Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Question for all you Lowered 2IS's

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-16, 05:45 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Question for all you Lowered 2IS's

Hey everyone,

So ive been on coils for a few months now and after realizing that my front of my car is too high compared to my basically slammed rear, I decided to do a bigger drop on my front. Now my car is something new that I have to relearn how to drive since I wasnt used to having my front end so low..

Anyway my question is for those of you with similar drops. How do you guys get around inclines and parking lot exits? Right now as my car sits it has a GFX front and it BARELY makes it on most parking lot exits/entrances with some minor scraping. Now the thing is, im planning on switching up to the Vertex front lip in the near future and I cant seem to figure out how Im supposed to successfully avoid tearing that Vertex right off my bumper lol. Any tips or advice guys? I really love my drop and dont really wanna change it if I dont have to.

Oh and im also gonna have 19's on in about a month so I know SOME adjustment will have to be made. But not a whole lot... Anyway, what say you ClubLexus??

Last edited by Tro209; 05-04-16 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-04-16, 05:47 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Question for all you Lowered 2IS's-img_0164.png

Heres a photo of me just a few minutes ago lol.
Old 05-04-16, 08:08 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Need to see a stance point of view on how low your actually at currently from the fender to lip rim. Riding a low stance car takes practice and lots of mistakes to learn.
Tips and Tricks from Keo:

-Must be at full stiff dampening
-Side ride off the sidewalk if you know it's a challenge also angel your wheels
-keep a steady slow speed
-avoid dips , crack's , pot's or you will crack your skirt
-avoid plastic bags floating/laying on the streets or anything else

You can avoid tearing the lips but you cannot avoid scrapping. takes a sharp eye and quick thinking and it comes naturally. Driving low means you don't care who's behind you. I lost track of how many people honk at me.
Old 05-04-16, 08:14 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Keo
Need to see a stance point of view on how low your actually at currently from the fender to lip rim. Riding a low stance car takes practice and lots of mistakes to learn.
Tips and Tricks from Keo:

-Must be at full stiff dampening
-Side ride off the sidewalk if you know it's a challenge also angel your wheels
-keep a steady slow speed
-avoid dips , crack's , pot's or you will crack your skirt
-avoid plastic bags floating/laying on the streets or anything else

You can avoid tearing the lips but you cannot avoid scrapping. takes a sharp eye and quick thinking and it comes naturally. Driving low means you don't care who's behind you. I lost track of how many people honk at me.
Doh, yeah sorry about that my fault. Ill upload another pic right now. Thanks for the tips though. I have friends with cars lower than mine and the lengths they go to not scrape are crazy lol. Only problem is that the pic I posted of my car scraping is from my job when I exit and theres a slight dip at the end of that exit and also the entrance on the other side.. Guess this is gonna take a lot of practice.

Anymore tips you can give?
Old 05-04-16, 08:17 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Question for all you Lowered 2IS's-img_20160503_202001.jpg

This should help give a better idea. Im still on stock 18's so no problem with offset or anything like that.
Old 05-04-16, 08:30 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That doesn't look too bad. About the same height as mine and I got Stretched tires on 19's.

Oh I almost forgot the most important part is get used to parking slightly further BACK from the parking curb. Or else u will hit your front lips and if happen to go over and having to back up can cause serious injury to your lip. Another is just bumping it head on causing crack or disjoint.

-tips on how to park. If parking side by side with other cars look at how far they park in and u just park much further back, look for a reflection on a side panel door or just guess your way on how close you are from the front. I think you already know about Parallel parking. Just don't get too close to the curb or rash will happen.
Old 05-04-16, 08:46 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Keo
That doesn't look too bad. About the same height as mine and I got Stretched tires on 19's.

Oh I almost forgot the most important part is get used to parking slightly further BACK from the parking curb. Or else u will hit your front lips and if happen to go over and having to back up can cause serious injury to your lip. Another is just bumping it head on causing crack or disjoint.

-tips on how to park. If parking side by side with other cars look at how far they park in and u just park much further back, look for a reflection on a side panel door or just guess your way on how close you are from the front. I think you already know about Parallel parking. Just don't get too close to the curb or rash will happen.
Haha thanks bro I appreciate your help. Although to be honest even with my previous drop I had gotten used to parking furthwr away from most curbs since I would hit with my lip and all. But now I could hit on virtually any curb lol. Its all worth it though still in my opinion, this look is much better than having gap.

Do you think I could see a pic or two of your setup on 19's? I wanna get a good feel for the look. Thanks
Old 05-04-16, 09:21 PM
Ktran1039
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please PM when you sell GFX lip please
Old 05-05-16, 12:14 AM
ISland350
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not gonna lie, when i was static i avoided parking garages all together and would park outside of certain places just cuz i knew i couldn't make it. Learn your angles for speed bumps and inclines/declines you can actually make. but yah, basically be prepared to walk a little further to save ur lip
Old 05-05-16, 05:24 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ISland350
Not gonna lie, when i was static i avoided parking garages all together and would park outside of certain places just cuz i knew i couldn't make it. Learn your angles for speed bumps and inclines/declines you can actually make. but yah, basically be prepared to walk a little further to save ur lip
I see. I dont trust keavung my car outside the lot though while I work inside. Lucky for me, I can probably just start borrowing my dads Honda Accord he rarely drives anymore and just pay him for gas and what not. I really dont wanna mess anything up on my car haha.
Old 05-05-16, 09:50 AM
Eduskator
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Enter them sideway... (45 degree) but you will scrape, that's for sure. And you'll surely make others in your back angry when you'll be entering a parking from the street haha
Old 05-05-16, 10:14 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Eduskator
Enter them sideway... (45 degree) but you will scrape, that's for sure. And you'll surely make others in your back angry when you'll be entering a parking from the street haha
Haha thats what im trying to do but it still scrapes though.. But I guess as long as I dont break the lips or side skirts then its all good. For now though im contemplating taking this car off Daily Driver duties and letting her rest for a while. Probably just make this car my weekend car/grocery getter/car meet kind of car. My dads got a Honda (thats technically mine) that he said I could take to worn for whatever reason if I dont wanna take my IS anymore. So good news for me lol
Old 05-05-16, 02:11 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

What I tend to do is just not drive anywhere where I'm not familiar with the road because being low. LOL!

I take the wife's Explorer to go everywhere else.
Old 05-05-16, 08:01 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gville350
What I tend to do is just not drive anywhere where I'm not familiar with the road because being low. LOL!

I take the wife's Explorer to go everywhere else.
Haha yeah I actually took my moms old mustang to work today just to avoid that horrid scrape I got yesterday lol. But damn do I miss driving my car when I drive any of my family's "older" cars. It just makes me appreciate how great of a car the 2IS really is. Eapecially since me and my older brother (has a modded g8 gt) are the only ones in my whole family with cars that arent super slow.

Im thinking of getting me a nice beater for a while honestly. That way I can make my IS350 purely for weekend car/ Show duty car once shes done.