Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Allowable Mods for HPDE Events at Road Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-16, 06:47 AM
alnorton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allowable Mods for HPDE Events at Road Atlanta

I've been doing high speed driving events at Road Atlanta for the last several years. I'm in the process of selling my current track car and plan to modify my 2006 IS350 (sport Package) to give it better cornering and braking ability on a road course. It will no longer be a daily driver.

I have an extended warranty and must stay within the confines of allowable modifications that will not void the warranty.

I don't plan to spend money on go fast items bc the ROI is a pitiful amount of power/dollar. With the car I'm selling, if more power were needed, one would just buy a couple of larger turbos and make the other necessary mods to accommodate them. Large power gains were possible for reasonable amounts of dollars..

My thoughts at present are to install the F-Sport shocks and keep the linear rate springs already on the car. Front and rear anti-roll bars evidently used to be on the list of F-Sport mods for the 2IS cars but I don't see them currently listed. I do see them available online from various companies so that would certainly be another modification I will plan. I've just purchased some Michelin Pilot SS tires. I will be flushing my brake system fluid and replacing with Castrol SRF bc I already have an adequate reserve supply.

What rotor/pad combination will give the best track performance? I'm not sure 6-pot fronts are really necessary. I just want some combination that will not fade after 20 minutes running in hard in a session. l know 6 pot calipers with larger rotors will dissipate more heat but the limiting factor is always the adhesion of the tires.

The main thrust of my post is to learn what parts from the ISF will fit my car and increase cornering performance. If there's an existing thread that explains, please direct me---I couldn't find one.

thanks in advance for your help.

Al
Old 03-04-16, 05:26 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

What year of IS-F do you have? Is that the car you're selling?

No thought of upgrading to Ohlins for a true track-car suspension? This would be my go-to setup if my '06 IS350 sports pkg was not my DD.

Love that you mentioned about the Castrol SRF brake fluid because in my own research I've read that it's basically the tip top fluid to use; it's just the price that is like WOW. LOL! Have you found this is your favorite to run?

What wheel and tire size setup? Why not a more aggressive tire pkg since you're on the fence with the BBK upgrade? If you're sticking with the factory braking pkg, you'll want to go with Carbotech XP 10s, 12, or 20s.

IF you've got a Torsen LSD or an aftermarket LSD in the IS-F, that can be moved to the IS350, Same thing with the IS-F factory braking pkg; that can be adapted to the IS350. Besides those two upgrades, the only other one from a IS-F I can think of would be the rear sway bar; but I'd recommend an F-sport bar with adjustable end links.

Any thoughts on PPE headers to give you that extra kick along with the recently released tuned ECU availability from RR Racing?
Old 03-06-16, 05:41 AM
alnorton
Driver School Candidate

Car is is a 2006 with sport suspension. I'm not selling it. Am planning to make it a minimally modified track car. I don't want to do anything that could void my after-market extended warranty. Am selling a 2002 Porsche 996 turbo.

I've run the SRF in the Porsche for many years and never had evidence of boiling with really hard use at very high temps. Wheels are stock 8X18 and 8.5X18.

I'm looking for recommendations for slotted 1-piece rotors and pads that will be suitable for track use only. Don't care about dust, squeeling, etc. Just want a high coefficient of friction and I can't find much out there. Favorite pads for Porsche were PFC 11's on front and 08's on rear. They're not made for the is350.

Thanks for the post.
Old 03-06-16, 08:56 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finding good track specific stuff for the IS350 is tough. Just not a huge market for it. I am just into track days but here is what I have found over the years for my 08 IS350.

Stock breaks are pretty good buthave their limitations. Very little aftermarket stuff to increase performance other than a BBK kit. There are no "high performance" rotors that I have found. I use stoptech cryo rotors which do ok. I think DBA4000 are the best I have found. The only track pads that I have found are CarboTechs or Raybestos. I was deciding between the CarboTech XP10/8 or Raybestos st43 pads. I went with the crabotech due to price but I heard the st43 pads last much longer with similar performance. You can get more aggressive pads but I have worried that the extra heat generated will destroy the stock break system. Even with the XP8/10 combo I use the rotors glow bright red at night events. I use ATE SuperBlue fluid which I have never had an issue with and is cheap. This is a good setup for street tires and will be fine for 20min sessions but after 20-25 min you can feel things starting to fade. I tired a set of R-comps (Toyo R888) and they overpowered my setup so I went back to Dunlop DZ2's and the breaks are much happier.

