Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Akebono brake pads review vs Lexus OEM Pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-16, 12:52 AM
MrKayP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Akebono brake pads review vs Lexus OEM Pads

Hello everyone,

I haven't been an active member but i been driving my car lots of time. So I would like to post about akebono pads vs the lexus pads just to give a good sense of people who are looking to change pads.

When i first purchase these pads and started to test the brakes i was dissapointed because these brakes didn't perform to what i intended to do such as late braking but after awhile all brakes are the same they stop the car. After driving these brakes it gave me a good sense that it's not always about the compound of the brakes but how you brake smoothly and when you brake.
1. Akebono pads are hands down long lasting and give you enough stopping you need on the streets. These pads are simply long lasting and quiet.
2. When applying pressure to the pedal when braking it doesn't have have initial bite but i can tell you that the harder you press the brake pedal the more stopping you'll have.

Overall akebono's are like 70-80$ for a pair of front and rears are like 60$ these pads are no doubt going to last you like around 40,000 miles even if you daily drive. These pads are good for the money and long lasting.
if you want performance go for the hawk pads which are around 90$ a pair for fronts or lexus oem pads if your on a budget.

Lexus pads:

1. Initially these oem high dust pads have a good bite and give me good stopping power actually pedal feels more feedback compared to akebono.
2. The life for the oem pads are like between 5k mileage - 10k mileage depends how much you drive on average,
3, i would purchase oem pads next time because overall they have more friction and better stopping power but these pads don't last long.

Last edited by MrKayP; 01-04-16 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-04-16, 08:27 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you for taking the time to post that informative review.

I just bought a set of Akebono myself, and was hearing that these were comparable to oem feel.
Bummer that they don't have the same amount of initial bite, but at least the brake dust should be greatly reduced.

Guess I'll just have to wait for them to arrive and see.
Old 01-05-16, 09:12 AM
Ktran1039
Driver

Originally Posted by LexSense
Thank you for taking the time to post that informative review.

I just bought a set of Akebono myself, and was hearing that these were comparable to oem feel.
Bummer that they don't have the same amount of initial bite, but at least the brake dust should be greatly reduced.

Guess I'll just have to wait for them to arrive and see.
I just installed these about 2 weeks ago. IMO the initial bite is a tiny bit less, but honestly the difference is minimal so it isn't noticable.

Very smooth and low brake dust and they last longer.
Old 01-05-16, 09:33 AM
whitecel
Pole Position

Also, what rotors are you running with the pads?
Old 01-06-16, 12:14 AM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Changed my front OEM after 17k km
Now my front is Akebono at 25k km and they still have 40% of life in them.
Old 01-06-16, 12:15 AM
See5
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whitecel
Also, what rotors are you running with the pads?
For me am running OEM rotors and I noticed less wear on the rotor.
Old 01-06-16, 12:02 PM
Flexuus
Driver School Candidate

Just got a front brake job (new rotors + pads) done a couple hours ago for my is350. Shop owner didn't have OEM parts I wanted so went with Pilenga rotors and Akebono pads. Brake feel is mushy and is nothing like the OEM instant stopping power we all love. I'm going to give it 200 miles and if the mushy brake sensation doesn't disappear, back to OEM rotor and pads I go. Total cost was $340, labor was one hour.

Last edited by Flexuus; 01-06-16 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Will give it 500 miles
Old 01-06-16, 06:16 PM
videopho
Driver School Candidate

Replaced mine with Akebono fronts and so far and I'm very happy with it.
Still needs some bedding yet but no dust on my wheels which I like the most.
I paid $100 part & labor at a local mom & pop shop.
Old 01-07-16, 11:03 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced the front pads and rotors on my 06 IS 350 with Akebono pads. I only ever bought Akebono for my LS of 8 years and liked it.

I'm with you, at first I was disappointed that they didn't have the 'bite' the OEM pads had (even when worn out), but as I've driven over the last few weeks they've recovered most of that bite.

I feel like theres still PLENTY of stopping power, but I'm able to brake a bit more smoothly, I'm not always jerking my passengers around the moment I even tap the brake pedal which is nice for them lol.

Either way I'm happy. They do have more dust during the first month or so as they settle in a bit but it goes WAY down after that..at least it always did on my LS Akebono pads.
Old 03-10-16, 04:48 PM
Flexuus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Flexuus
Just got a front brake job (new rotors + pads) done a couple hours ago for my is350. Shop owner didn't have OEM parts I wanted so went with Pilenga rotors and Akebono pads. Brake feel is mushy and is nothing like the OEM instant stopping power we all love. I'm going to give it 200 miles and if the mushy brake sensation doesn't disappear, back to OEM rotor and pads I go. Total cost was $340, labor was one hour.
800 miles later and am NOT a fan of Pilenga rotors due to rust. Look at the pictures. I'm going back to OEM. The Akebono pads are great though since I don't see the brake dust and the bite is smooth yet strong.

^Front driver side wheel..^

^Front driver side wheel..^

^Passenger side front wheel.^
Old 03-11-16, 01:15 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

^Did your rotors there come with a black coating on those locations? If not, I'd recommend looking ones that did...like my PowerSlot rotors.
Old 03-11-16, 02:33 PM
Flexuus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Did your rotors there come with a black coating on those locations? If not, I'd recommend looking ones that did...like my PowerSlot rotors.
It did not come with a black coating.
Old 03-13-16, 04:53 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

lightly sand the surface rust and spray 2 coats of flat black.
Old 03-14-16, 09:54 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

You guys do not like the classic rust look?

Due to a slight squeak (on reverse), replaced a store bought Ceramic pads with Akebono yesterday. Used a Carquest-Advanced Auto Rotor set, which looked like the OEM's (with slotted centers). Did a couple of bedding procedures, everything is looking good. Crossing my fingers.
Old 03-18-16, 11:20 PM
Varrg
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flexuus
800 miles later and am NOT a fan of Pilenga rotors due to rust. Look at the pictures. I'm going back to OEM. The Akebono pads are great though since I don't see the brake dust and the bite is smooth yet strong.
I have the same inner rust ring with akebono pads and OEM rotors, looks ugly
The following users liked this post:
User 122922 (10-05-21)

Quick Reply: Akebono brake pads review vs Lexus OEM Pads