Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How good were your stock shocks with lowering springs?

Old 01-30-16, 03:29 PM
Dynamikone
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How good were your stock shocks with lowering springs?

Hi all,
I am looking to lower my IS350 with springs since coilovers aren't my option atm (yes I know maybe I should wait till I have enough money for them)
there aren't many support from the shock shops for our model because they are just getting popular here in NZ so I decided to go with springs.

During my research I realized that stock shocks might wear out prematurely due to the operating range with lowering springs so I would like to get some feedback on your experience if any went my way.

If things comes to the worst and if I absolutely have to I will go coilovers as it seems it might be less hassle after all than having springs installed.

Thanks in advance!

Eric
Old 01-30-16, 10:22 PM
leftyjohn
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got an 08 IS250 and installed Eibach springs in 09 so the car was 1 year old. So far I've had no problems w/original shocks but the car has only 48K miles on it. At least 40-42K w/springs installed.
Old 01-31-16, 01:01 PM
Dynamikone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by leftyjohn
I've got an 08 IS250 and installed Eibach springs in 09 so the car was 1 year old. So far I've had no problems w/original shocks but the car has only 48K miles on it. At least 40-42K w/springs installed.
Thanks for the input John, not too sure if they have Eibach springs here tho.. Might have to order from the states if they ship overseas
Old 02-12-16, 03:44 PM
TomTom236
Driver School Candidate

I have H&R springs on my stock sport shocks and it's super bouncy. at higher speeds on the freeway the steering gets loose and feels sloppy. this is even with brand new BFG pro comp 2 all season tires.

I've been trying to find some non-sport springs & shocks to replace my setup.

I love the look, but can't stand the ride. Not really willing to dump more money into a shock or coilovers and not know the problem will solved.
Old 02-18-16, 09:03 PM
Toxicxk23
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my 07 IS350 with 65k on it with stock suspension. I replaced the springs right away with H&R's and kept the stock shocks. She's at about 98k now and everything still feels fine. I drive her pretty aggressively too.
Old 03-09-16, 10:57 PM
Varrg
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TomTom236
I have H&R springs on my stock sport shocks and it's super bouncy. at higher speeds on the freeway the steering gets loose and feels sloppy. this is even with brand new BFG pro comp 2 all season tires.

I've been trying to find some non-sport springs & shocks to replace my setup.

I love the look, but can't stand the ride. Not really willing to dump more money into a shock or coilovers and not know the problem will solved.
I too have H&R springs with stock shocks. I had the springs put on around 30,000 miles, car is now at 65,000. I know what you mean about it being bouncy, it's very annoying. I'd considered adding the F-Sport shocks, not sure how much of a difference that would make though.
Old 03-10-16, 09:21 AM
idrivean8
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dynamikone
Hi all,
I am looking to lower my IS350 with springs since coilovers aren't my option atm (yes I know maybe I should wait till I have enough money for them)
there aren't many support from the shock shops for our model because they are just getting popular here in NZ so I decided to go with springs.

During my research I realized that stock shocks might wear out prematurely due to the operating range with lowering springs so I would like to get some feedback on your experience if any went my way.

If things comes to the worst and if I absolutely have to I will go coilovers as it seems it might be less hassle after all than having springs installed.

Thanks in advance!

Eric
I got Eibach for my ride (2009 is350) on stock shocks as well. I got them put in somewhere around the 20k range in 2010. I'm at 126k now and one of the shocks is just starting to leak.

As for suspension... the IS350's suspension was always soft, the Eibach made minor improvements, but I think to counter the body roll, I would add coilovers and probably some undercarriage frames or whatever they're called. Before the IS i drove a rx8, which bone stock had less body roll and I did a number of suspension upgrades to make it feel like i was riding on rails, I'm older now so I like the lexus comfort, but still kind of want a sportier ride akin to the newer IS.

Bottom line, I went about 100k on an Eibach/stock set-up, so if my anecdotal evidence is to be believed, you should be fine.