Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

BC coil noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-15, 08:56 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BC coil noise

Im getting this pinging, squeaking, squishing type of noise from my rear passenger side. Only hear it when pulling in and out of parking spots or when coming to a crawl at a stop light. I do not hear anything at higher speeds. It comes and goes but ive been hearing it on and off for over a year now. Im having my mechanic take a deeper looks as he noticed some rust in the area when putting my summer wheels on. I did notice this however and took a pic. I see the gold ring has walked its way up about a half inch from the bottom base. Should I be concerned about that? Ive honestly never adjusted my coils. The ride height looked pretty even all the way around out of the box so I never adjusted them.

Old 04-05-15, 09:21 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Just watched some youtube videos. I take it that lower ring is the locking ring and needs to be tighten down to the base?
Old 04-05-15, 09:25 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Yeah the lower locking ring need to tighten it shouldn't move.
Old 04-05-15, 11:44 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by laobo979
Yeah the lower locking ring need to tighten it shouldn't move.
Ok i hope thats the problem. I dont know how long its been like that. My mechanic said he saw rust in the area but didnt think much of it. Then afterwords he heard the noise. He said the spring could be broken but wants to take a closer look next week. But i think if the spring was broken my car would be hanging lower on that side and Id hear more noise while driving dont you think?
Old 04-05-15, 01:51 PM
Sceanzo
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not. It needs a new cartridge. I have had two whole sets of BCs all wear out and start making all types of noise. I know the exact type of noise you're talking about.
Old 04-05-15, 04:09 PM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sceanzo
It's not. It needs a new cartridge. I have had two whole sets of BCs all wear out and start making all types of noise. I know the exact type of noise you're talking about.
OK well let me tighten this next weekend and see how it sounds. If I need to order parts do I call BC racing or Circuit motorsports where I bought them from? I only have about 3 years and 35,000 miles on this coils.
Old 04-06-15, 02:22 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Before purchasing anything, try resetting the pre-load on the springs...especially since you just installed the coilovers straight into the car without any adjustments.

Do what this video recommends :

Old 04-06-15, 09:11 PM
massaker
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact same thing going on passenger rear also. Only makes the noise at slow speeds or in reverse. So odd. I have triple checked everything is tight. Im starting to wonder it if is a bad cartridge. Weird thing is the Fsport springs on the passenger rear make noises also. Seems like thats the side that likes to make all the noises for some strange reason.
Old 04-08-15, 11:01 AM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Im just taking an educated guess, but because you just went with the out-of-the-box setup, preload seems to be an issue.... theta youtube video is good ^ and you can definitely find step-by-step instructions on setting preload.
Old 04-11-15, 08:59 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Just adjusted the lower ring back down to the base. I did notice a heavy rust build up on the bottom 2 coils of the spring. Ill have to have my mechanic get a closer look when its on the lift. I drove it around a little and didnt notice any noises. But as I said before the noise has always come and gone. Ill post an update later in the week.
Old 04-17-15, 07:37 AM
flektone
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nixcision
Im just taking an educated guess, but because you just went with the out-of-the-box setup, preload seems to be an issue.... theta youtube video is good ^ and you can definitely find step-by-step instructions on setting preload.
The guy from BC told me the preload is already set out of the box. He said to adjust it if its loose but its not. Im not getting a noise from my other coils. While my spring is rusted it looks intact. No leaking from the cartridge. Since I tighten the lower locking ring to the base the pinging and dinging seems to have gone away. But still getting a squishing and slight rumble sound. Almost sounds like a rubber/plastic bushing is worn. But I dont see any replaceable bushings in the coilover parts breakdown.
Old 04-17-15, 04:21 PM
Sceanzo
Pit Crew

$20 its the cartridge
Old 04-18-15, 02:53 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

would be interesting to know why this happens in that corner for many people
Old 04-18-15, 05:57 PM
Sceanzo
Pit Crew

It's the corner of the car with the least amount of weight on it when driver is in the car?
Old 04-18-15, 07:46 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

This^....

speaking of balancing, I did notice when I first got my summer wheels and tires balanced, there were less weights on the front driver wheel than the rest.... A car is never in operation without a driver (hopefully) I didn't actually ask my tire guy if it was for that purpose but a buddy of mine came to that conclusion, and none "fell off"...

So its possible that the weight idea makes sense -- but at the same time, wouldn't there be suspension issues with oem suspension on all vehicles? I'm assuming that the way weight is distributed in the cars makes the driver's weight negligible, unless the driver and/or passengers are a bit big. I'm referring to the shifting of the suspension - not the ride height when having heavy items or people in the car.

Quick Reply: BC coil noise