Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

2008 Lexus IS250 front clicking noise while turning please help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-16, 04:44 PM
Lexusgfm
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2008 Lexus IS250 front clicking noise while turning please help?

hey everyone, just recently started to hear a clicking noise while slightly turning. Reversing and while braking no noise. its only when you slightly do a 15-20 degree turn. click- click- click- click- sounds like a broke CV joint noise but i know its not cause there are no axles in the front. Im %100 sure its coming from the front left driver side.

what I'v done. I lowered the car on Tein S techs probably two months ago. I didn't start to hear the noise until about two-three weeks ago. So I'm assuming my installation is fine.

I got a second alignment a week ago and the noise went away, thinking that's what it was. then it came back two days later. Intermitten but now i notice more frequently.

I shot out the two front tires, took apart the whole brake assembly, relubed the calipers, torqued down all wheel bolts. took it for a test drive and it was gone. but the noise came back later that night.

click- click- click- click while making slight turn. this is driving me nuts!

I'm now thinking its a shot strut.. i would think maybe its the sway bar bushings or ball joints but it never made that noise before I lowered the car.

Does anyone have any advice or experience on what that clicking sound might be? I would love to get to the problem.

Old 04-28-16, 12:56 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

RWD or AWD?
Old 04-28-16, 02:43 PM
Lexusgfm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
RWD or AWD?
It's RWD.. The wife drove it yesterday and said its still clicking while turning. She's all paranoid now. Bout to just take it to the shop to see if they can figure it out. But just thought I'd ask the forum before doing so.
Old 04-28-16, 05:06 PM
albertgoq
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same here, mine is while running on low speeds on poorly paved roads, there is no sound on speedbumps and potholes. I already changed lower ball joints, shocks, top mounts, end links, rack ends, but its still there, its quite a faint sound but if your turn off the radio you can hear it
Old 04-28-16, 05:30 PM
Lexusgfm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by albertgoq
same here, mine is while running on low speeds on poorly paved roads, there is no sound on speedbumps and potholes. I already changed lower ball joints, shocks, top mounts, end links, rack ends, but its still there, its quite a faint sound but if your turn off the radio you can hear it
Do you have lowering springs on your car? how long has it been?

The clicking is only noticeable when the radio is off and i have my ear out the window making slight turns at low speed. After it straightens out, no more noise.

That's what im afraid of, changing out so many things and its still there. I believe the logical thing to do with my situation is probably take out my front struts and do it all over again.. my excuse to the wife is that the pads are aftermaket. lol. saves me some time.
Old 04-28-16, 05:44 PM
Gville350

I'm leaning towards a bent rotor dust cover touching something or more likely a wheel bearing.
Old 04-29-16, 12:25 PM
codenko
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subbed....my 08 RWD does this too....not sure if it's the endlinks. It's persisted through 3 different sets of coilovers so I don't think it has anything to do with the struts or springs.
Old 04-29-16, 01:49 PM
Lexusgfm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
I'm leaning towards a bent rotor dust cover touching something or more likely a wheel bearing.
Thanks Gville350 will look into it.
Old 04-29-16, 01:52 PM
Lexusgfm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by codenko
Subbed....my 08 RWD does this too....not sure if it's the endlinks. It's persisted through 3 different sets of coilovers so I don't think it has anything to do with the struts or springs.
That sux. I'm taking the car to the family mechanic tomorrow. Gonna shoot out the whole front left side and try to figure it all out. I'll keep thread updated, hopefully find a solution. Thanks everybody for your inputs I really appreciate it.
Old 05-01-16, 12:25 PM
Lexusgfm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexusgfm
That sux. I'm taking the car to the family mechanic tomorrow. Gonna shoot out the whole front left side and try to figure it all out. I'll keep thread updated, hopefully find a solution. Thanks everybody for your inputs I really appreciate it.
So apparently my %100 assumption that the noise was coming from the front came out to be a bad axle from the driver side rear. Within a two month span all the grease from a torn rear CV boot came free, causing clicking noise when making right turns. Unfortunately no one sells aftermarket axles. Lexus want 800+ special order. That's way too much. So I got one coming from EBay used for $100. My only option.

Hopefully this thread helps some people out. If your vehicle is making intermittent clicking while turning check both CV boots in the back. Thanks everyone.
Old 05-01-16, 12:31 PM
Gville350

So much for being 100% sure that the noise was coming from the front end.
Old 05-02-16, 11:19 PM
albertgoq
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexusgfm
Do you have lowering springs on your car? how long has it been?

The clicking is only noticeable when the radio is off and i have my ear out the window making slight turns at low speed. After it straightens out, no more noise.

That's what im afraid of, changing out so many things and its still there. I believe the logical thing to do with my situation is probably take out my front struts and do it all over again.. my excuse to the wife is that the pads are aftermaket. lol. saves me some time.
yes have f-sport shocks and swift lowering springs.

had the car lifted and the mechanic showed me that the lower control arm bushings are already cracked as well as recreated some noise (banging by hand) the rack end btw I already changed the rack end, so he suspect might be the steering rack mechanism or steering yolk coupler
Old 05-03-16, 11:12 AM
pandes
Driver

your axle just blew. u need to replace. go to mylex parts and but it from there. theres a code around this forum with a discount code. then, dont go to the deraler and go to a 3rd party dealer to install. they installed mine for 110 plus the axle was 650. have any more questions Pm me. been there, replaced that.
Old 05-03-16, 11:14 AM
pandes
Driver

BTW im awd. soo that sounds exactly what hapened in my experiance. lowered on Bc coils lowered to the lip on back and front.
Old 05-03-16, 12:02 PM
Lexusgfm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pandes
your axle just blew. u need to replace. go to mylex parts and but it from there. theres a code around this forum with a discount code. then, dont go to the deraler and go to a 3rd party dealer to install. they installed mine for 110 plus the axle was 650. have any more questions Pm me. been there, replaced that.
Thanks pandes.. I'm glad your clicking got repaired. I thought I was going crazy for a second. I'll pm you if I have any further questions. Much appreciated.

Quick Reply: 2008 Lexus IS250 front clicking noise while turning please help?