Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I'm going to torch my car

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-14, 07:30 PM
Albatross
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I'm going to torch my car

Not really but its frustrating.

I just replaced the rack to cure a wandering issue. It helped but guess what? still does it.

go through a corner and the rear suspension has to "load" itself. then if you go in a corner another direction you can feel it all shift to the other side.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Important note! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the problem is NOT:

- front and rear control arm bushings (those are new)
- steering rack bushings (new)
- steering rack or inner tie rods (new)
- ball joints (all good)
- struts or springs (all good and wouldn't cause this anyways)

Please don't suggest I check or replace these
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its either diff or subframe bushings or both. I just replaced EVERY bushing under the car to fix this and its STILL happening.

if I'm cruising in a straight line and wobble the wheel it'll start an uncontrollable wobble that only braking cures. So if you jerk the wheel fast to switch lanes in a hurry... it can be bad.

So can diff bushings cause this or am I in need of subframe bushings?

where can I get those on the cheap? I'm like 700 bucks into fixing this right now and while the car does drive way better this crap is driving me nuts.

HELP PLEASE!

UPDATE:

This is the rear subframe bushing in the car. I think the reason supra bushigns are stiffer is due to them being completely filled with rubber vs the SC300's having these big gaps on top and bottom. You could conceivably fill those voids with window weld, throw some giant washers on there, and that might help things out a lot.

The guy said as long as the supplemental bushings had a bushing to fill they would work. We shall see soon, i suppose.

Last edited by Albatross; 07-25-14 at 08:34 PM.
Old 07-24-14, 07:34 PM
monkey92
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

have you checked your struts?
Old 07-24-14, 09:12 PM
AnonymousG
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What have you replaced suspension wise so far and checked?
Old 07-25-14, 05:27 AM
Albatross
Pole Position

struts and springs are good. I got them from a forum member and they've only performed exactly (or better than) my megan racing coils I changed.

I think doing the bushing job has stiffened up everything in the rear and the stock subframe bushings are old and stock so when enough force is applied to one corner its shifting the entire assembly. Its all I can think of and I hope the window weld trick works because I doubt solid subframe mounts are DD friendly.

new parts:

- front and rear control arm bushings
- steering rack bushings
- steering rack
Old 07-25-14, 07:18 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Albatross
struts and springs are good. I got them from a forum member and they've only performed exactly (or better than) my megan racing coils I changed.

I think doing the bushing job has stiffened up everything in the rear and the stock subframe bushings are old and stock so when enough force is applied to one corner its shifting the entire assembly. Its all I can think of and I hope the window weld trick works because I doubt solid subframe mounts are DD friendly.

new parts:

- front and rear control arm bushings
- steering rack bushings
- steering rack
Yeah I think you're right, it's the sub frame and/or bushings, especially if they are original. The guy I bought my car from went down the same road, ended up replacing the whole sub frame for a "sloppy turning" issue..

On another note, whats this window weld trick?
Old 07-25-14, 08:14 AM
Albatross
Pole Position

Window weld is polyurethane in a tube used to stick glass on cars. A lot of guys fill old motor mounts and tranny mounts with the stuff to make better than new mounts that are more rigid than rubber.

I've used it for that before. After looking at some pics online im not sure if this will work on these. I might just have to drop the subframe and press in some new ones.

BAH.
Old 07-25-14, 08:42 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Window weld is polyurethane in a tube used to stick glass on cars. A lot of guys fill old motor mounts and tranny mounts with the stuff to make better than new mounts that are more rigid than rubber.

I've used it for that before. After looking at some pics online im not sure if this will work on these. I might just have to drop the subframe and press in some new ones.

BAH.
Ohh yeah, I've seen that with a lot of Honda guys, easy way to make solid mounts and honestly, just as good.. I thought you were talking about welding something together, like closing a window or something lol, my bad..
Old 07-25-14, 11:42 AM
Albatross
Pole Position

I'm gonna try these out and see if it fixes things:
SC300/400 Cross-Member Rear Mount Supplemental Bushings G1GS_SC_SUBSUP_SP2520K
SC300/400 Cross-Member Rear Subframe Front Mount Supplemental Bushings G1GS_SC_SUBSUP_SP2553K

we'll see what happens.
Old 07-25-14, 01:01 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i highly suggest not getting suplemental bushings especially if they are indeed as bad as you say. Order up the front and rear subrame bushings but for the supra (same size just harder rubber than lexus). They aren't very expensive, maybe $250 or so and take maybe 20 minutes to smack out with a mallet. I just did this with solid mounts and including taking out the whole subframe, I was done in 4 hours. I'd also check out tires and wheel bearings.
Old 07-25-14, 01:15 PM
Albatross
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
i highly suggest not getting suplemental bushings especially if they are indeed as bad as you say. Order up the front and rear subrame bushings but for the supra (same size just harder rubber than lexus). They aren't very expensive, maybe $250 or so and take maybe 20 minutes to smack out with a mallet. I just did this with solid mounts and including taking out the whole subframe, I was done in 4 hours. I'd also check out tires and wheel bearings.
just ordered them. visually they appear to be okay, i think the issue is that the rest of the rear suspension being so rigid is putting excess torque on the subframe twisting and the old bushings have room to wiggle. The guy at figs said as long as they have A bushing to fill they should do the job and obviously if they don't I'll just use them with the new supra bushings I'll end up purchasing.
Old 07-25-14, 01:39 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sway bars control the cars roll from side to side when turning. They act to stop the side to side "sway" on your suspension. For this reason the acutal name for them is "anti-sway bars". Have you considered these as your problem?
Old 07-25-14, 05:14 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Albatross cars is lookin good, like the Supra wheels. My first SC had a lot of tendancey to follow the road, found that a new set of tires helped a lot. I think the old ones were directional.
Old 07-25-14, 05:21 PM
Albatross
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Sway bars control the cars roll from side to side when turning. They act to stop the side to side "sway" on your suspension. For this reason the acutal name for them is "anti-sway bars". Have you considered these as your problem?
no because sway is not what I am experiencing. Think of it like this, its like the rear steers the car for a second until it settles.
Old 07-25-14, 05:40 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats is very strange.
Old 07-25-14, 05:51 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

no because sway is not what I am experiencing. Think of it like this, its like the rear steers the car for a second until it settles.
scENFORCER's sway bar suggestion was the first thing in this thread that struck me as making sense, but I admit to not knowing how the various bushings would affect things.

Any chance there's frame damage? That could really mess up handling in unpredictable ways.

What you're describing almost sounds like something large is rolling around in the trunk, but I think you'd know if your fuel tank or spare tire were roaming free back there!

Quick Reply: I'm going to torch my car