Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

No install guide in RS*R box

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-14, 02:56 PM
306Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No install guide in RS*R box

Hey guys, not sure if it was just my box that came without an install guide or thats just how they come but does anyone have a resource that I could use for the install of the drop springs in my IS350 AWD. Before everyone says to have an qualified shop install the springs, I have done all the work on my vehicles from installing superchargers and turbo kits to suspension work. I just like having a guide to go from and having the torque specs for when the car goes back together.
Thanks for the help!
Old 04-15-14, 04:48 PM
amoney805
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 306Lexus
Hey guys, not sure if it was just my box that came without an install guide or thats just how they come but does anyone have a resource that I could use for the install of the drop springs in my IS350 AWD. Before everyone says to have an qualified shop install the springs, I have done all the work on my vehicles from installing superchargers and turbo kits to suspension work. I just like having a guide to go from and having the torque specs for when the car goes back together.
Thanks for the help!
Someone did a write up under one of the stech threads.
Old 04-15-14, 05:24 PM
jaznraz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

RSR doesn't include instructions, this is normal. One thing to remember, they suggest that you don't cut the bump stops.

IS350S2K provided some "how to" spring install instructions on this thread. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...springs-4.html
I would also suggest that you spend $15 and sign up for a two day subscription to the Toyota Technical Information System. Do a google search to find the website. I could provide the actual link, but when I tried to, my user name shows up. It appears that IS350S2K followed the Toyota process when doing his install.

I did my rear install a little different than what was posted by IS350S2K and what is suggested by Toyota. I didn't see the need to remove half the items they mentioned so I didn't. It worked fine for me.

Here is a really simple rundown of what I did:
Place jack stand or jack under rotor
remove sway bar link at lower control arm
remove frame brace in front of the inner lower control arm mounting bolt. This needs to be done so you can remove the bolt.
remove lower shock bolt
loosen bolt at lower control arm to knuckle joint - do not remove.
place jack under lower control arm near inner mounting bolt.
remove inner lower control arm mounting bolt and CAREFULLY lower the jack. The height of the jack is very critical when removing the bolt and when it's in the right spot, you can remove the bolt by hand.

Here is a very basic picture that shows the scenario. My picture doesn't don't show it, but if you have two jacks, I would suggest placing a second jack under the rotor instead of a jack stand. As the lower control arm is lowered and raised it can be very hard to align it with the frame. If you use a jack under the rotor, it can be raised and lowered which helps to align the inner portion of the control arm as it's lowered and raised into the frame. I used this process on the right side and it worked much better than using the jack stand.

More pics are located here. https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...73233676219521

Sorry for the half a$$ instructions but I don't feel like taking the time to list all of the processes and link all of the pictures.

Last edited by jaznraz; 04-15-14 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-15-14, 07:31 PM
306Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jaznraz
RSR doesn't include instructions, this is normal. One thing to remember, they suggest that you don't cut the bump stops.

IS350S2K provided some "how to" spring install instructions on this thread. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...springs-4.html
I would also suggest that you spend $15 and sign up for a two day subscription to the Toyota Technical Information System. Do a google search to find the website. I could provide the actual link, but when I tried to, my user name shows up. It appears that IS350S2K followed the Toyota process when doing his install.

I did my rear install a little different than what was posted by IS350S2K and what is suggested by Toyota. I didn't see the need to remove half the items they mentioned so I didn't. It worked fine for me.

Here is a really simple rundown of what I did:
Place jack stand or jack under rotor
remove sway bar link at lower control arm
remove frame brace in front of the inner lower control arm mounting bolt. This needs to be done so you can remove the bolt.
remove lower shock bolt
loosen bolt at lower control arm to knuckle joint - do not remove.
place jack under lower control arm near inner mounting bolt.
remove inner lower control arm mounting bolt and CAREFULLY lower the jack. The height of the jack is very critical when removing the bolt and when it's in the right spot, you can remove the bolt by hand.

Here is a very basic picture that shows the scenario. My picture doesn't don't show it, but if you have two jacks, I would suggest placing a second jack under the rotor instead of a jack stand. As the lower control arm is lowered and raised it can be very hard to align it with the frame. If you use a jack under the rotor, it can be raised and lowered which helps to align the inner portion of the control arm as it's lowered and raised into the frame. I used this process on the right side and it worked much better than using the jack stand.

More pics are located here. https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...73233676219521

Sorry for the half a$$ instructions but I don't feel like taking the time to list all of the processes and link all of the pictures.
Thanks so much for the tips! I may try to take the time to do a write up of my own to help out others on this site. How long start to finish do you figure it took you to do the install? Did you require a spring compressor at all?
Old 04-15-14, 07:58 PM
jaznraz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would guess 3-4 hours. I did a lot of measuring and took a lot of pictures during my install which turned the process into a half a day job.

You will need a strut style coil spring compressor for the front. You don't need a compressor for the rear.

You sound like you have a lot of mechanical experience - you'll be able to figure it out with no problem. I would suggest that you subscribe to the Toyota TIS program, it shows some good information like fastener torques and step by step processes for just about anything you would ever want to do to the car.