Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Good idea to lower my commuter gs300?

Old 05-05-14, 01:33 AM
joshyee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good idea to lower my commuter gs300?

Noob here. Did a bit of research on lowering cars. Just want to get some reassurance from you guys.

don't want to lower for stance or anything. Plan on putting some nicer 18, 19 or 20 inch wheels on it and I figure a 1.5 to 2 inch drop would top it off(idk I'm guessing). And i would really like to keep the smoothness of the ride if possible. But main concern i have is if it's a good idea to lower my gs which is also my commuter/family car. Drive to work is a good 15 minute street 15 minute highway for one trip. This car will be driven a lot. Big reason why I bought her was the reliability and durability. Of course I'll be doing regular maintenance and all that. Will lowering add more problems with all the driving? Tires wear faster I would assume. Is that all? From my tiny bit of research, if I want to keep the smoothness I better save up for coilovers. Safe to assume just getting lowering springs won't help with all the driving it'll be doing or help keep a smooth ride.

If it isn't a problem lowering, what's a recommended rim size, (I'm fine with 18 or 19s) tire width, offsets, and coilover kit to fit the needs of a commuter. These 16 inch stock rims with curb rash has to go.

Sorry, was searching around didn't find a question like this. Might be common sense to most but I have no idea and just want to make sure. Thanks.
Old 05-05-14, 10:13 AM
DriftOner
Rookie

I've got 18's on my GS that I have lowered as far as my tein comfort sports will go. The ride is just like stock but with a little added performance. I don't scrape on anything. Love every minute of driving it. I drive it probably 50 miles each day to work and back.
Old 05-06-14, 08:09 AM
RoMiLex
Driver

I do like how low you got on Tein CSs. Is that as low as they go? Personally I wouldnt get down that low because i like the even gap between the tire and lip look. So no tucking for me. But its nice to know the CS can get that low.
Old 05-06-14, 08:21 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by joshyee
Noob here. Did a bit of research on lowering cars. Just want to get some reassurance from you guys.

don't want to lower for stance or anything. Plan on putting some nicer 18, 19 or 20 inch wheels on it and I figure a 1.5 to 2 inch drop would top it off(idk I'm guessing). And i would really like to keep the smoothness of the ride if possible. But main concern i have is if it's a good idea to lower my gs which is also my commuter/family car. Drive to work is a good 15 minute street 15 minute highway for one trip. This car will be driven a lot. Big reason why I bought her was the reliability and durability. Of course I'll be doing regular maintenance and all that. Will lowering add more problems with all the driving? Tires wear faster I would assume. Is that all? From my tiny bit of research, if I want to keep the smoothness I better save up for coilovers. Safe to assume just getting lowering springs won't help with all the driving it'll be doing or help keep a smooth ride.

If it isn't a problem lowering, what's a recommended rim size, (I'm fine with 18 or 19s) tire width, offsets, and coilover kit to fit the needs of a commuter. These 16 inch stock rims with curb rash has to go.

Sorry, was searching around didn't find a question like this. Might be common sense to most but I have no idea and just want to make sure. Thanks.
Your tires would be fine if you get an alignment. If you plan on using them for 50K, 60K, 70K, or more miles, expect to send it in to the manufacturer for a rebuild.
Old 05-09-14, 09:42 AM
joshyee
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for replies

I was considering saving up for tiens cs coilovers. Thanks. Now I know at least a lot of driving isn't going to be rough on the tires or lose the smoothness. Thanks. Now to figure what kind of wheels I want.
Old 05-24-14, 10:05 PM
Tank
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts

Why not..................
Old 05-25-14, 05:57 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

are those coils adjustable body? cause lowering it all the way without adjusting the body is going to blow those coils quick

i went a different route (not completely on purpose but its alright) i got the sage rcas and im on 19's. it was orignally going to go on bags but i like how it turned out. my car doesnt see any kind of hard driving at all though. im not sure if you considered any performance to go with your mods

just remember to plan your stuff so it will save you a headache later on down the road
Old 05-26-14, 03:24 AM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Megan's I recommend Megan's if you want nice smooth ride with out a super crazy drop plus good price ". Recommend there LP series but the ez streets I have heard good things as well.
Old 06-11-14, 03:01 PM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SC4Paulo
Megan's I recommend Megan's if you want nice smooth ride with out a super crazy drop plus good price ". Recommend there LP series but the ez streets I have heard good things as well.
Hey bro- You didn't have Megan LP's on the White GS in your sig, did you? THAT CAR IS SLAMMED!!!

