Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

ISC N1 Coilovers REVIEW.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-14, 11:06 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Default ISC N1 Coilovers REVIEW.

I understand this may be in the wrong forum, I hope to get the ISx50 owners a little bit of feedback about these coilovers. Mods, my apologies, please move thread as necessary.

Coils: ISC Suspension N1
Springs: 180mm, 12K/8K (Street Comfort Set Up)
Vendor: AJW Performance (through Andrew Wallace)
Retail $: $950.00 (see Andrew for CL specific pricing)
Installer: iRide Customs (Arlington, TX), done by shop owner Vinh.
Drop: 2" F, 1.75 R (I believe)

Ordered on Monday morning, shipped Monday afternoon, received by Thursday afternoon. Really is great customer service. My asked for a street-comfortable setup. Andrew was nice enough to include rear extenders so that I dont have to pull out my trunk liner every time I needed to adjust the dampeners.

Initial Impressions:

The coilovers seem to be well built, included all tools I needed. The adjusters can be removed if necessary. I left mine in so that I dont lose them. I had iRide paint my GFX lip, and it was more beneficial to my time to pay a pro to install this in much less time than I could at home. It's a much better install when you have a lift, lol. Springs were preloaded by 5mm. BTW, if anyone in DFW needs a good shop to do their installs, Vinh at iRide Customs is awesome. He stayed late on a Saturday afternoon to finish my car, even when I said he could hold off until Monday. He painted my GFX lip and matched the color perfectly. Just a hard-working guy who takes pride in his work. Took the time to torque down every single lug nuts on my car by hand, and never used an impact on the any lug nut, he even applied anti-seize on my hub rings to make sure they don't get stuck later. It's all about the attention to the little details that makes the whole experience very satisfying. I'm taking my car to him from now on for all my repairs.

First 24 Hours:

Initial drop and dampening settings: 16 Clicks in the front, 12 clicks in the rear.
As I drove home, I was trying to take note of the comfort level first, it drove identical to my stock set up. No bouncing at all. Went over bumps smoothly and not rough. I haven't adjusted the dampeners more yet. As the week progresses, I will continue this post to update on the coils as they settle in more.

The most noticeable difference when cornering, I purposely drove my car as normal as possible. And at first it handled exactly like stock. It wasn't until I took a sharp turn that I realized there is much less body roll. Note, I have cheap tires on the wheels right now, saving my Michelins until these cheapos wear out. The setting I have right now is almost perfect, I have a slight rub in the rear, on hard bumps, which I will try to fix in the upcoming days. For the first 24 hours, these coilovers, compared to my friend's Megan LPs are definitely a better set-up. My friend admitted that after test driving my car. Compared to another friend's BC BRs, they are much more comfortable, but he also has a higher spring rate, and he drives a 3-series.

First day:

Ride: 10/10 (1 being horrible, 10 being stock comfort level)
Handling: 8/10 (1 being horrible, 10 very responsive)

STAY TUNED for more as I drive my car on my daily commutes and provide more long term feedbacks.

Here are some pictures for you guys to see how my car is sitting.

Old 07-13-14, 11:36 AM
88IS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the stance! Looking forward to how they do in the coming days. I am looking to get my self a set for the track and cant decide what to get. I want comfortable for the daily driver part and good cornering ability for the circuit.
Old 07-13-14, 04:39 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Good review! We really need a dedicated review sub-forum.

Your spring rates are perfect for DD'ing; I have a exact same rates on m BCRs, and they're smooth as OEM (if dampened correctly). You'll enjoy the ride comfort; but if hitting those corners hard, you'll find yourself wishing you went with 14k/10k. Dial-up the dampening and see how you like those corners, after you fix the rubbing issue.

GL!
Old 07-13-14, 06:14 PM
ixAznBeNxi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good review! making me excited to get my isc coils in! im also going to run varrstoens es1! im still stuck between the es1 and the gf7s
Old 07-13-14, 07:04 PM
kennyD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ixAznBeNxi
good review! making me excited to get my isc coils in! im also going to run varrstoens es1! im still stuck between the es1 and the gf7s
That's exactly what I'm running. Your car isn't SGM is it? lol
Old 07-16-14, 05:39 AM
kennyD
Intermediate

Mid Week Update:

I set the suspension on the stiffest setting to drive around for 20 minutes, it was still not uncomfortable. Although it did get a little bouncy even on small bumps. The handling feel is noticeably better with the stiffer setting. (duh right?)

Then I set it on the softest setting for another 20 minute drive. This time the car felt smooth as stock, I liked it so much that I left it this way for the rest of the day. Comfortably ride with slightly increased handling feel.

The next day, I set the front at 15 clicks and rear at 12 clicks (out of 32). This is the setting I am on right now. I'm still getting 90% stock ride quality without compromising much of the "enhanced" handling. It could be in my head. So far so good, for the price I cannot complain about these coilovers.

I will increase the setting toward the stiffer position until I find an ideal set-up for myself. After a few hundred miles I will update again.
Old 07-16-14, 12:22 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

I'm currently at 16 clicks up front and 12 out back on my BCRs for DD'ing. Like you said, it's a good compromise of comfort and upgrade sporty-feel and feedback. Like you stated, you expect the coils to settle some; like you probably will notice, I experienced a 1/2" additional drop after my BCRs coils settled. I do not have the upgraded Swift springs.
Old 07-17-14, 08:53 AM
ISC Suspension
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you are enjoying them, car looks great!