Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Squeal when applying brakes in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-16, 12:25 PM
joshua28
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeal when applying brakes in reverse

It used to happen only after a cold start in the morning. After a while, the squeal would go away. Then it started to happen every time I brake while reversing. I recently changed the rear brake pads and rotors. Problem still exists. Should I change the front too?
Old 02-21-16, 12:34 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Why not have someone stand outside the car when this is happening so they can tell you what wheel or wheels it is coming from?
Old 02-21-16, 01:20 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Could be the kind of pad you are using. I can't remember what brand it was, but my brakes would make a noise, then after the first initial taps of the brake, the noise would go away. When i asked the dealer, they said it was the pad material causing the noise.
Old 02-21-16, 06:11 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

In my experience, this is completely normal...especially if you park outside in the weather over night.
Old 02-21-16, 10:27 PM
20LS01
Driver

Were the caliper pins and pads lubed up in the correct locations with the appropriate grease? My car squeaked when i first got it and i serviced the brakes and no longer have any kind of of noises.
Old 02-22-16, 07:29 AM
Trolling55
Rookie

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
Could be the kind of pad you are using. I can't remember what brand it was, but my brakes would make a noise, then after the first initial taps of the brake, the noise would go away. When i asked the dealer, they said it was the pad material causing the noise.
Same here, its only when I first back out of my garage early in the morning. After that car drives fine, no squeak after the initial brake
Old 02-22-16, 07:39 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Just to add another data point, no squeak here. Using Lexus low dust pads.
Old 02-22-16, 11:34 AM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check your brakes, specially rear brakes.
Old 02-23-16, 06:57 AM
Soledad
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My car has been doing this very same thing (squealing when backing up after a cold start) since purchasing it back in November. The squealing is so loud it's pretty embarrassing. It's never done it while moving forward.

Now, before I start backing up I give my brakes about 10 taps and do a couple of small stop/go's while backing up and it seems to stop the noise. Here in a few weeks I'll have time to pull the wheels off and double check all of the brake hardware.
Old 02-23-16, 02:32 PM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

My is350 does the same thing. I first blamed the cold but after a few days in a row I thought maybe I needed to change my brakes. My brakes look fine and they don't squeal outside of backing out of my parking spot so I just assumed it was something to ignore for now.
Old 02-24-16, 10:04 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the caliper seizing. Theyre known to go on our cars
Old 02-24-16, 02:52 PM
stylezz
Driver School Candidate

it's a common issue and completely normal from what my Lexus dealership has told me. I have had the callipers checked, regreased, shims and brake pad plus rotors changed, yet the same noise comes from the passenger right rear side only. One of those weird issues that come and goes depending on the weather
Old 03-07-16, 02:25 PM
Soledad
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I've cured my brake squealing.....so far. Time will tell.
I pinned the squealing down to my front brakes. But I basically did the same thing to the rears also.
And I don't have glazed pads/rotors so I was sure my problem was a lube issue.

I pulled the front pads out and lubed the sides of the pads that make any contact with the caliper and the big spring ends that sits on the top of the pads with this stuff:

"Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant" - Slimey purple/bluish lubricant

Then on the back side of the pads that make contact with the caliper pistons and the middle of the spring that holds the guide pin in place I used this stuff:

"CRC Disc Brake Quiet 05016" - This stuff is not a lubricant and shouldn't be used as such.

So far so good after a day or so. Brakes feel normal (as normal as can be for having seized rear calipers). We had a really good rain here today and I had to run some errands so I'm interested to see if the stuff washes off and the squeal returns.

Last edited by Soledad; 03-07-16 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-26-19, 06:40 AM
ojglexus
Driver School Candidate

Default Squeal when applying brakes in reverse - Me Too!

Hey Soledad,

Did your break squealing stay gone after your fix? Mine is the same as yours. Such a horrible squeal, it can be heard 2 streets over (no kidding). Very embarrassing. Brand new pads and rotors. 2 weeks later went on holiday for 10 days (in middles of Canadian winter). 1st day driving when I am back and the problem is there. Only in reverse. Only 1st thing in the morning. Never shows by the time I drive to my mechanic so I can only show videos.

Appreciate any insights you can provide. Thx!
Originally Posted by Soledad
Well, I've cured my brake squealing.....so far. Time will tell.
I pinned the squealing down to my front brakes. But I basically did the same thing to the rears also.
And I don't have glazed pads/rotors so I was sure my problem was a lube issue.

I pulled the front pads out and lubed the sides of the pads that make any contact with the caliper and the big spring ends that sits on the top of the pads with this stuff:

"Permatex 24125 Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant" - Slimey purple/bluish lubricant

Then on the back side of the pads that make contact with the caliper pistons and the middle of the spring that holds the guide pin in place I used this stuff:

"CRC Disc Brake Quiet 05016" - This stuff is not a lubricant and shouldn't be used as such.

So far so good after a day or so. Brakes feel normal (as normal as can be for having seized rear calipers). We had a really good rain here today and I had to run some errands so I'm interested to see if the stuff washes off and the squeal returns.