Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Advice on lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-14, 08:02 PM
SCSurf
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on lowering springs

I'm new to car customization as I just bought my first sports car (I had a truck for the previous ride) and I have the mod big after seeing everyone's rides.

I currently have a stock 2014 350 RWD F-Sport and one of the things I noticed from cruising around on these boards is the wheel gap. It never bothered me before, but now that I've been made aware of it, it does lol.

I took a look at a couple of the lowering threads (the post with the photo comparisons of the various springs have been extremely helpful) but I'm still out of the loop.

I want to a flush look, but not a slammed look. From the post mentioned, the Tanabe NF210 and the RS-R Downs seem like the two that would be in contention. I read somewhere that Lexus designed the car with a reverse rake (not entirely sure what this means except that the front is higher than the back). I would like to keep the appearance fairly leveled. I'm almost highly putting the AimGain Type II diffuser on as well later in the year.

Can you guys shed any recommendations or advice? Possibly educate me some more on car customization?
Old 06-23-14, 09:08 PM
ultran00b8
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You won't gain a even drop with springs. I don't know why the manufacturers don't release something that corrects the reverse rake. I'm sure it was put in place for a reason but unless driven at the limit, I doubt it'd make much of a difference if the car were to sit level.

I'd say save up for coils.
Old 06-23-14, 10:47 PM
SCSurf
Driver

So if I wanted an even drop, I'd have to get coils? And regardless of the brand of springs, the front would sit higher than the rear?

The pictures from the comparison post make it look like it's an even drop. Is there some tuning the shop has to do to get it like that or is it just physically impossible to get an even drop on springs?
Old 06-24-14, 10:24 AM
braddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm on RSR down springs and yes the front is higher than the rear but i plan to install a sleeve from a coilover setup in the rear springs so i'll be able to rise the rear to be even with the front.

A coilover sleeve is this :

Get the idea? So, yes its possible with just springs with a sleeve in the rear to get an even drop.

Will do it in a few weeks and ill post the pics.
Old 06-24-14, 10:27 AM
braddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cause the rear in the RSR down spring kit is a little bit too low the rear, tire's tuck in the fender. Just 1/4 to 1/2 inch higher will do the job to have an even drop.
Old 06-24-14, 12:17 PM
SCSurf
Driver

Sweet! Thanks man. Let me know how that goes. I'm pretty set on picking up the RS*R Downs. I emailed the guys there and they said it is designed to work perfectly with the car - he even showed me pictures. The tire tuck didn't look too bad, but I want that even drop.

Also, are you running stock F-Sport wheels with your downs? Are you using spacers & if so, what size & brand?
Old 06-24-14, 12:23 PM
SCSurf
Driver

How much should I expect to spend for labor & parts to get an even drop, flush look?

I read in the other thread that somebody spent $250 for spacers, the RS*R Downs are $280, and the labor I'm assuming is around $300? braddy also suggested a coilover sleeve. I have no idea how much this would cost, but given what I have so far, I'm looking at about $1000 for an even drop set up?
Old 06-24-14, 01:17 PM
saewoo
Rookie

If your in SoCal, Spacers $250, RS*R Downs $280, Installation $125, and alignment after the springs settles which is about $100. For spacers, I would recommend installing the springs first let it sit for a week. Install the spacers yourself so you have to spend more cash on something that you can do. Then, send the car for an alignment.
Old 06-25-14, 04:15 PM
168Motor
Former Sponsor

Loving the RS-R Super Down springs that I have on my car!
I personally think it is never low enough!

Feel free to PM me for installation specials or any questions!
-Kevin
Old 06-25-14, 08:16 PM
bucanero
Pole Position

^^ Great stance and wheel combo. One of the better looking ones (IMO) on here. I'm not a Vossen wheels fan. Great job.
Old 06-26-14, 05:41 AM
jaznraz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by braddy
I'm on RSR down springs and yes the front is higher than the rear but i plan to install a sleeve from a coilover setup in the rear springs so i'll be able to rise the rear to be even with the front.

A coilover sleeve is this :

Get the idea? So, yes its possible with just springs with a sleeve in the rear to get an even drop.

Will do it in a few weeks and ill post the pics.
Are you sure this will work? Pics of the BC and J5 coilover adjuster sleeves for the 3is are shown below and these sleeves are much taller than what you posted above. I would assume that if you added these adjusters to the standard length RSR or Tein springs, the car would be much higher. You would also need to make sure the inside diameter of the spring matches the outside diameter of the sleeve.

the calipers and this measurement has no relevance to this post, it's the only pic I had of the sleeve

If the OP wants an even drop, my advice would be to get BC coilovers. They can be purchased for around $950 which would be an additional $650 over springs. I just switched from super down's to BC's and it's the best "additional" money that I've ever spent.
Old 06-26-14, 02:06 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I use Megan on one of my setups

However carrying all the major brands

KW/ Stance/ BC/ Megan/ RSR and more

for the Lexus RSR is the best in my opinion.

Once again everyone is titled to their opinions mine is based on supplying the products knowing the product knowledge from manufacturing to the team behind the company and installing them on vehicles for clients.