Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How can I stiffen up my GS400's chassis? Subframe connectors? Strut tower brace?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-03, 02:05 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question How can I stiffen up my GS400's chassis? Subframe connectors? Strut tower brace?

Well this 99 GS400 I bought a few weeks ago is a very very stiff car. But still noticably not quite as stiff as my g/f's 99 540i.

Now please realize I'm not talking about a stiff RIDE - as in stiff springs or stiff shocks... I realize the difference here.
I'm talking about a stiff chassis \ stiff frame. IE: when you go over bumps in the road, how 'solid' and 'unitized' the car feels going over them.

Less stiff cars, such as the Maxima I had before this car, will feel very loose and sloppy like everything is shifting in a different direction when you over bumps.

And while I realize this is partially a factor of build quality, it's also heavily dependent on chassis rigidity.

So my question is, what options are available to me as a GS400 owner?

I know strut tower braces are made for both front and rear. Which brand is most effective for the dollar? Does anyone know for sure?

Also, does anyone make, or has anyone considered making subframe connectors for this car?

Are there any other available options short of putting a roll cage in here?
Old 02-24-03, 02:37 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Welcome on board!!

You have come to the right place!! Now you will not stop modding your car!

TRD (aka Toyota Racing Development) have specifically developed products for the GS series.

1. TRD Front Lower chassis Brace
2. TRD Front Strut Tower Bar.

Another popular manufacturer is Toms (also Japanese) and they make
1. Toms Rear Lower Chassis brace.
2. Toms rear 6-link bracing kit
3. Toms Rear strut tower bar.

These two are the most widely used and are of high quality. They are also very reasonably priced through one of the sponsors of this club site - www.carsontoyota.com - just ask for Steve Ganz in Parts. He is simply amazing. A majority if not all members here buy parts from him all the time.

When you are ready to improve the handling, let us know and we will gladly point you in the right direction.!
Old 02-24-03, 02:45 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Hameed
Welcome on board!!

You have come to the right place!! Now you will not stop modding your car!

TRD (aka Toyota Racing Development) have specifically developed products for the GS series.

1. TRD Front Lower chassis Brace
2. TRD Front Strut Tower Bar.

Another popular manufacturer is Toms (also Japanese) and they make
1. Toms Rear Lower Chassis brace.
2. Toms rear 6-link bracing kit
3. Toms Rear strut tower bar.

These two are the most widely used and are of high quality. They are also very reasonably priced through one of the sponsors of this club site - www.carsontoyota.com - just ask for Steve Ganz in Parts. He is simply amazing. A majority if not all members here buy parts from him all the time.

When you are ready to improve the handling, let us know and we will gladly point you in the right direction.!
Thanks for the info!
2 more questions:
Who makes the more effective subframe connectors? Toms or TRD?
Also: What is a "rear 6-link bracing kit"? In all of my time dealing with Camaros and Mustangs I've never heard of such a mod.
Old 02-24-03, 02:53 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally posted by Threxx
Thanks for the info!
2 more questions:
Who makes the more effective subframe connectors? Toms or TRD?
Also: What is a "rear 6-link bracing kit"? In all of my time dealing with Camaros and Mustangs I've never heard of such a mod.
Who makes more effective bracing kits? That's a tough question. I think TRD make very good stuff and this is what I did on my car - TRD Front Lower chassis brace and Toms Rear lower chassis brace.

My next mod will be the TRD front strut tower bar and Toms rear strut tower bar.

The six link suspension bracing kit is just that - it braces the lower subframe assembly and suspension. How effective is it? It's hard to say. It does make some difference though.
Old 02-27-16, 03:13 PM
clintdaddy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have searched and searched for a side by side comparison of the Tom's LCB and the TRD LCB. Is the Tom's worth the premium?
Old 02-28-16, 01:08 PM
greene
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Threxx,
I come from a mustang background as well. Since the underside of the GS is a lot different than what were are use too it just takes a few more pieces but can get much of the same results. The main difference in the rear end is much more complex. I'm about done with the rear end of my GS430, and when I make a right turn into a driveway the inside rear tire will lift off the ground like the whole car is tied together in one piece. No flex at all.
1.The 6 link bracing kit ties the IRS together to take the flex away, yet the IRS function as it should.(3 braces for each side)
2. The front lower chassis brace is a must. the stock one is just too flimsy.
3. Front strut tower bar
With these you should be on your way. I would also recommend urethane steering rack and sway bar bushings if you don't want to spend $500 on sway bars, along with sway bar end links front and rear, and front lower ball joints.
Old 02-28-16, 01:22 PM
greene
Driver School Candidate

There are also the arms on the rear that's gives you a firmer feeling and allow for adjustment.
1. rear lower control arms
2. rear toe arms
3. rear traction rods
4. Not necessary but helps rear upper control arm (rear upper camber kit), I have all but this one.
Old 02-28-16, 05:41 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Greene, I don't think Threxx visits this forum anymore. It's been 13 years since this thread was created.
Old 02-29-16, 01:11 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Greene, I don't think Threxx visits this forum anymore. It's been 13 years since this thread was created.
His last post was in mat of 2015 so he may stop by from time to time lol post # 28 https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ml#post9035636
Old 03-03-16, 10:38 AM
greene
Driver School Candidate

WoW.. My fault. Should have checked the dates b4 I responded.