Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

2g IS-F brembo on 3G IS

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-18, 10:37 AM
350phi
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by forum429
Do you have any info if it will fit on AWD version too?
Thanks
I have no clue but I do not believe the brakes are different among the AWD and FWD models. From what I've looked around, the AWD and Base models run the same type of brakes and the 200t and 350 models have the larger front brakes. the rear brakes are all the same in all the IS of this generation. Therefore, the mounting knuckle MUST be the same but i have not physical verified this myself as AWD models are rare in my area.

can anyone confirm this?
Old 06-05-18, 01:54 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by 350phi
I have no clue but I do not believe the brakes are different among the AWD and FWD models. From what I've looked around, the AWD and Base models run the same type of brakes and the 200t and 350 models have the larger front brakes. the rear brakes are all the same in all the IS of this generation. Therefore, the mounting knuckle MUST be the same but i have not physical verified this myself as AWD models are rare in my area.

can anyone confirm this?
I can confirm the 3IS front rotors and backing plate are different between the AWD and RWD models, regardless if it's a 250, 200t, 300, or 350.
The rear brake rotors, pads, shims, calipers, and backing plate are different on the 250 compared to the 200t, 300, and 350 (those 3 are all the same).
Old 06-06-18, 01:13 AM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I can confirm the 3IS front rotors and backing plate are different between the AWD and RWD models, regardless if it's a 250, 200t, 300, or 350.
The rear brake rotors, pads, shims, calipers, and backing plate are different on the 250 compared to the 200t, 300, and 350 (those 3 are all the same).
The rotors are different on AWD and RWD but the brake calipers are the same.
I wonder if the offset is the same then the IS F rotors might fit AWD too.
So now can we confirm the IS-F will fit and perform on a 3IS RWD?
Old 06-06-18, 09:12 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

AWD and RWD rotors have the same offset.

Jeff
Old 06-06-18, 09:29 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
AWD and RWD rotors have the same offset.

Jeff
Any idea what the difference is between the AWD and RWD front rotors?
if it's not the offset or size, then what?
Old 06-06-18, 12:39 PM
350phi
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Any idea what the difference is between the AWD and RWD front rotors?
if it's not the offset or size, then what?
according to https://centricparts.centriccatalog.com there is a small difference between the front rotors. I underline the differences.

therefore that means the knuckle MUST be the same. therefore IS-F brake upgrade should work perfectly fine.
Old 06-06-18, 10:54 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

The main difference is the cooling vanes are fed from the outside or inside. Lexus has used the "AWD" rotor on AWD and RWD models, while the "RWD" rotor will only fit on RWD models (due to a smaller hub clearance).

Jeff
The following users liked this post:
350phi (06-07-18)
Old 06-18-18, 07:05 AM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

has anybody attempted to fit RCF/GSF brakes onto their car? i kinda want to do that once i get my car tuned and headers installed i like the look of OEM F brakes rather than RR Racing
Old 07-16-18, 09:31 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,569 Posts

How are you planning on evacuating air in the line from when you disconnect the stock calipers? Apparently you need Toyota software to properly purge the system. BMW is this way with the E46, too. I've always done a standard two man or pressurized bleed on that car though and it seemed fine? Anwyay as far as software I am guessing you have this? I need to look into that at some point cause I want to replace my fluid with some German stuff.

Also very very neat install. I'd probably wear through those like butter. $200 each for rotors and $500 for pads is a lot to swallow.

I'm currently at $54 ea for rotors (German stuff) and stock pads (also German stuff) at $55 for the set.

$160 for a front set of brakes and 45 min to change out is a steal for me!
Old 07-16-18, 09:59 AM
350phi
Pit Crew

There's nothing special about the braking system on these Lexus. I'm doing the standard 2 man bleeding procedure which is the same toyota/lexus dealerships are doing. I have friends that are honda and toyota dealer service techs and there's no issue doing it this way. I've done dozen of brakes and bbk upgrades since the late 90s and never really had any issues with any car. If you want to get all technical, you can purchase a vacuum bleeding system and pull the brake fluid.
This entire process is not much different than IS250 owners upgrading to IS350 front caliper.

As for rotors, I went with stoptech drilled rotors for $92 each. The pads i'm using are stoptech street front and rear were around $100 shipped.
OEM lexus rotors and pads are way too expansive for me.

As for software, I have techstream. plus these lexus do not need anything special to change in the computer software. RCF/GSF have these brake pad sensors that you must swap out and you have to reset the sensor in the computer (I think??).

Last edited by 350phi; 07-16-18 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-16-18, 10:59 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

There's nothing special about the braking system on these Lexus. I'm doing the standard 2 man bleeding procedure which is the same toyota/lexus dealerships are doing. I have friends that are honda and toyota dealer service techs and there's no issue doing it this way. I've done dozen of brakes and bbk upgrades since the late 90s and never really had any issues with any car. If you want to get all technical, you can purchase a vacuum bleeding system and pull the brake fluid.
This entire process is not much different than IS250 owners upgrading to IS350 front caliper.

As for rotors, I went with stoptech drilled rotors for $92 each. The pads i'm using are stoptech street front and rear were around $100 shipped.
OEM lexus rotors and pads are way too expansive for me.

As for software, I have techstream. plus these lexus do not need anything special to change in the computer software. RCF/GSF have these brake pad sensors that you must swap out and you have to reset the sensor in the computer (I think??).
Yeah but the stability control system has a pressure regulator, valves, etc that needs activation by software to purge it cause air gets trapped inside. Common on modern cars.

Old 07-16-18, 11:21 AM
350phi
Pit Crew

Correct, but when doing a caliper swap, you're pushing air out of the new caliper and not the entire BMC. brake upgrade and BBK install have all been the same throughout all cars/users on this forum. dozen of members and threads of people doing swaps and bleeding brakes perfectly fine without any software changes.
Old 07-16-18, 06:43 PM
fivesevenn
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Correct, but when doing a caliper swap, you're pushing air out of the new caliper and not the entire BMC. brake upgrade and BBK install have all been the same throughout all cars/users on this forum. dozen of members and threads of people doing swaps and bleeding brakes perfectly fine without any software changes.
yup, thats correct. nothing special or need the techstream if you're changing the brakes/mbc. only electronic brake system/hybrids need it.
Old 08-07-18, 03:37 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I am saying if you want to do a full and proper fluid replacement and bleed since you are installing new brakes, you'll need the software activation. I am not saying you'll introduce air into the system when doing your brakes. I am saying you may have air in there that you can't get out doing solely conventional means.

Lexus calls it Air Bleeding Utility
Old 08-13-18, 10:36 AM
350phi
Pit Crew

Yep, if the system was completely empty. swapping caliper doesn't make the system empty. Just like the many other 350 brake upgrade that other users have done on this forum without any issues.

anyways, stoptech gs350 f sport drilled rotors finally came in. everything in the picture is all you need. no hub or shim needed. Had another buddy install this same exact kit on his GS350 f sport and he used his stock rotors.

Install pictures soon.

Quick Reply: 2g IS-F brembo on 3G IS