Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Review of Koni FSD + Eibach Pro lowering springs!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-15, 12:45 PM
Fojo
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up Review of Koni FSD + Eibach Pro lowering springs!

***REVIEW IS FOR 2006 IS250 6MT***

What else can I say... Whatever claims Koni made about the FSDs and the Frequency Selective Dampening is absolutely true! Paired along with the Eibach Pro springs on my 06 IS250, it has lowered 1-1.5 inches and it looks great and drives smoother than my stock non-sport suspension. The best word I can use to describe it is Composed. The car seems much more planted, as cliche as that sounds. Squat, roll, and dive is DRASTICALLY reduced, yet it floats over sharp bumps because of the special valving in the dampers. The Eibach springs aren't harsh at all. Granted, I have never had an aftermarket suspension on any other car, nor have I driven an f-sport IS, so I have nothing to compare and contrast against, but It for sure is much more responsive/sporty, AND smoother and more comfortable than stock suspension.

My buddy and I installed them ourselves with basic tools. well, he had some nice snap-on impact drivers and bar lights which were pretty freaking sweet so that made it nice. I for sure recommend a large pry-bar, a floor jack, and 4 jack-stands and then all the other standard tools needed. and a GOOD SPRING COMPRESSOR!! the pittsburgh one he bought cross threaded on the first shock so we had to but it off. He ended up bringing the new stuff to his shop and used the industrial wall mounted compressor. the rears were more of a pain to do in terms of lining everything up and because we needed to pull the trunk carpet out, and all of my subs and amps. My buddy tackled putting both fronts back together by himself in 20 mins while i was hooking my sound equipment back up in the trunk. other than that, it was relatively straightforward. Just took a little tweaking to get some bolts lined up, but when we took a break and looked at it for a while it was pretty easy to figure out.
Some key points, Make sure you replace the shock mounts front and rear. mine were falling apart and very hard at 118,000 miles thats on my car. Also, my front shocks didn't have a rubber bumper installed on the lower spring seen in fig 1. You can see what I'm talking about in Fig. 2 the rear shocks have it. (thanks Lexus dealer) you need to re-use the old ones. By the time I noticed it was too late. so I just went ahead with the install. No noise or creaking or anything but I assume that the ride will be much smoother with them. I also did not do the Bushing re-set, which I hear will make the ride even smoother still.
Shoutout to 4grDrvr for being a great seller and keeping in touch, and for pointers on the Install!!

Fig 1. Missing rubber bumper on front shocks

Fig 2. Rear shocks with re-used rubber bumper

During Install

Plenty low!!!

Last edited by Fojo; 12-07-15 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Added year and model of car
Old 12-08-15, 09:42 AM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the review, I was searching for shocks that would be more comfortable without sacrificing the handling. FSD Seems to kill it. How much can we get them for ?
Old 12-08-15, 09:50 AM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to give you an Idea of how much.

http://jmautosports.com/koni/koni-fs...i-2028234.aspx

He is a vendor here.
Old 12-08-15, 09:57 AM
Fojo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Icy350

He is a vendor here.
I searched a few places before I bought them off of 4grDriver, and they didn't have any, one guy said they are discontinued. I'm sure with enough searching you can still find them and maybe cheaper. They are worth it for sure. I know the obvious "should have just gotten coilovers" argument will be said, but i opted away from that because from what i understand coilers can either be comfortable and too soft so as to bottom out, or too stiff. If you want handling then for sure its the best option, but i valued comfort over handling, and the FSDs for sure give me both. Best of both worlds, yet master of none. just right IMHO. another HUGE plus is that Koni offers a lifetime warranty, so if they ever leak or go bad they will replace them, effectively never having to buy shocks again.
Old 12-08-15, 12:10 PM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Icy350

He is a vendor here.
Damn , someone said they used to be for something like $ 630 shipped

Might consider those cheapo http://www.ebay.com/itm/KYB-4-STRUTS...5VZ7FA&vxp=mtr

Donno if they give comfortable ride though.
Old 12-08-15, 06:07 PM
pheonix72
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very accurate review of KONI FSD. I used to run these with Eibach on MKV Gti and now running these with just Sport package springs on my IS350 and very happy with the setup.
These are harder to find now but some time they go on clearance so keep an eye out. I paid $660 for the FSD over the summer.
To the OP, the Lifetime warranty only apply to the original retail purchaser*so dont count on KONI to give you free replacement if you bought them used!
Old 12-10-15, 09:22 AM
lexphin
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too installed FSD about 4 months ago. Totally agree with OP. AMAAZING product. Combined with F Sport springs ride comfort better than stock with all the perks of drastically improved performance. Got them from Tire Rack for $860 or so... were on sale the only place that had them in stock.
Old 01-15-16, 07:56 AM
Fojo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by pheonix72
Very accurate review of KONI FSD. I used to run these with Eibach on MKV Gti and now running these with just Sport package springs on my IS350 and very happy with the setup.
These are harder to find now but some time they go on clearance so keep an eye out. I paid $660 for the FSD over the summer.
To the OP, the Lifetime warranty only apply to the original retail purchaser*so dont count on KONI to give you free replacement if you bought them used!
He never registered them apparently, I have all the documentation so fingers crossed !