Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilover Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-16, 11:15 PM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Coilover Recommendations

The 3IS is the first car I'll ever be modifying, so I have no experience with coilover brands and their associated quality. After doing some digging and looking at other forums for opinions, I've narrowed it down to the HKS Max 4 GT and RSR Sports-i; however, I am definitely open to any and all suggestions.

I'm not very sold on BC coils as I've heard a lot of issues with rattling and quality (or lack there of). Similarly, I don't want to settle with springs as I do plan on keeping the car for quite some time and don't want to deal with blown struts.

My budget is around 2000 and I'm looking for a DD coilover prioritizing mild ride-height drop, comfort, and reducing understeer. Thanks!
Old 03-22-16, 11:29 PM
Brokenis
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's for street/track use definitely go with RSR for the 2k range... For a little more you can get KW v3... which will be a great track coilover...
Old 03-23-16, 08:00 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

https://www.stillen.com/rs-r-2014-20...-xbkt191m.html

RSR black i
Old 03-23-16, 09:24 AM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dnasians
These were the first coils I was introduced to. I initially planned on running those, but ultimately decided that the Sports-i would probably be a better choice for me because I don't plan on slamming my car. I'll keep them in mind though.
Old 03-23-16, 09:27 AM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Brokenis
If it's for street/track use definitely go with RSR for the 2k range... For a little more you can get KW v3... which will be a great track coilover...
Thanks for the response Broken! I have read about how great the KW v3 is, but because I have no intention of tracking my car, I figured I would save a little money. The RSR is definitely what I am leaning towards, but the HKS was brought to my attention in the 3IS classifieds. Is HKS not as reputable as RSR or do you feel like it's worth spending that little extra?
Old 03-23-16, 11:26 AM
STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MasonGrey
Thanks for the response Broken! I have read about how great the KW v3 is, but because I have no intention of tracking my car, I figured I would save a little money. The RSR is definitely what I am leaning towards, but the HKS was brought to my attention in the 3IS classifieds. Is HKS not as reputable as RSR or do you feel like it's worth spending that little extra?
I would personally stick with the tried and true RSR. HKS tends to be more track focused, but don't have any personal experience with their coilovers or know who makes them.
Old 03-23-16, 11:16 PM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Originally Posted by STILLEN
I would personally stick with the tried and true RSR. HKS tends to be more track focused, but don't have any personal experience with their coilovers or know who makes them.
Thanks a ton Mark! I definitely will stick with the RSR. Do you have any input on Black-i vs. Sports-i? From what I've gathered, the Sports-i is the default choice and the Black-i is meant for slamming the car, but you would probably know better than I would.
Old 03-23-16, 11:45 PM
Brokenis
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends what you want to do with the car. The sport and black coilovers are identical except that the black gets more suspension travel and stiffer springs. If you want to slam or ride low go with blacks. If you're looking at 2 or more finger gap, go with sports....
Old 03-23-16, 11:56 PM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Brokenis
It depends what you want to do with the car. The sport and black coilovers are identical except that the black gets more suspension travel and stiffer springs. If you want to slam or ride low go with blacks. If you're looking at 2 or more finger gap, go with sports....
I understand. Thanks for the input guys!
Old 03-24-16, 11:32 AM
STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MasonGrey
Thanks a ton Mark! I definitely will stick with the RSR. Do you have any input on Black-i vs. Sports-i? From what I've gathered, the Sports-i is the default choice and the Black-i is meant for slamming the car, but you would probably know better than I would.
As Brokenis said, the Black-i are for slamming the car. The shorter dampener stroke and stiffer springs are designed to be really low, not bottom out, but still retain some comfort. Both are great options it just depends on what your goals are