I'm having a REALLY tough time deciding between Megan LP's

THESE!!! (HKS Hipermax LS+) (they appear to be REALLY clean/MINT, except for the one missing **** or whatever he's pointing to in the one pic)
http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-T...2d4ae6&vxp=mtr

BC Racing coilovers

STANCE coilovers

ORRR.....
or should I just spend the extra and get the TEIN CS and be able to upgrade to the EDFC kit later on.... (which is really nice for changing roads if driving across the country- which I very well may be doing later this year with the my GS4!- To VEGAS!)

Lastly, the BILSTEIIN PSS coilover kit is also on my mind... so unsure.

I have the 30mm (SAGE) RCA's already installed up front, and the Exact (20mm?) RCA's installed in the rear. Currently sitting at 0.00% of 'neg' camber in the rear! - So I can't wait to DECIDE a set of coilovers and install them so I can lower the back a little more and correct that

PLEASE give input- ANYBODY/EVERYBODY! thanks....
Old 08-25-14, 06:26 AM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm currently on Megan EZ with Megan RCA on stock 16s. I'm tucked in the rear and showing almost alil bit of top tire on the front. I commute my car to work. Its not that easy to ride cuz my settings are mid-level soft so there's alil bounce when driving over dips. I have one problem, I noticed when I turn my wheel full lock , my steering become off aligned if that makes sense. I would turn the wheel full lock to the other side and it would be normal again. Any reason why that happens? I drive and when I make turns, they're wide now just so I won't loose control of my steering wheel.
Old 08-25-14, 10:21 AM
AKS14
Pit Crew

My GS is daily driven, I do about 75 miles round trip to work, and then other errands so it can be up over 100 miles easily a day.

I'm on BC Racing Xtreme Drops, 10k front 10k rear (with how I like a bit sportier/stiffer ride I kind of wish I would have gone a bit stiffer, maybe 14k 12k, but the 10/10 rides nice and almost like factory just a bit stiffer/tighter). 19x9.5 and 19x10.4 +22 or 24 (cant remember) Varrstoen ES3's.

The roads here in central FL are pretty nice, but even going over cobblestone its not bad as long as you arent going really fast.

The only issue I would say would be the upper A arm hitting the body, I hole sawed the lower portion the metal but didnt go to the second layer so there isnt a huge hole, and it bought me a little extra room, but on sharp bumps it will clunk.

Heres a pic of my car for reference.
Old 08-25-14, 10:24 AM
AKS14
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SPRTNYDSN
, I noticed when I turn my wheel full lock , my steering become off aligned if that makes sense. I would turn the wheel full lock to the other side and it would be normal again. Any reason why that happens? I drive and when I make turns, they're wide now just so I won't loose control of my steering wheel.
That sounds like it could be a rack bushing issue?
I know on my 240 which uses a slightly different mounting style, if the rack bushings wear it will allow the rack to slide around so you will have similar symptoms to what you are describing.

The GS uses a bit different style rack mount on the one side, so the rack physically bolts to the crossmember and isnt just pinched in place, but it still has a bushing there which could hypothetically wear and allow the rack to shift slightly.

I would jack the car up and check bushings, it could be a very simple fix.
Old 08-25-14, 11:28 AM
SPRTNYDSN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AKS14
That sounds like it could be a rack bushing issue?
I know on my 240 which uses a slightly different mounting style, if the rack bushings wear it will allow the rack to slide around so you will have similar symptoms to what you are describing.

The GS uses a bit different style rack mount on the one side, so the rack physically bolts to the crossmember and isnt just pinched in place, but it still has a bushing there which could hypothetically wear and allow the rack to shift slightly.

I would jack the car up and check bushings, it could be a very simple fix.
Thats strange because with the coils and arms installed, I also got the Daizen control arm, sway bar and steering rack bushing kit installed but I'll ask my mechanic to check it out.

Last edited by SPRTNYDSN; 08-25-14 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-26-14, 01:31 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

im riding 19's with just an rca kit. 30mm. trd sways and that's about it for suspension aside from urethane bushings everywhere. my aim was to keep the ride smooth while making turns flatter. I still don't like the rear sway though. :P
Old 08-30-14, 11:59 AM
Coachb
Driver School Candidate

I bought my gs3 6 months ago slightly dropped on ksports.... i wore out the inside of my tires pretty quickly now im thinking there wasnt an alignment done but i need it raised since these vegas roads suck. So ive bought the bilstein HDs but still not sure which springs for a good ride..... any thoughts?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Good idea to lower my commuter gs300?