Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Aimgain or Buddy Club Coils?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-16, 08:38 AM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Aimgain or Buddy Club Coils?

I have the opportunity to pick up a set of Aimgain or Buddy Club coils that have about 6k miles on each for $400. Seller is a reputable shop that imports parts from Japan. I haven't heard of any 2GS guys running these coils and wanted to know your opinions on them. Don't have too much info besides what I've already given. Can anyone vouch for the quality of these coils or should I go for the BCRacing/KSports/Teins?etc?

Also, BC and Buddy Club aren't the same right...?
Old 04-25-16, 10:02 AM
LexusK
Racer

Default Aimgain or Buddy Club Coils?

I have the opportunity to pick up a set of Aimgain or Buddy Club coils that have about 6k miles on each for $400. Seller is a reputable shop that imports parts from Japan. I haven't heard of any 2GS guys running these coils and wanted to know your opinions on them. Don't have too much info besides what I've already given. Can anyone vouch for the quality of these coils or should I go for the BCRacing/KSports/Teins?etc?

Also, BC and Buddy Club aren't the same right...?
Old 04-25-16, 10:19 AM
LexusK
Racer

Default They're listed as Aristo/LS300 coils

Old 04-25-16, 10:49 AM
HAPAgs3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$400 is cheap! but i think its always risky buying used coilovers from Japan. Maybe its just me.
Old 04-25-16, 11:03 AM
cptndan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I'd spend the extra $500 and get new coil overs. BC and Buddy Club are different. You get get a set of BC's with custom spring rates and valved for $995 shipped.
Old 04-25-16, 11:06 AM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

They look pretty beat up. I think there's a member selling some hks hipermax in the 2gs classifieds for $600 iirc.
Old 04-25-16, 11:09 AM
cptndan
Rookie

Originally Posted by SpectraBlu
They look pretty beat up. I think there's a member selling some hks hipermax in the 2gs classifieds for $600 iirc.
I would be scared that the threads are all messed up
Old 04-25-16, 11:17 AM
cdiiwu
Driver

Im not really sure about buddy club, but I do know Aimgain is a quite reputable company and makes better quality parts than Ksport/Tein/BC (they make lots of VIP bodykits for the LS/GS too). But yeah its definitely risky to buy used coilovers from japan...although it says they've been used for 6k miles, you dont know what kind of driving habits the previous owner had. The Aimgain coilovers usually go for close to $2000 brand new, so this price is a really good deal if theyre in solid condition. Personally I'd take a chance on the Aimgains.

Also, BC and Buddy Club are NOT the same
Old 04-25-16, 11:35 AM
cdiiwu
Driver

I dont really know a whole lot about Buddy Club, but Aimgain is a pretty reputable company that makes better quality parts than Ksport/Tein/BC (they also make VIP body kits for the LS & GS). However, buying coilovers used can be pretty risky. Although it says they have about 6k miles on them, you dont know the driving habits of the previous owner. THe Aimgain coilovers go for close to $2000 brand new, so if theyre in good condition, that that is a sweet deal. Personally I'd take a chance on those.

ALso, BC and Buddy Club are NOT the same
Old 04-25-16, 11:44 AM
LexusK
Racer

Yeah I've heard of Aimgain's body kits. I figured 400 wasn't too bad and that these coils most likely was on some crazy stanced/VIP car. No one in their right mind would buy $2k coils and drift them or something... right? Can't really drive around aggressively when you're slammed beyond reason. lol.
Old 04-25-16, 06:23 PM
firelizard

Received 420 Likes on 335 Posts

Aimgain doesn't make coilovers, coilovers are made for them and they sell them.

If you feel you can have these coilovers serviced at a reasonable cost if something is wrong with them when you get them, then go for it. Choose the ones with the most suitable spring rates for your application. I seriously doubt the dampers themselves are $1,000 better than BC or something like that. Maybe one has better finishes or features though.

But keep in mind that by buying used coilovers, it's always a gamble. You have no way of knowing how many more miles you will get out of them, and if you need to service them you may end up paying a lot of money.
Chances are either one will be fine for the average lifespan (in mileage) of a project car though.

Personally, I'm saving up for BC Racing instead of buying used because I want to be able to warranty them within North America if something wears prematurely, and they are well reviewed. Their choices of spring rate also suit my needs. The only used coilover I would consider is a set of HKS Hipermax LS, if their condition were assured and the price was right. Just my $0.02.
Old 04-25-16, 06:31 PM
firelizard

Received 420 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusK
Yeah I've heard of Aimgain's body kits. I figured 400 wasn't too bad and that these coils most likely was on some crazy stanced/VIP car. No one in their right mind would buy $2k coils and drift them or something... right? Can't really drive around aggressively when you're slammed beyond reason. lol.

Never underestimate Japan.
Old 04-25-16, 09:01 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by firelizard

Never underestimate Japan.
Lol that video is awesome. That aristo has some ridiculous brake action going on
Old 05-06-16, 07:56 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If those have 6K miles on them, they must have been driven in the snow & salt and left to rot.
Honestly, they look like they have over 100K miles on them.

Maybe they just have a cheaper anti-corrosion coating on them than other brands of coilovers. My H&R coilovers use Bilstein shocks and they look like the day I installed them Of course, we don't get much harsh weather here in CA.

I've never been a fan of buying used components that are wear items - tires and suspension parts fall into this category.