Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

SC400 V8 LHS LCA bush damage, replacement suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-15, 08:26 PM
lateralnw
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 V8 LHS LCA bush damage, replacement suggestions?

Had a noise coming from the Left hand side of the car.
suspect suspension of some sort.
discovered Lower control arm rear bush damage.

Not sure what I should use to replace it.
Note the other rubbers on the car are what appear to be original... and its done just over 350KLM!!
Old 12-15-15, 08:50 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace both arms...BOTH ARMS. If you replace bushings on either side only, the newly-rigid side will affect ride and future wear. And for the labor involved in putting in new bushings, you could get a brand new arm with a new and tight ball joint.

Save up if you have to and do it right. The steering on the car should feel like new afterwards.
Old 12-18-15, 08:39 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah, if you aren't doing the work yourself you might as well replace the whole arm and on both sides since they both have the same amount of wear/miles. Looks like you already have poly bushings so make sure you get Supra LCA to get a similar stiffness unless you want a cushy ride then grab SC LCA.
Old 12-19-15, 06:50 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Yeah, if you aren't doing the work yourself you might as well replace the whole arm and on both sides since they both have the same amount of wear/miles. Looks like you already have poly bushings so make sure you get Supra LCA to get a similar stiffness unless you want a cushy ride then grab SC LCA.
Is that really accurate though? Or is that just people going from completely shot bushings to brand new ones and not knowing or ever feeling what new bushings felt like? What are the part numbers for the bushings in the supra arms, and SC arms? Perhaps they are identical?
Old 12-19-15, 08:39 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Originally Posted by Biddles
Is that really accurate though? Or is that just people going from completely shot bushings to brand new ones and not knowing or ever feeling what new bushings felt like? What are the part numbers for the bushings in the supra arms, and SC arms? Perhaps they are identical?
It is accurate. It's pretty common knowledge around here that the Supra LCA are much stiffer than the SC arms. The bushings for the SC have 2 oval holes in them for flexibility/comfort and the Supra bushings are solid all the way around. I wont add the part numbers as they are easily searchable but are definitely not the same numbers.

Edit: Not that it matters but to add to it, I've been chasing a clunking sound in my front end and ended up replacing the control arms. I went from newish SC LCA to brand new Supra LCA, they are stiffer, its much more obvious over bumps. Unfortunately it didn't fix my clunking :/

Last edited by Kris9884; 12-19-15 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-19-15, 09:24 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris9884
It is accurate. It's pretty common knowledge around here that the Supra LCA are much stiffer than the SC arms. The bushings for the SC have 2 oval holes in them for flexibility/comfort and the Supra bushings are solid all the way around. I wont add the part numbers as they are easily searchable but are definitely not the same numbers.

Edit: Not that it matters but to add to it, I've been chasing a clunking sound in my front end and ended up replacing the control arms. I went from newish SC LCA to brand new Supra LCA, they are stiffer, its much more obvious over bumps. Unfortunately it didn't fix my clunking :/
Exactly what I needed to know, thank you. I'm really not into the stiff suspension, here in NY there are a ton of potholes and you can't avoid them all. I'd hate to buy bushings and find out my ball joints are going out too though... I wonder if the Supra's will soften up a bit after a while.

I don't understand why they charge $700 per arm, and there are no aftermarket's from Raybesto or Monroe etc...
Old 12-19-15, 04:09 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Originally Posted by Biddles
Exactly what I needed to know, thank you. I'm really not into the stiff suspension, here in NY there are a ton of potholes and you can't avoid them all. I'd hate to buy bushings and find out my ball joints are going out too though... I wonder if the Supra's will soften up a bit after a while.

I don't understand why they charge $700 per arm, and there are no aftermarket's from Raybesto or Monroe etc...
I'll sell ya my stock SC control arms for much less. As I said, I only upgraded to the Supra LCA for a stiffer control and to fix a clunking but it wasn't the problem lol
Old 12-20-15, 03:58 AM
lateralnw
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweatshop
Replace both arms...BOTH ARMS.

Save up if you have to and do it right. The steering on the car should feel like new afterwards.
Totally agree with you but In oz the arms cost heaps and in my case it will take a looong time to save up.

Fortunately I managed to find in good condition a second hand one at a local wreckers for $100 au approx $72USD which is cheaper than getting replacement Nolathane bushes $110AU. They also couldn't supply until after xmas which is no good.

Here's a shot of the stuffed bush. No wonder the wheel alignment place had trouble getting my alignment right. (They might have got it right but as soon as I drove it a couple of days I could tell it went out)

I will post some footage of how much this arm moved for anyone interested soon.

Stuffed Lower control arm LHS (.AU) Nolathane bush!