Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

weird braking problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-14, 02:04 PM
sc4shelby
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation weird braking problem

Ok so i have this weird vibration when braking. It doesnt shake the steering wheel like warped rotors do, but i went ahead and changed them and the pads to cover that, its still there, its felt in the brake pedal, and you can hear the vibration coming from the front passenger wheel. my wheel ate through the abs harness on that side, and the vibration was gone, but i didn't have abs, and my abs light went on. i re soldered the wires and lengthened them and made it so its not near the tire anymore. abs was working again, but the vibration was back, but not as often. while driving, i lost abs again, and the light came on and all the wires were good, i changed the computer with a working spare i had, still nothing other than my trac light went away(lol finally was going to pull the bulb lol) Is it possible that i have a bad abs sensor or bad abs pump? i did a search and couldn't find anything with these symptoms.
Old 09-17-14, 06:36 PM
sc4shelby
Driver School Candidate

So i got my hands on a nice Snap-On Solus pro scanner and was able to retrieve codes on abs. my abs is displaying codes 31 36 and 61. does anybody have any info on these codes?
Old 09-17-14, 06:58 PM
dogwisper
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your lucky day: code 31 is right front wheel sensor malfunction, code 36 is open circuit in right front or left rear speed sensor circuit, and code 61 is TRAC ECU communication abnormal. It sounds like you are on the right track with the bad ABS sensor. I hope this helps.
Old 09-18-14, 12:59 AM
sc4shelby
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dogwisper
Your lucky day: code 31 is right front wheel sensor malfunction, code 36 is open circuit in right front or left rear speed sensor circuit, and code 61 is TRAC ECU communication abnormal. It sounds like you are on the right track with the bad ABS sensor. I hope this helps.
THANK YOU! The wires that got chewed up went to my right front abs sensor, i repaired the wire but the light is still there. do you know if there is a way to reset it? and what could cause the code 61?
Old 09-18-14, 03:48 AM
dogwisper
Driver

I think the code 61 makes sense with the broken wire "TRAC ecu communication abnormal" and the communication would be abnormal if there is NO communications going to the TRAC ecu like when the communication wire is broken. Resetting should be the same as the other OBD just disconnect the battery for 30 seconds and reconnect then re-check for any codes. Sounds like you fixed the problem already though. Let us know what you find.
Old 09-19-14, 10:27 PM
sc4shelby
Driver School Candidate

Question

disconnected the battery and the light was still there even without driving the car. there has to be some other way to reset that?
Old 09-20-14, 06:05 AM
dogwisper
Driver

I guess the ABS codes are erased a little differently. Jumper terminals Tc and E1, turn ignition switch ON, clear the codes in the diagnostic codes stored in ECU by depressing the brake pedal 8 or more times within 3 seconds. Check that the warning light shows the normal code. Remove jumper. Who's your buddy?
Old 09-20-14, 01:28 PM
sc4shelby
Driver School Candidate

I'll try that when i get back to my house. and whose buddy?
Old 09-22-14, 10:38 AM
sc4shelby
Driver School Candidate

its not seeming to clear. do they need to be full depresses of the brake pedal?or little taps?