Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

bleeding brakes on sc400 1993

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-21, 12:57 AM
miriya1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bleeding brakes on sc400 1993

hi all i recently attempted to bleed my brakes on my 1993 sc400 with no traction control but it does have an abs module without a bleeder screw on the abs module. I was wondering if i have to bleed the abs module or if i can just bleed the brakes normally and all the air would leave the abs. thanks.

Last edited by miriya1; 06-29-21 at 12:58 AM. Reason: tags
Old 06-29-21, 01:01 AM
miriya1
Driver School Candidate

the brakes still feel super mushy by the way i recently replaced the master cylinder and brake booster and i may not have bench bled the cylinder very well. However when i bleed the brake lines air bubbles come out in the first few pumps of the brake pedal but after that nothing. ive heard you are supposed to bleed each caliper 10-15 minutes but it takes me and my friend two minutes and we dont see anymore bubbles in the brake fluid. am i missing something, is there still air trapped in the brake lines?
Old 06-29-21, 08:42 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

I've never had to bleed the ABS unit before but I've heard of people who have. It may not hurt to hit each corner with a vacuum bleeder for 5-10 minutes to completely clear the system of any air. If anyone knows better please post up!
The following users liked this post:
miriya1 (06-29-21)
Old 06-30-21, 06:27 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Just bleed it normally & don't worry about the ABS unit. (Right rear, Left rear, Right front, Left front)
The following 2 users liked this post by Supra Dr:
macdavid (07-02-21), miriya1 (07-01-21)
Old 07-01-21, 05:18 PM
miriya1
Driver School Candidate

Default cardone

i also had to install a new master cylinder sdo you know if the cardone master cylinder bleeder would work to bleed the master cylinder?
Old 07-02-21, 04:00 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by miriya1
i also had to install a new master cylinder sdo you know if the cardone master cylinder bleeder would work to bleed the master cylinder?
I know it means starting all over, but typically you have to bench bleed the mc or you will not work the air out of it.

Also, there is a procedure in the Toyota manual on how to bleed the abs unit. I have never had to do it, but I have always been careful not to let a lot of air get in a system. Even when replacing master cylinders, I have never had to bleed the abs unit. If it comes down to nothing else to try after bench bleeding the mc, somebody on here should have access to the abs bleed procedure.
miriya1 (07-02-21)
Old 07-02-21, 08:14 PM
miriya1
Driver School Candidate

mine is a 93 and does not have traction control or a bleeder screw for ABS so how would i go about bleeding the ABS? the cardone brake bleeder master cylinder is basically just a syringe with suction that you put on the holes of the master cylinder that attach to the brake lines im not sure how effective it would be
Old 07-05-21, 06:59 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

mine is a 93 and does not have traction control or a bleeder screw for ABS so how would i go about bleeding the ABS? the cardone brake bleeder master cylinder is basically just a syringe with suction that you put on the holes of the master cylinder that attach to the brake lines im not sure how effective it would be
Non-traction control abs units do have a way to bleed the unit. I have seen the procedure in the manual, just have never used it. But I am going to bet that is not your issue. Have you bench bled the master cylinder yet?
miriya1 (07-06-21)
Old 07-06-21, 03:36 AM
miriya1
Driver School Candidate

no the tool i ordered is coming on july 7th. However the brakes seem to be getting better on their own somehow is this normal? should i still try to bleed the master cylinder?
Old 07-06-21, 05:37 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 326 Likes on 252 Posts

Another thought is to jack up the car on all four corners, remove wheels and gravity bleed the system by loosening the bleed screw on all four calipers. I have seen this work a couple of times on very stubborn brake jobs. Be ready with the brake fluid, you don't want to let more air in.
Old 07-06-21, 08:20 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

no the tool i ordered is coming on july 7th. However the brakes seem to be getting better on their own somehow is this normal? should i still try to bleed the master cylinder?
There is no tool needed to bench bleed a master cylinder. Its pretty simple, if you just make sure you have it tilted to let the air work its way toward the end with the connections and just cycle it many times with fluid in the reservoir. Hold some pressure with you fingers on the outlets.

Get a vacuum bleeder, they are cheap from Harbor Freight. Get someone to help you and vacuum bleed at the calipers at the same time you have someone pumping and holding the brakes in a normal bleeding procedure. I bet you will work the air out. It's my opinion not to try what Bill suggests, I think that could cause issues with the abs unit, but maybe he knows it will work. But, I wouldn't take the chance plus I think you can work the air out by normal means.
miriya1 (07-07-21)
Old 07-07-21, 02:35 AM
miriya1
Driver School Candidate

yes i have a vacuum bleeder how long do you suggest i bleed the calipers for? i know you dont need a tool to bleed the master cylinder but i got one to make it easier i am new to this.
Old 07-07-21, 04:35 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 326 Likes on 252 Posts

Hey Roger, you may be right that has been a number of years ago and I am not sure the cars had ABS. But I know it worked on these two cars because it was not told to me I saw it.