Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Aftermarket Drilled Slotted Rotors and Noise Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-08, 12:36 PM
Santos.L.H
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Drilled Slotted Rotors and Noise Issues

So I have searched this topic over and over again and keep finding different opinions from different people. I'm looking into getting some drilled/slotted rotors because I think they look nice, but I don't want to be riding around with noisy brakes.

When properly installed, do all aftermarket drilled and/or slotted rotors cause unwanted noise? Are there some setups that do not make noise?

People who have drilled and/or slotted rotors setup without any noise, what kind of setup (rotors,pads) are you using?

I'm looking to replace my warped oem rotors asap; any advice is appreciated.
Old 08-07-08, 12:46 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

What kind of noise are you hearing? They do make a 'swooshing' sound as you brake.
Old 08-07-08, 02:49 PM
Santos.L.H
Driver School Candidate

I haven't actually got any yet, I just read a lot on this forum about how aftermarket rotors often make loud noises. I'm trying to avoid any loud/annoying noises, but still kind of what the look of drilled/slotted rotors.

Any suggestions of which rotors/brake pads that do not have noise issues.
Old 08-08-08, 02:25 PM
Santos.L.H
Driver School Candidate

Default anyone with quiet rotors

Anyone on here ever have aftermarket drilled and/or slotted rotors that didn't make noise? Im trying to pick up a set, but don't know which to get. Any recommendations?
Old 08-09-08, 07:31 AM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cross-drilled and slotted rotors aren't designed to reduce noise or have little noise. They're designed to help you stop in shorter distances with little to no regards to noise.

And if anything, the pads are the ones that would cause the noise. Try ProACT's or Hawk's
Old 08-10-08, 03:05 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

i've always had a clicking noise since i had my rotors and pads changed. always went braking, and possibly when driving, i forget. but you don't hear it yourself, but if you brake next to a long wall or ride in the neighboring car, its very apparent. i've read something about a anti-squeal shim that might have been install improperly
Old 08-10-08, 09:29 AM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got the same thing happening to me but at least the brakes work!
Old 08-10-08, 11:00 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep....noise on my drilled ones....but only at low speeds.

The best thing to do is to roll up all windows....noise problem solved!!!
Old 08-11-08, 08:04 AM
Santos.L.H
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the input guys. So i guess there is no such thing as quiet drilled rotors for our cars. Anyone else have better luck?
Old 08-11-08, 09:01 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm upgrading my rotors this month and the garage that's doing the work suggested that I use slotted, not drilled and slotted, to alievate the majority of brake noise. you might want to look at that option. I'm going with the Rotora's but Prject Mu also has an affordable option, somewhere in the range of $125-$175 per wheel.
Old 08-11-08, 12:52 PM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

I got the drilled and slotted rotors from BSI after months of dispute but yeah... they are not quiet... possibly because i used Ceramic pads and not the semi-metallic ones they sent (i was supposed to get HAWK but they never sent me the correct pads so i just used OEM replacements from Wagner)
Old 08-13-08, 09:35 AM
ZeroState
Driver School Candidate

Cross-drilled and slotted rotors tend to make some noise when braking. A small, popping noise is normal, as this is the sound of the pad going over the slots/holes (possibly making the noise since it is essentially de-gassing the rotor surface). A squealing sound is not normal unless you have full race brakes. Full race brake pads are designed to do one thing only: stop the car. Noise consideration and such all takes a back seat to sheer stopping force. I had drilled/slotted rotors with EBC green stuff on my last car (Neon), and my brothers car (PT Cruiser) has the same rotors but with stock pads. Still makes that popping noise. If all you are after are looks and not performance, it doesn't matter what you get IMO, rotors are mostly cast iron. If you really want to shorten stopping distances, get stainless lines, and good, grippy tires. Then upgrade your brakes. Lines for feel and to help prevent fluid overheat expansion, and tires for maximum contact patch. Remember: how short a car can stop is limited by the amount of available grip.
Old 08-20-08, 06:47 PM
timgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drilled Rotor Noise

I once installed drilled rotors on my wife's 2001 ES300. You could hear a constant noise from the one side even after switching sides. My wife likened it to the old days when kids would put a playing card in the spokes of their bicycle wheel to make that cool flicking noise! Put the solids back on and you get peace and quiet. If you're driving crazy, it would be good to take advantage of the performance of drilled/slotted. If you're just an everyday driver, it's probably best to stick with a solid rotor, but maybe get one that's e-coated in a color for the aesthetic value.
Old 08-30-08, 01:57 AM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by timgs300
My wife likened it to the old days when kids would put a playing card in the spokes of their bicycle wheel to make that cool flicking noise! Put the solids back on and you get peace and quiet..
i have the same noise..... i haven't gotten a chance to look at it yet though... i probably should although i don't notice it with my windows up or music on which is 90% of the time...
Old 08-30-08, 02:08 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i have drilled and slotted rotors which don't make any 'swooshing' or high-pitched noise...but after taking it for service, everytime i press brake pedal, I get a clicking noise...weird

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Drilled Slotted Rotors and Noise Issues