Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake rotors

Old 04-22-03, 04:49 AM
Princeton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake rotors

I may need to replace my stock rotors as I just had them resurfaced due to warpage. Can anyone suggest a source and pricing for stock replacements?
Old 04-22-03, 10:24 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you want stock size(aftermarket), or purly stock rotors?
Old 04-23-03, 04:55 AM
Princeton
Driver School Candidate

Stock size - I'm OK with slotted and/or cross drilled. I'm trying to get a handle on the cost. They were probably resurfaced along with the pad replacement - and then they were resurfaced 15,000 miles later. This leads me to conclude that they are getting thin - and that they may re-warp.

If they warp again, I think that it'll be more cost effective to replace (I can do this), but I want to be prepared with pricing and vendors.
Old 04-23-03, 06:26 PM
RAristo
Lead Lap

Tirerack carries some Brembo (plain), EBC, and Power slot (slotted) OEM replacement rotors. I wouldn't say their price is the best but at least very reliable. You can also PM SupraTRD (Steve Ganz) about rotors. Best luck.
Old 04-24-03, 04:52 AM
Princeton
Driver School Candidate

RAisto:

Thank you. I'll check out Tire Rack.

Princeton
Old 05-02-03, 07:53 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

I am using Bradi disc rotors. Those are very good and the price is about 60.00 a piece. When it comes down to purchasing cross drilled/ sloted rotors, I would recommend a good brand. The inexpensive ones can be out of balance. That is why my mechanic put the disc rotors instead of the cross drilled/slotted rotors.. Also remember that slotted/cross drilled are good for racing and not normal everyday driving. If you plan to do an upgrade, just go for the cross drilled rotors for daily use...
Old 05-06-03, 05:07 AM
Princeton
Driver School Candidate

Thank you.

Do you have a source to recommend?
Old 05-06-03, 07:23 AM
RAristo
Lead Lap

For daily use, I would recommend slot rotors instead of cross-drilled. If you want top of the line, choose Brembo or Power Slot. Even with my Stoptech 14" setup, I still choose slotted. Here is my reason. If the cross-drilled rotors aren't casted which means they just drill the plain rotors by machine, the integrity of the rotors is damaged. I've seen high quality rotors cracked on BMW forums and it's rather scary....
Old 05-08-03, 01:03 PM
nudderGS400
Pole Position

Default Hey Princeton

I went with the drilled rotors from iRotor ($249/pair) on ebay and ordered EBC green pads from TireRack. The rotors came slightly bent and had to be resurfaced before installing to make them true.

I now have the stock rotors on with the EBC pads because the drilled rotors warped so bad I scared people in the car with steering whhel shake. I still haven't found a shop in the Bucks County/NJ area that will resurface them for me. They are in my trunk (for weight in case we have another flash snowstorm)

If I had to do it over again, which i am about to do... I would buy some smooth (non-drilled/slotted) rotors from Carson Toyota and keep the EBC Green Pads, spend a couple of bucks on SS lines and call it a day til I'm ready to go Supra Big Brake or StopTech Big Brake upgrade (both require new wheels) for me.

You may also want to check out the ROTURA brake group buy Steve Ganz has going now.

Enjoy.