looking to close the gap and have a decent ride. Dont need 900$ bcs for what i do
Old 05-23-16, 03:36 PM
firelizard

Two reasons the Street Advance are cheaper than BC:

Ride height is only adjustable via spring seat, which means you lose travel by lowering it, and it reuses the stock upper mounts, whereas BC provides their own and the whole assembly goes right in. On the other hand, the twin-tube construction of the TEIN Street Advance may allow it sufficiently more travel to make up for not being ride-height-adjustable via the lower mount. However, the monotube BC is generally considered a better design from a performance standpoint. TEIN maintains that a twin-tube is more suitable for street use, because of the extended stroke capacity, which is why they use that format for their Street series and monotube for coilovers like the Flex.

The Street Advance has a slightly stiffer spring rate in the rear compared to the BC Racing's default option. But for $50, you can order custom springs from BC, or for another additional amount, upgrade to Swift springs. Swift springs I would agree are only useful in a high spring rate or racing situation.

If you're only going to lower the car a little, the TEIN Street Advance will be okay despite it being an overall cheaper, less flexible package.
Old 05-25-16, 09:59 PM
nickynickt
Rookie

Two reasons the Street Advance are cheaper than BC:

Ride height is only adjustable via spring seat, which means you lose travel by lowering it, and it reuses the stock upper mounts, whereas BC provides their own and the whole assembly goes right in. On the other hand, the twin-tube construction of the TEIN Street Advance may allow it sufficiently more travel to make up for not being ride-height-adjustable via the lower mount. However, the monotube BC is generally considered a better design from a performance standpoint. TEIN maintains that a twin-tube is more suitable for street use, because of the extended stroke capacity, which is why they use that format for their Street series and monotube for coilovers like the Flex.

The Street Advance has a slightly stiffer spring rate in the rear compared to the BC Racing's default option. But for $50, you can order custom springs from BC, or for another additional amount, upgrade to Swift springs. Swift springs I would agree are only useful in a high spring rate or racing situation.

If you're only going to lower the car a little, the TEIN Street Advance will be okay despite it being an overall cheaper, less flexible package.

Ok well i want my car to sit real nice on my 19" rims. Not VIP slammed , more like "that cars suspension is just right" type of height. . I actually like my cars real stiff so im thinking 16k 14k so do you advice me to get swift springs? The only thing im having trouble to decide now is the extreme low bc's or the standard bc's. The standard coilovers from bc go 1" below oem suspension height plus an additional 3"'s. The extreme low however goes 2" below oem suspension plus an additional 3"'s. Im scared to get the standard because what if i want it lower? And im scared to go to the extreme low kit because what If i The height i truly desire can be satified by the standard bc coil?

Lastly, whats a good place to order my bcs from ?
Old 05-26-16, 06:58 AM
EITELS123
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with BC extreme drop. Its just safer if you ever want to change your style. I have 16k and 14k with swift spings. Depending on what other mods you have (sway bars, poly bushings..etc) you may notice that the rear might get a little more happy than it used to be. The hardest part is dialing in your shock adjustments.

This is copied from FIGS engineering. If your ordering BC get them here.

http://www.shopfigs.com/v1/index.php...&product_id=61

"The damping range was then tested for scale, after all what is adjustability if you can only use the bottom 5 settings. Overall we found a good range from 5-25 clicks on the system. 9 clicks out on the front shocks and 12 clicks out on the rear provided an excellent canyon/track setting while a more conservative 20 clicks FR and 25 clicks RR was a more suitable ride for a daily driver. Regardless of your personal settings these will get you where you want and allow drastic changes in the way your vehicle performs with a few clicks of the ****. We are proud to offer these products to the IS community and hope you will enjoy them as much as we do."
Old 05-26-16, 09:26 AM
nickynickt
Rookie

Originally Posted by EITELS123
Go with BC extreme drop. Its just safer if you ever want to change your style. I have 16k and 14k with swift spings. Depending on what other mods you have (sway bars, poly bushings..etc) you may notice that the rear might get a little more happy than it used to be. The hardest part is dialing in your shock adjustments.

This is copied from FIGS engineering. If your ordering BC get them here.

http://www.shopfigs.com/v1/index.php...&product_id=61

"The damping range was then tested for scale, after all what is adjustability if you can only use the bottom 5 settings. Overall we found a good range from 5-25 clicks on the system. 9 clicks out on the front shocks and 12 clicks out on the rear provided an excellent canyon/track setting while a more conservative 20 clicks FR and 25 clicks RR was a more suitable ride for a daily driver. Regardless of your personal settings these will get you where you want and allow drastic changes in the way your vehicle performs with a few clicks of the ****. We are proud to offer these products to the IS community and hope you will enjoy them as much as we do."

Do you have a picture of your extreme kit at its highest?