Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need Help!!! [brake pad and rotor advice]

Old 05-16-15, 02:57 PM
flameazn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help!!! [brake pad and rotor advice]

Try to get new brake pads and new rotor (all four) for my 06 is350. And now I have two choices for the pads(oem or stoptech street performance),and the rotors(oem or centric). Mainly i use it for daily drive, but sometime I will pull pretty hard, so I want something really sensitive. I don't care about the dust. So which combo will work better? Or have any suggestion for me. Thanks
Old 05-17-15, 12:19 AM
LucianoLee
Driver

If you don't care about the brake dust, I would say stick with OEM since OEM pads seem to bite better.
For the rotors, either OEM or Centric should be fine, get ones that are cheaper.
Old 05-17-15, 08:05 AM
Gville350

Received 428 Likes on 383 Posts

I do agree that the high-friction "high dust" OEM pads were slightly more aggressive that the StopTech Streets I was running. But if you're like me and like a clean car, but dislike mid-week wheel cleaning, try Akebono ceramic pads that still give you a good street that takes a beating like a champ, but gives off little dust. I have PowerSlot slotted rotors. Slotted rotors due have some advantages, but mainly for track/heavy duty usage...rarely seen on the street. Centric blanks would probably a good choice in your case.
Old 05-17-15, 11:35 PM
flameazn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
I do agree that the high-friction "high dust" OEM pads were slightly more aggressive that the StopTech Streets I was running. But if you're like me and like a clean car, but dislike mid-week wheel cleaning, try Akebono ceramic pads that still give you a good street that takes a beating like a champ, but gives off little dust. I have PowerSlot slotted rotors. Slotted rotors due have some advantages, but mainly for track/heavy duty usage...rarely seen on the street. Centric blanks would probably a good choice in your case.
How about the low dust oem pads having a huge different between the high-friction and the Stop Tech pads. Because I have painted my rims all black, so I don't really mind about the dust. I do mind is the feeling that step on my brake. I want something really sensitive. And also I checked on rockauto, I saw few rotor is from Centric, I have no idea which one I should get.

Last edited by flameazn; 05-17-15 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-18-15, 02:43 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think street tech performance rotor. It is might be lighter then stock and last longer.
Old 05-18-15, 05:07 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OEM pads with OEM rotors if you don't care about brake dust.

I would like to suggest:
Akebono brake pads + Street tech rotors combo. It works fantastic.
Old 05-18-15, 11:59 PM
flameazn
Driver School Candidate

How about the OEM low dust pads? because one of my friend having a extra set of that can sell it to me, but he only have the front. So I would like to know is the oem low dust pads is good enough,and compare to akebono pads, which one is more sensitives on braking?
Old 05-19-15, 12:16 AM
Den350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the R1 concept slotted cross drilled.....with Stop tech pads...brakes like a champ and they look great...$430 for pads and rotors all around..great price and awesome customer service from those guys..super fast shipping aswell...
Old 05-19-15, 07:52 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd recommend the Akebono as well. I have found they have good bite, seem very low dust, they are quiet, a bit easier to replace since there are no shims required, and they have worked well in -30 degrees and performed well for autocross. I used them this last weekend for a driving school at the track where I ran 6 sessions over 2 days. Maybe 15-20 min per session. I never bedded them in before the track session which was a mistake, I think, because in the last 2 sessions I got some chattering (which has cleared up now that they are back on the street .... and bedded). I didn't experience any fade with them. During one of the sessions it was raining, and they performed well there also. I scrubbed off about 2.5 to 3 mm on the front pads and around 2mm on the back pads at the driving school. They started at 17.5mm front and 14.4 mm rear. So I'd say they are capable for light track duty. I'm a rookie, so I'm not going to be as hard on them as more experienced drivers. By contrast, I read one driver saying a set of yellowstuff would only last him 3 track sessions.

But a pad that holds up that well in that range of use gets my endorsement.

Also, FYI I'm on stock rotors.

Oh, and they were one of the less expensive options for replacing all pads.

Last edited by scott1256c; 05-19-15 at 07:54 AM. Reason: addition
Old 05-19-15, 08:15 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Scott, great feedback from the track. I have not tested them yet on autocross or track yet but from what you share, I'm very positive it will do good. I'm surprised it does not fade on track after many sessions considering this pad is not a dedicated track pad. What I like the most is that it has a linear smooth braking feel so I can easily modulate how much braking I want and also just tap a little bit if I want just tiny brake. It is hard to do that with the OEM pad.

Yes, Akebono ceramic brake pads really rock! They are the 1st company that invented ceramic pads and also their pads key features are as follow:
Ultra-Quiet - Akebono has developed an extensive variety of unique Pro-ACT Ceramic formulations to reduce and/or virtually eliminate brake squealing, groaning and vibration.
Enhanced Durability - For the vast majority of motorists, Pro-ACT Ultra-Premium brake pads provide significantly improved pad wear performance in normal driving conditions compared to traditional brake pads. This means longer times between brake jobs.
Low Dusting - The carefully selected materials found in Pro-ACT Ultra-Premium brake pads are more compatible with today's popular aluminum, open-wheel designs. They help minimize and/or virtually eliminate dusting.
Smooth LINEAR Braking - Pro-ACT Ultra-Premium brake pads provide more consistent, smooth stopping power over a wide range of driving conditions, including panic stops.

You can find them on Amazon or Tirerack.
Amazon.com: Akebono ACT1113 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set: Automotive Amazon.com: Akebono ACT1113 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set: Automotive

Last edited by FSportIS; 05-19-15 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-19-15, 10:23 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

I got my OEM pads all 4 swapped out few months ago. But now there is an annoying brake squeal during cold starts.

I might need to change my rotors out now.
Old 05-20-15, 03:07 PM
flameazn
Driver School Candidate

By the way, which rotors will work better? Centric or OEM? Or they are both the same? Because i saw some review online, its show OEM is work little bit better than the Centric and will least longer, and i would like to know is it worth to get the OEM beside Centric. I don't want to get the one with slotted, i want to keep it blank.

Last edited by flameazn; 05-20-15 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-20-15, 03:14 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

For blank rotors, OEM is the choice.
Old 05-27-15, 06:36 PM
Slammer1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put Centric pads and rotors (front and rear) on shortly after we bought the car in July of 2010 and they are still on the car today............ Car brakes marvelously. Ordered from Rock Auto for approximately $350 shipped. Hard to beat the price, performance or value.
Old 06-01-15, 09:49 PM
sthakor92
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm leaning toward the Akebono pads.. Amazon has them for $38 right now. I have a question as they are pre shimmed, would i not apply anti-squel on them now?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need Help!!! [brake pad and rotor advice]