Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Wheel rubbing against suspension arm

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-15, 09:49 AM
chungmeow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Wheel rubbing against suspension/tension arm

I purchased my gs400 from an owner who had previously been involved in an accident. I never noticed anything wrong until I saw the inside of my front left tire was getting ripped up!

The following picture displays the tire touching the lower control arm/tension arm:

I also noticed my sway bar link was bent:

I couldn't figure out what I needed to do to prevent this from happening. It looks like the tire is getting ripped up by the castle nut clip connecting the arm and upper control arm...

Any suggestions which parts need to be replaced?

Last edited by chungmeow; 09-25-15 at 08:18 AM.
Old 09-29-15, 01:40 PM
chungmeow
Driver School Candidate

Well I purchased a pair of lower ball joints, outer tie rods and the driver side sway bar link. Planning on installing them this weekend in hopes of fixing my inner aches and pains.
Old 09-30-15, 12:01 PM
baconcake
Rookie

Originally Posted by chungmeow
Well I purchased a pair of lower ball joints, outer tie rods and the driver side sway bar link. Planning on installing them this weekend in hopes of fixing my inner aches and pains.
You should just replace all the suspension up front. Your caster bushing looks shot, go with FIGS to never have to worry about that again. Get new inner tie rods too.
Old 10-01-15, 06:25 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you on stock rims too? i dont recall anything running when my car was stock
Old 10-01-15, 03:23 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Ladies and gentlemen, this is why you don't buy cars that have been in accidents.

And for the comment above, there is no way you can draw any conclusions about the condition of the caster arm bushings from the pic above alone.
Old 10-05-15, 11:02 AM
chungmeow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by baconcake
You should just replace all the suspension up front. Your caster bushing looks shot, go with FIGS to never have to worry about that again. Get new inner tie rods too.
Thanks baconcake! I just purchased inner tie rods and bushings. The photo of the lower control arm bushing was in an elevated state but you're right.. they are def dunzo (shot). I've already replaced the lower ball joint and outer tie rod for the affected side and the rubbing issues are all gone! But I still hear clicking so i'm going to go ahead and replace all tie rods and get an alignment afterwards.

Originally Posted by marshun
you on stock rims too? i dont recall anything running when my car was stock
lol... whats running? Im planning on picking up either 18" RX rims with LTuned springs or going 19" with Stance super sport Coilovers.

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
Ladies and gentlemen, this is why you don't buy cars that have been in accidents.

And for the comment above, there is no way you can draw any conclusions about the condition of the caster arm bushings from the pic above alone.
it was a minor accident!
Old 10-17-15, 10:35 PM
chungmeow
Driver School Candidate

Still touching. I'm going to replace caster arm bushings.
Old 10-18-15, 03:08 AM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

Sounds more like the caster arm is bent or the subframe
Old 10-24-15, 10:32 PM
kowala
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

correct me if i'm wrong but isn't this where the offset of the wheels comes into play? I believe having a higher offset wheel than recommended can cause the wheel interfere with some of the suspension movement? Are you on stock wheels in these photos?
Old 10-26-15, 07:07 AM
chungmeow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kowala
correct me if i'm wrong but isn't this where the offset of the wheels comes into play? I believe having a higher offset wheel than recommended can cause the wheel interfere with some of the suspension movement? Are you on stock wheels in these photos?
I don't know the effects to a car on offset tires... cause i'm runnin stock 16's homie. research and offset 19's next year..

I've installed daizen bushings over the weekend and i can finally turn the wheel end-to-end without hearing or feeling the wheel rub up against the suspension. FINALLY.

When you read posts about how bushings are essential to maintaining the remaining parts of your suspension, they weren't joking. plus it saves you a lot of money and energy. and it makes you feel like you can ride your girl all DAY... without having to bottom out when driving over speed bumps.
Old 10-26-15, 07:10 AM
chungmeow
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexo98
Sounds more like the caster arm is bent or the subframe
I checked both caster arms side-by-side and they were identical mirror reflections of themselves. I didn't see any subframe issues but new bushings helped solve my problem! unless you think replacing the bushings may have simply covered the underlying issue (which im hoping is not the case)
Old 10-27-15, 08:35 AM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

Now you have to get it up on the alignment rack and see if everything falls within specs.