Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lower Control Arm Time

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-15, 04:13 PM
Tremander
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower Control Arm Time

So I'm still tying up all the loose ends on my recent sc300 purchase. I got the car mostly sound now but there's a front end issue. I'm getting some "warped rotor" type feels when i start to slow down, and i hear a thud whenever i release the brake pedal while going in reverse. My all-in bet is on the lower control arms. So my next question is where do I get Supra or Sc LCA's? I can't seem to find them online.

I did replace pads and rotors. Boots on the ball joints (upper and lower) have small tears so I dont want to just replace the bushings.
Old 07-12-15, 05:04 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tremander
So I'm still tying up all the loose ends on my recent sc300 purchase. I got the car mostly sound now but there's a front end issue. I'm getting some "warped rotor" type feels when i start to slow down, and i hear a thud whenever i release the brake pedal while going in reverse. My all-in bet is on the lower control arms. So my next question is where do I get Supra or Sc LCA's? I can't seem to find them online.

I did replace pads and rotors. Boots on the ball joints (upper and lower) have small tears so I dont want to just replace the bushings.

Dude,

Did you do the rock-the-wheel-in-the-air test to see if there's play in upper or lower ball joints? Your problem could also be the engine mounts, swaybar links, power steering tie-rod, upper control arm, anything with a bushing or ball joint. Supra front lower control arms can be purchased at Lithia Toyota Parts for around $285 each before shipping.

http://www.lithiatoyotaparts.com/par...?siteid=215542

1993 - 1996 Supra front LCAs

RF - 48068-14080
LF - 48069-14080

Have fun,

Chester

Last edited by freakness; 07-12-15 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-12-15, 05:54 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had an issue just like what you're describing, sounds like pads are tight on a rotor as if a caliper's seizing, but when you come to a full stop it would make a thud sound. Front right wheel bearing on my SC400 was shot. I took the car to get an oil change and asked them to take a look at it, they confirmed it was indeed a bad bearing. Ordered the Koyo bearing, $45 on ebay. $250 for labor. Ask a mechanic to take a look at it to confirm.
Old 07-12-15, 10:20 PM
Tremander
Driver School Candidate

Ill have the front end in the air and ready for shaking tomorrow, this is my first double wishbone car so do i just grab each individual arm? Doubt its a motor mount. Circumstance are very particular for that. Only in reverse and left turns, and it definitely feels like its coming from the left corner of the car. Totally forgot about end links. Drove a mustang for a few years. This suspension is crazy to me.

Calipers were find when i put the new brakes on. Old stuff wore evenly and the pistons went back in easy enough. Car doesnt pull when i press the brakes, it just makes a thud if i release the brakes going in reverse and when i hit bumps going left. Wheels did spin freely though but ill have a look for that bearing too.

Last edited by Tremander; 07-12-15 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-13-15, 09:43 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Welcome to CL, this is the second suspension thread of yours I have moved to the suspension forum from the main forum. please do not go for a third and at least try and post in the proper sub-forum from now on thanks.