Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Cranking noise from front wheels

Old 06-18-14, 08:19 PM
MikeTS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cranking noise from front wheels

Hello

I decided to start this thread because I haven't found a thread related to the issue I have with my car on here, or maybe there is one but I just have not come across it yet.

If any of you knows about a thread related to the issue I am going to explain further, please let me know.

Problem: I hear cranking noise from the front wheel on the passenger side when the car is starting to accelerate or when it is slowing down at a traffic light or parking spot. The cranking noise gets very loud like two pieces of metal are rubbing together or something is breaking, especially when the car is moving about 3-5 mph with the front wheels are slightly turned (for example, when backing out from a parking spot or getting out from the parkway with the wheels slightly turned).

I just took my car to a local Lexus dealer and they checked the lower ball joints, and there is nothing wrong with it. They also didn't notify me what is causing the cranking noise. I don't know what is really causing this issue. It just makes me feel unsafe to drive on the freeway!

The cranking noise only appears during dry weather, but it is gone during winter time when it is raining. If anyone has had this issue before and knows what is causing it, please let me know.

Any advice is highly appreciated!!!

Vehicle: 2001 Lexus GS300
Old 06-18-14, 08:45 PM
johhntran
Driver

my car kind of does this as well, but from both sides... more so on the passenger side. when i got an alignment i tried looking for it from underneath but it echos so much i couldnt really pinpoint it without a stethoscope. tried a long screwdriver/breakerbar didnt work...i could feel the vibration from the knuckle though. some one else mentioned upper control arm/ball joint, steering rack bushings, endlinks, swaybar bushings

ttt for this thread
Old 06-18-14, 08:47 PM
johhntran
Driver

you could also try looking at your eccentric bolts for the camber adjustment on the front lower control arm too if its loose it would make noise
Old 06-19-14, 08:28 AM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

an old LS that i worked on had no bushings for the sway bar and that gave him a creaking noise when turning

maybe yours are gone? at least all you gotta do is take a look to verify
Old 06-20-14, 05:41 PM
MikeTS
Driver School Candidate

@johhntran and marshun,

Thanks for the info. I will take a look at those. By the way, I am no way near even a newbie mechanic so I don't know the terms you use or where the parts you mentioned is located.

However, I am trying to learn to DIY my car to save the bucks!!!

After driving the car today under hot weather, I have a feeling that the problem could be from the rack and pinion because the noise got much louder whenever the wheels are turned just a little bit.

But I will check and let you guys know more.
Old 06-20-14, 06:03 PM
marshun
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

its always good to learn how to work on your car. you'll save a ton of money throughout the years