Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Steering wheel tilted after 3 alignments!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-16, 06:23 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering wheel tilted after 3 alignments!!!

I have a 2014 IS350 F Sport RWD with roughly 28k miles on them. Recently bought Conti DWS tires with OEM sizes from TireRack. Had them delivered to a recommended installer (i'll leave their name out for now).

So here's the history:
1) Tire place installed tires and did an alignment. I drove the car after and the car pulled to the right and there was vibration on the steering wheel going 75mph+, which was not present before. I could do 90mph before and it was still smooth as a baby's butt.
2) Took the car back to the same installer, they redid alignment and balancing. No charge, so I guess first alignment and balance was off and it was their fault. Drove the car but it still pulled a little to the right. Less vibration in steering wheel.
3) Took it back for the third time, which this time the car tracks straight, with maybe the slightest ever pull to the right, no vibration, HOWEVER, the steering wheel is TILTED to the RIGHT! I didn't notice before because I equated it to the right pulling previously. Now that it goes straight, i don't understand why the steering wheel is titled.
4) Took it back again, the tech said he did the alignment each time and its within spec, he's the only one that works on the car, no other tech did (company policy). They also had a alignment software update recently during my third visit. But still doesn't explain why steering wheel is titled. I told him it still pull very, very slightly right and steering wheel is slightly tilted right. He said he didn't notice since he tests cars on local roads. I notice it slightly on local driving, but even more so on smooth flat highways. He cross rotated the front tires side-to-side. It helped a little, tracks somewhat straight, but steering wheel is still tilted. He says if it persists, come back and he will cross rotate the rear tires.
5) Issue still persisted. Visited the tech on a day he told me to return. A$$wipe was not there, was his day off!! WTF? Came back on a different day, decided to call in an hour ahead before going there. Only a swap of the rears to no appointment necessary. Called in and found out he left an hour early since there was "no work" left for the day. This place is god awful!!!

Now i'm sitting around searching through CL to see if other 14 IS350 RWD owners are having similar issues and how they corrected it? I even did general searches on the web and some people have said its a tie rod issue with the toe spec. Granted is on a BMW but in concept it should all work the same. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=749585

The original alignment all was green and in spec. I misplaced my original alignment sheet, and the other two they never gave me printouts for. Otherwise i would post up specs. Anyways if anyone has suggestions, i would really appreciate the help!!! Thanks much!
Old 03-07-16, 06:29 AM
Vivid101
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It sounds like that place and the guy doing the alignment sucks. There is nothing different about the Lexus alignment procedure that is different from pretty much any other car manufacturer in regards to bolts to tighten and loosen to get it in spec.

Just check this off as a loss and go to another shop.
Old 03-07-16, 08:46 AM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

if your alignment was fine before the new tires, and way out of whack afterwards, then it's highly possible the shop got into an accident with your car and messed up the alignment. I would get it checked out by another shop and see if anything looks scraped underneath the car or if any suspension components look damaged.

It is also possible the alignment tech is just an idiot and can't perform an alignment to save his life. He'd have to be REALLY bad though for the steering angle and vibration to happen after a simple alignment.
Old 03-08-16, 10:17 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vivid101
It sounds like that place and the guy doing the alignment sucks. There is nothing different about the Lexus alignment procedure that is different from pretty much any other car manufacturer in regards to bolts to tighten and loosen to get it in spec.

Just check this off as a loss and go to another shop.
Agree with your point. However, i'm a guy of principle. why should i need to pay another $100 to do an alignment elsewhere wasting more of my time and eating my own pocket cost.. i think i will do what you recommend, see a different installer, if they can fix my issue, i am gonna get the first installer to pay my tab since they couldn't do it right.

Originally Posted by CLUM
if your alignment was fine before the new tires, and way out of whack afterwards, then it's highly possible the shop got into an accident with your car and messed up the alignment. I would get it checked out by another shop and see if anything looks scraped underneath the car or if any suspension components look damaged.

It is also possible the alignment tech is just an idiot and can't perform an alignment to save his life. He'd have to be REALLY bad though for the steering angle and vibration to happen after a simple alignment.
oh good god no, i certainly hope they didn't wreck it! what did **** me off was one of their idiot ppl parked too close to the curb and scracthed the underneath of my front bumper.. this ******* people i swear..
Old 03-17-16, 08:59 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Go to a different place. Alignment machines need to be calibrated periodically. If they're not, and most shop owners won't spring for it, the sensors may read perfect but you still won't get a good alignment. Hunter calibration service isn't cheap.

I only go to shops that use Hunter machines and I tend to ask when the last time a Hunter guy came out to do calibrate the rack.

Also, the guy under the car is the most important part. I've had a guy try to align my car with the ramps uneven before. I told him to bring the car down on the locks before locating the sensors or else it'll screw with the readings. He didn't. I had to come back.

I'm a nut about alignments, but they're a real ***** to get done right and I don't have the space or a perfectly level area to do them myself, or else I would.

Last edited by GrandSedanFan; 03-17-16 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-18-16, 03:37 PM
Napalvr
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by panyo64
Go to a different place. Alignment machines need to be calibrated periodically. If they're not, and most shop owners won't spring for it, the sensors may read perfect but you still won't get a good alignment. Hunter calibration service isn't cheap.

I only go to shops that use Hunter machines and I tend to ask when the last time a Hunter guy came out to do calibrate the rack.

Also, the guy under the car is the most important part. I've had a guy try to align my car with the ramps uneven before. I told him to bring the car down on the locks before locating the sensors or else it'll screw with the readings. He didn't. I had to come back.

I'm a nut about alignments, but they're a real ***** to get done right and I don't have the space or a perfectly level area to do them myself, or else I would.
Very well said. I just got an alignment yesterday and my wheel is perfectly straight and all numbers come in just under spec(lowered on rsr downs)
Old 03-23-16, 08:10 AM
AdvanSLF
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by panyo64

Thanks for the input. Yeah I must admit after going there so much and them failing to do their job correct makes me a llittle discouraged to go back and pick up fight and ask for my money back.. in any case in think you are right about going to another place.

Originally Posted by Napalvr
Very well said. I just got an alignment yesterday and my wheel is perfectly straight and all numbers come in just under spec(lowered on rsr downs)
Nice, i'm thinking about picking up some half downs and then getting an alignment, AT ANOTHER TRUSTWORTHY SHOP!
Old 03-30-16, 08:20 PM
sdotk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car starts to vibrate upon braking... is this a possible alignment issue? its a 2014 with 26k miles and I have not got it aligned or changed tires yet.
Old 03-30-16, 08:31 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by sdotk
my car starts to vibrate upon braking... is this a possible alignment issue? its a 2014 with 26k miles and I have not got it aligned or changed tires yet.
It could be a number of things
Brake rotors - pads ( I would start here)
Tires
suspension - struts and bushings
Old 03-31-16, 05:29 PM
sdotk
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msgs350
It could be a number of things
Brake rotors - pads ( I would start here)
Tires
suspension - struts and bushings
Replaced the front rotors and pads about 8000-9000 miles ago so I would assume those are fine. It's likely the tires, those need to be replaced soon
Old 03-31-16, 06:24 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by sdotk
Replaced the front rotors and pads about 8000-9000 miles ago so I would assume those are fine. It's likely the tires, those need to be replaced soon
OEM parts or aftermarket? I believe some people expirience some vibration when they use non-OEM parts but i suppose its all subjective to people's sensitivity to things.
Old 04-01-16, 07:48 AM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

vibration on braking is almost always rotors that need to be resurfaced.