Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Help needed: BC Coilovers out of the box rule of thumb for height

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-16, 05:34 AM
drwafk
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default UPDATE: Help needed: BC Coilovers out of the box rule of thumb for height

I will be installing these on my 2010 IS350 RWD and after reading a gazillion threads, couldnt find any "out of the box, this is a good starting point if you want this height or that height.." I have stock lobster crab 18inch rims and I basically want the ride to be as close to stock as possible with no gap to 1 finger gap....kind of the european look if you will. Any recommendations on how to achieve this so I can adjust the coilover PRIOR to installing? I'm just looking for a starting point and trying to avoid jacking the car up several times over to get the height I want. I'm renting a stall with a lift to do the work and dont want to be there all day finessing the height. Thank you.

Edit/Update: Thank you to Gville350 for the PMs and insight. Just finished my install. A few things I hope others can benefit from. This job took a strong 6 hours. Why you ask? Because nearly all the bolts were seized and I didnt have the proper tools to break them loose. Pain in the @ss but I got them done. Big tip here--break the bolt head loose as the nut has (for a lack of better terms) locking barbs/nubs under the nut on all the strut bolts, lower control arm, etc...
1. I had to set the preload on each and every strut. Instructions claimed they were pre-loaded but to check, glad I did. The video Gville350 posted below illustrates this fairly simply. Frankly I feel better about setting the pre-load, now I know they are set properly.
2. They are not set to any height out of the box as a matter of fact they were nearly collapsed all the way down. I set 25inches, rolled the car forward and backward, bounced on it a few times and it kept 25 inches. After going all around the car completing the rest of the struts, the front left settled down to 24 1/2 inches. Front right settled to 24 1/2 on its own. I have to say, with stock 18s this is the perfect height. It did not hit the fender in a full turn and didnt hit the fender on bumps either. Fronts are set.
3. Rear. My only gripe is that the 2 12mm bolts that hold the coilover to the chassis is not connected any longer. The old strut had a nice housing but the new ones dont have any type of fitting for the 2 bolts. I'm worried this will cause issues. Right now, I tried to set 25 inches but they settled and are tucking A LOT. My rear rim is about an inch from the fender. Tomorrow I'll adjust the rear height. I could feel the bumps in the rear of the car while driving but it was not bumping or bottoming out or anything. Still very smooth ride considering how low.
4. No pictures just yet as it is dark out but when I adjust them tomorrow morning, I'll share. The ride is drastically smoother, its very very noticeable.

I'm beat. G'night.

Last edited by drwafk; 04-18-16 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Update
Old 04-16-16, 06:43 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

The key would be getting all of the coilovers set at the same height. A good starting point would be using where they come out of the box. After that is set, install a coilover, set the preload, then set the car on the ground. I'd suggest helping the coilover settle by jumping up and down on the inner door sill between the A and B pillar. If you like the height of that single coilover, all of the others should be set the same and you're good-to-go. If you need to adjust it more, do so and just replicate on all of the remaining coilovers. Install the remaining coilovers.

Setting the preload is found here starting at 2:30 minutes in.

At your mentioned ride height, you shouldn't have any rubbing issues.

Good luck and enjoy the results!
Old 04-16-16, 07:23 AM
drwafk
Rookie

Much appreciated. A few questions.
1. What height is typically 'out of the box' or do they come full down or up? Basically I just want to know if I'm ok installing directly from the box or if I should 'set' a specific height.
2. Does the kit come with the wrench shown in the video or do I need to buy this?
3. Shouldnt they come 'pre-dampened' or do I need to do the method in the video?
Thanks again.

Last edited by drwafk; 04-16-16 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-16-16, 10:20 AM
1bimmer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drwafk
Much appreciated. A few questions.
1. What height is typically 'out of the box' or do they come full down or up? Basically I just want to know if I'm ok installing directly from the box or if I should 'set' a specific height.
2. Does the kit come with the wrench shown in the video or do I need to buy this?
3. Shouldnt they come 'pre-dampened' or do I need to do the method in the video?
Thanks again.
They come pre-loaded out the box, height is usually lower then higher. You will need to adjust damper to comfort of your needs. And they come with the wrenches also.

I done plenty and this is from my experience.
Old 04-16-16, 10:22 AM
drwafk
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1bimmer
They come pre-loaded out the box, height is usually lower then higher. You will need to adjust damper to comfort of your needs. And they come with the wrenches also.

I done plenty and this is from my experience.
Awesome thanks. I think adjusting the pre load on the damper is fairly simple just didnt know if it was done already. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-18-16, 02:17 PM
Gville350

When I purchased mine, the pre-load was not set. In fact, I remember the spring being almost loose against the bottom perch and the top hat. Just saying.
Old 04-18-16, 10:28 PM
drwafk
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gville350
When I purchased mine, the pre-load was not set. In fact, I remember the spring being almost loose against the bottom perch and the top hat. Just saying.
I just finished, you are exactly right, mine were too. I updated the OP, let me know what you think of the rear 2 x 12mm bolts.
Old 04-19-16, 01:34 PM
Gville350

What you mean by those bolts being "not connected" any more?

Glad I was able to help!
Old 04-19-16, 01:39 PM
drwafk
Rookie

What you mean by those bolts being "not connected" any more?

Glad I was able to help!
Sorry that was vague, the two bolts that secure the rear coil over to the chassis. There is no mounting plate on the new Coilover like there was on the original Strut.
Old 04-19-16, 06:50 PM
Gville350

So are you saying that your rear coilovers didn't come with BCR top hats like the fronts? So how did you install them?
Old 04-19-16, 07:24 PM
drwafk
Rookie

So are you saying that your rear coilovers didn't come with BCR top hats like the fronts? So how did you install them?
No, I've got top hats. See the attached picture. Notice how the original strut on the right has mounting brackets for the 2 x 12mm bolts to mount to chassis? Well the coilover doesnt come with that. I'm curious if this helps with fatigue over time.
Attached Thumbnails Help needed: BC Coilovers out of the box rule of thumb for height-no-mounts.jpg  
Old 04-20-16, 01:17 PM
Gville350

Oh, those. No, you don't have to worry about those any more with the new coilover design.