Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Pressing Brakes creates this weird noise..

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-14, 10:38 PM
SK430
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pressing Brakes creates this weird noise..

I've looked all over the forum before posting about this but finally having an issue that is beyond my very limited mechanical knowledge to figure out. I have a '03 GS430 that I purchased this summer and have been taking care of it as well as I can and learning along the way.

I don't know when this issue began, but basically when I press down on the brakes, whether driving slow fast, even parked, after a random amount of taps on the brake - I will hear this whirring noise that lasts between 1-1.5 seconds and then ends with a click, sometimes that you can almost feel the click. It sounds to be coming from the front drivers side of the car, in front of the drivers wheel (where the brake fluid box is located under the hood). The brakes are in good shape and don't grind, squeal or give me any other bad feedback during use.

Today I visited a auto repair shop for a inspection of the car to see if everything is okay and oil change. Good news was that the car is in good shape (and the issues deserve a new post) but they didn't see anything wrong with the brakes or even notice that noise. I can try to post a video of it but wondering if anyone here has experienced this? Maybe I should take it to a diff shop? It could be normal but it is driving me crazy every time I hear it.
Old 11-23-14, 01:38 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

post video
Old 11-23-14, 09:26 PM
davisk
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-and-brakes/622165-diy-remove-stock-abs-vsc-master-cylinder-install-power-brake-booster-and-master.html

Had similar issue on my 98 gs300 then the whole booster went out you may or may not have the same problem I didnt want to spend 1000$+ on a new one and I personally don't like abs anyhow so I went this route and am very pleased but it may not be everyone's cup of tea hope this helps
Old 11-23-14, 10:19 PM
SK430
Rookie

@rgarjr I will take video of the issue and see if it helps us diagnose - it is very faint so hope my recording picks up the sound.

@davisk Thanks a lot for sharing this - it's kinda worrying me because the mechanic during his test drive with me actually suspected it may have been the ABS failing or having a problem but he didn't think much of it. Would you say it's worth me paying them to inspect and see if this is the issue? Mind that this isn't a Lexus service shop (although I am told to stay away from them anyway).
Old 11-24-14, 10:00 PM
davisk
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Could be something to look into a lot of times if I'm not mistaken the accumulator seals get weak and I believe that whirling noise you mentioned is the accumulator trying to pressurize the system I could be wrong but as far as advice on how to diagnose and confirm the issue is just that I wouldn't be able to tell you only way I realized it failed is because my brake pedal went soft and didnt even bother to investigate it just went and replaced the whole unit i believe ive read somwhere on our forum that it may be possible to re do the seals without replacing the whole unit hopefully someone more educated on this will chime in good luck to you