Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

lowering rear suspension by half an inch, do I need to re align?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-14, 02:10 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default lowering rear suspension by half an inch, do I need to re align?

Heres my car

Im planning to lower my rear suspension. About half an inch.
Do I need to align it?
Old 03-28-14, 03:25 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It would not throw your current alignment off significantly with just half more inch lower assuming you already have everything in specs. However, It does not hurt to do alignment since it isn't that expensive either. You rather be safe than sorry especially on the new tires.
Old 03-28-14, 03:48 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

80 bucks a pop isnt that cheap though. Definitely better than wearing out new tires though, i agree with that.
Old 03-28-14, 03:49 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

I was looking for this answer as well. I took 1 of my back struts off last weekend to take a look at it, and put it back on. The aligment moved barely, pretty much un-noticable. I would however get it realigned if you do both of them. I am no expert on the subject, however.
Old 03-28-14, 04:51 PM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently lowered two of my IS with lower springs. 1 with F Sport and another 1 is Eibach Pro Kit. They were in stock height and the alignment were in specs before lower.

After lowering it, I drive them about a week. I did alignment on both cars, only 1 wheel on each car (both on the right side) is out of specs while the other 3 are little off but still in specs. The camber increases to in the range of -1.3 and -1.8 though after lowering while the toe have been adjusted near 0. I paid only $59 for alignment.

How much lower do you guys have and what is your current camber and toe specs?
Old 03-28-14, 06:08 PM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FSportIS
I recently lowered two of my IS with lower springs. 1 with F Sport and another 1 is Eibach Pro Kit. They were in stock height and the alignment were in specs before lower.

After lowering it, I drive them about a week. I did alignment on both cars, only 1 wheel on each car (both on the right side) is out of specs while the other 3 are little off but still in specs. The camber increases to in the range of -1.3 and -1.8 though after lowering while the toe have been adjusted near 0. I paid only $59 for alignment.

How much lower do you guys have and what is your current camber and toe specs?
not too sure about my camber and toe spec, at all. sorry. I lowered on H&R sport springs. about 1.5 inch drop.
Old 03-28-14, 07:32 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

those are different scenario all together. if you swapped to lowering springs then of course you need an alignment because you basically took the suspension apart. same as when you freshly install coilovers.

but if you had an alignment as of recent, adjust your coils down as little as you plan on, i highly doubt that will throw off your alignment. of course going lower you are going to get more natural camber but thats not what kills tires fast, your toe being off is what will kill tires fast
Old 03-28-14, 08:48 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Originally Posted by jdmSW20
those are different scenario all together. if you swapped to lowering springs then of course you need an alignment because you basically took the suspension apart. same as when you freshly install coilovers.

but if you had an alignment as of recent, adjust your coils down as little as you plan on, i highly doubt that will throw off your alignment. of course going lower you are going to get more natural camber but thats not what kills tires fast, your toe being off is what will kill tires fast
Its not even half inch. More like 1/4 inch lol
Old 03-28-14, 08:54 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by metaleckz
i wouldnt sweat that at all then lol
Old 03-28-14, 09:00 PM
RVCAis250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by metaleckz
Heres my car

Do I need to align it?
Do you need to? Probably Not.

I would just get it aligned sooner now that you have lowered your car or find a reason to go get it aligned. What I use and what's usually a good deal is, many places offer "x" amount of years of unlimited alignment for "x" amount of dollars.
Old 03-28-14, 09:45 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Originally Posted by jdmSW20

Old 03-29-14, 06:57 AM
Downtuned
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RVCAis250
Do you need to? Probably Not.

I would just get it aligned sooner now that you have lowered your car or find a reason to go get it aligned. What I use and what's usually a good deal is, many places offer "x" amount of years of unlimited alignment for "x" amount of dollars.
re-he-heaally? So I can mess around with my suspension without worrying about having to fork over 60-80 bucks an alignment. I will be looking into this.
Old 03-30-14, 07:56 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

You don't have to unless you are **** or you are racing. It does make a difference when you are racing but for everyday driving it does not.
It will probably put your camber slightly more negative but gain basic driving will not make much difference.
Old 03-31-14, 07:44 AM
jdm2u
Driver School Candidate

I wouldn't stress on it might camber in a few but that's about it . Won't be noticeable enough for the car to pull.