Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How to remove RF axle on an AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-14, 05:13 PM
lexusisru
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove RF axle on an AWD?

Hey guys looking for advice on removing the rf axle on my 08 is250!!!
It seems like the bearing is siezed in the housing pretty good,
ive been whacking it with a 12lb hammer for a while and its not budging.
Any advice from ppl who have done this succesfully would be great!
Old 12-31-14, 09:10 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

So you are attempting to remove the axle shaft from the hub/knuckle right now? Have you removed the LCA from the lower ball joint yet?

Old 01-01-15, 06:06 AM
lexusisru
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gville350
So you are attempting to remove the axle shaft from the hub/knuckle right now? Have you removed the LCA from the lower ball joint yet?

NO i have it pulled form the knuckle already. the spindle is completely off.
I cant remove it from the tranny side where the bearing is pressed over the shaft and inside the housing of the engine side.
Old 01-01-15, 12:42 PM
Gville350

So you cannot remove it from the trans end then. Have you use various pry bars in-between the axle stub housing and the trans case? The half shafts have C-clips in then that hold the axle into place until forced out.
Old 01-01-15, 12:50 PM
Gville350

If it helps, here is a picture of an entire front AWD axle :

Old 01-01-15, 01:19 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

those carrier bearing support brackets are notorious for being seized. (any make or model) if you are looking to replace the axle shaft, you'll need to buy a new bearing support bracket. if you are just removing the axle to do something else, you'll need to pull the bracket down with the axle
Old 01-01-15, 03:01 PM
lexusisru
Driver School Candidate

Default axle

Heres what im up against. I really dont see any way of getting this bearing loosened up without heat.. But im worried if I heat it too much ill burn up the seal thats behind it and whatever else is inside...
not to mention i dont have the means to heat more than a propane torch.
Old 01-01-15, 03:04 PM
lexusisru
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by the.wong.k
those carrier bearing support brackets are notorious for being seized. (any make or model) if you are looking to replace the axle shaft, you'll need to buy a new bearing support bracket. if you are just removing the axle to do something else, you'll need to pull the bracket down with the axle
There is no carrier bearing bracket on the 2nd gen is250 its built into the engine oil pan...
Old 01-01-15, 03:07 PM
lexusisru
Driver School Candidate

So you cannot remove it from the trans end then. Have you use various pry bars in-between the axle stub housing and the trans case? The half shafts have C-clips in then that hold the axle into place until forced out.
Yes i have removed the c clip from the bearing housing. Ive pounded the axle cup from underneath with a sledge hammer, Also used a sliding hammer attached to the cup and still doesnt budge.
Old 01-01-15, 05:45 PM
Gville350

I had a half shaft get stuck in a Quaife LSD equipped trans I built and I ended up punching it out of the trans housing from the opposite side. No diff pin to get in the way luckily. Would that even be possible in this case?

Not familiar enough with the 2IS AWD model setup; just trying to throw out ideas here.
Old 01-01-15, 05:55 PM
Gville350

So I looked at some more AWD axles, and here is what the axle would look like once removed from that "bearing carrier" portion :

I assume if you're able to get some sort of tool in-between the transfer box casing and the axle cup there, perhaps that's the solution?
Old 01-02-15, 03:38 AM
lexusisru
Driver School Candidate

Default Axle

I had a half shaft get stuck in a Quaife LSD equipped trans I built and I ended up punching it out of the trans housing from the opposite side. No diff pin to get in the way luckily. Would that even be possible in this case?

Not familiar enough with the 2IS AWD model setup; just trying to throw out ideas here.
I'm not sure but some one I've spoken with recommended I try that as well, been leaving that option for last obviously don't want to take apart the other side if I don't have to especially not know for sure if it is even possible.
Old 01-02-15, 03:42 AM
lexusisru
Driver School Candidate

Default Axle

So I looked at some more AWD axles, and here is what the axle would look like once removed from that "bearing carrier" portion :

I assume if you're able to get some sort of tool in-between the transfer box casing and the axle cup there, perhaps that's the solution?
That's actually a picture of the drivers side I'm guessing... The first picture you posted was in fact the passenger side. It is about a ft longer past the bearing which extends into the transaxle. And yes as I mentioned before I can get to it from underneath with a sledge hammer, can't get to it with a pry bar though.
Old 09-27-16, 06:18 PM
firebirdvr
Driver School Candidate

Did anyone ever figure out how to remove the axle? I have the same problem. The bearing is seized in the engine housing. Any follow-ups would be appreciated.
Old 10-07-16, 09:34 AM
RussZTT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the bearing make any noise? Im having a sound coming from the right front area and not sure what it could be.

Quick Reply: How to remove RF axle on an AWD?