Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Front brake squeal

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-14, 09:27 AM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Front brake squeal

Looking for a little help here. I've already replaced the front pads with OEM from Sewell and had the rotors turned. My original pads were still good but I replaced them prior to them getting low. I have a squeal coming from the front end SOMETIMES. Usually its during a slow speed stop vs. harder braking.

I was told to look at my calipers but I'm not exactly sure what it is i'm supposed to be looking for. It doesn't happen at every stop that I make. Maybe 1 out of every 10. For two days after turning the rotors I didn't have any squeal at all. Then it came back little by little.

It's just annoying more than anything. New pads freshly turned rotors... I used the original hardware. The squeal sounds like worn pads on bad rotors lol but thats not the case.
~~~~~~~~
UPDATE: i'll try this

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...eeeaaaaal.html

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 09-10-14 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-10-14, 11:21 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, that thread mentions shims and anti-squeal. Did you do the brakes yourself and just have someone else turn them? Or was the all the work done by the shop? I guess what I'm asking is are you sure the shims are there? On the fronts there are a pair of shims for each pad.
Old 09-10-14, 04:01 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

You know Scott... I wasn't in the shop when they put the brakes back on but i'm almost certain they kept all the hardware on. I've been working with them for years and they always give me all my old used parts even if they are broken. I'll double check. They gave me my old pads and nothing else was in the box.
Old 09-19-14, 10:49 PM
dtl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the squeal was happening before you replaced all these components? Besides the shims, I would also check to see if there is any kind of grease/lubricant on the contact point between the shim and the caliper. Simple things like that can make a lot of difference.

Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't NEW brake pads have a squeal initially and it eventually goes away?
Old 10-10-14, 10:01 PM
Antredd
Driver School Candidate

Default Speaking of Squeaking Brakes

How about a clicking/clanking sound after I paid my local dealer $983 for a complete new front and rear brake job that also included a brake fluid exchange on my 2009 IS 250?

I was peed to say the least but one would think that by going to the stealership, you would get great brake service. What happened was that the technician over torqued the screw on my front brakes, and while I was driving away from the dealership the screw popped right off. Then I heard this clicking/clanking sound on the left side of my front brakes. My stealership offered a free detail and free dinner card at an area restaurant to make up for their screw up and the inconvenience of me having to return my vehicle.

Because the stealership was closed when I heard the clicking sound on my front brakes, I had to wait until the next day to return my vehicle. After an inspection, they realized their mess up and made the needed repairs.

Last edited by Antredd; 10-10-14 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-10-14, 10:06 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

I got my shim kit in today. The ones that were in did have grease. The original pads and new pads squealed only at some stops. Shim kit and not a single squeal.

also noticed a faint clicking/rattle at slow speeds 2 mpg to 5 mpg on uneven roads prior... that is also gone. Shim kit has 4 rubber backed plates and 4 all metal. 2 per each side of the rotors.

Dtl yes sometimes but not always there can be a squeal with brand new pads due to inconsistencies in the initial surface of the pads.

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 10-10-14 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-10-14, 10:08 PM
Antredd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
I got my shim kit in today. The ones that were in did have grease. The original pads and new pads squealed only at some stops. Shim kit and not a single squeal.

I also noticed a faint clicking/rattle at slow speeds 2 mpg to 5 mpg on uneven roads prior... that is also gone. Shim kit has 4 rubber backed plates and 4 all metal. 2 per each side of the rotors.
Man, I wish I had the courage to do my brakes myself. But because I do a lot of freeway driving, I just don't want to chance me messing up something. So, I go to the stealership and pay them to do it.
Old 10-10-14, 10:13 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Antredd
Man, I wish I had the courage to do my brakes myself. But because I do a lot of freeway driving, I just don't want to chance me messing up something. So, I go to the stealership and pay them to do it.
Did you get new rotors for the price you paid? Oem front pads were around $60 or so on sewell. Most shops can toss them on for $40-60 if you don't have the tools to do it. Double the cost for front and rear... but maybe u got rotors too?

And although I can do them myself I didnt. I don't have the tools or time to knock it out.