If you still have the OEM 06 suspension it is time for new struts for the track. I bought BC coilovers with swift springs (12/10K, linear spring rates) which are good low cost coilovers. Or you can upgrade to K3's for about double the price which might be better if you are spending a lot of time at the track. You will need the adjustability over the OEM stuff. I would also recommend getting some adjustable camber arms front and rear. WIth the OEM camber I would destroy the outer edge of the front tires after just a few track days. With proper camber the tires last much longer and performance is much better. Sway bars are a must as well. Cheap and make a huge difference.

I also run a square setup with 255/35/18's all around. Really helps understeer and being able to rotate the tires adds a lot of life. Will need aftermarket wheels though. I use 18X8.5 +35 and they fit well with no rubbing or modifications.

Last edited by Sportskid1; 03-06-16 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-07-16, 04:59 AM
alnorton
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sportskid1
Finding good track specific stuff for the IS350 is tough. Just not a huge market for it. I am just into track days but here is what I have found over the years for my 08 IS350.

Stock breaks are pretty good buthave their limitations. Very little aftermarket stuff to increase performance other than a BBK kit. There are no "high performance" rotors that I have found. I use stoptech cryo rotors which do ok. I think DBA4000 are the best I have found. The only track pads that I have found are CarboTechs or Raybestos. I was deciding between the CarboTech XP10/8 or Raybestos st43 pads. I went with the crabotech due to price but I heard the st43 pads last much longer with similar performance. You can get more aggressive pads but I have worried that the extra heat generated will destroy the stock break system. Even with the XP8/10 combo I use the rotors glow bright red at night events. I use ATE SuperBlue fluid which I have never had an issue with and is cheap. This is a good setup for street tires and will be fine for 20min sessions but after 20-25 min you can feel things starting to fade. I tired a set of R-comps (Toyo R888) and they overpowered my setup so I went back to Dunlop DZ2's and the breaks are much happier.

If you still have the OEM 06 suspension it is time for new struts for the track. I bought BC coilovers with swift springs (12/10K, linear spring rates) which are good low cost coilovers. Or you can upgrade to K3's for about double the price which might be better if you are spending a lot of time at the track. You will need the adjustability over the OEM stuff. I would also recommend getting some adjustable camber arms front and rear. WIth the OEM camber I would destroy the outer edge of the front tires after just a few track days. With proper camber the tires last much longer and performance is much better. Sway bars are a must as well. Cheap and make a huge difference.

I also run a square setup with 255/35/18's all around. Really helps understeer and being able to rotate the tires adds a lot of life. Will need aftermarket wheels though. I use 18X8.5 +35 and they fit well with no rubbing or modifications.
thanks for all the good information. Like you, I'm having trouble finding much performance stuff. None of the pads seem to have a really good coefficient of friction --those I can find any data on.

I've just purchased the extended warranty last weekend and when I get the actual policy this week, I'm going to call and be sure if I modify suspension and something goes wrong elsewhere, like engine and drivetrain, that the warranty will still cover areas that couldn't be tied to suspension modifications. I know the car will desperately need some neg camber. Coilovers would be nice for adjustability and lowering ride height. I'll just have to see what the boundaries are and try to get something in writing to that effect.
Old 03-07-16, 01:52 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Sorry, I have to say I find it funny to get an extended warranty on a "track car".

Here's the specs on the Carbotech XPs :

http://www.ctbrakes.com/brake-compounds2.asp

LSD options for an IS350 are :

*IS-F '10+ Torsen LSD
*OS Giken
*ATS Carbon
*TOMs
*Quaife (if you can find one!)