Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Squeaky Brakes F-Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-14, 07:22 AM
hkbondgt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky Brakes F-Sport

I have a 2014 350 F-Sport with about 2,200 miles. I noticed my rear brakes are starting to squeak. Does anyone else have this? Thanks.
Old 03-28-14, 06:11 PM
markb3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed my front breaks make a sound, kind of like they are stuck when I'm stopped and when I finally move it does it. It's not really a squeak though and I only notice it when it's raining or just washed my car. Not sure if anyone else notices that.
Old 03-28-14, 07:32 PM
Slimjimlim
Driver School Candidate

Mine does when the pads are cold but after a couple of mins of driving it goes away
Old 03-28-14, 08:06 PM
CobraGSF
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

yeah ive noticed that as well on my 350 Fsport. was going to call the dealer about it, but it really only squeaks when im coming out of the driveway after the cars been sitting overnight. once I start driving I don't hear anything. guess it has to do with the pads?
Old 03-29-14, 09:16 PM
feartheyu
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds that you are hearing while in reverse can be common. Depending on your mileage, or how your braking style when driving your IS350 F-Sport can cause the rotors to be grooved by the brake pads (harmonically) since you do majority of your harder braking when the car is moving forward compared to a slow 2-5mph reverse coming out of the driveway or parking space. You have to picture a rotor/pads grooved clockwise, then if you counterclockwise (reverse) it may give off a squeal because the grooves are misaligned. That is one legitimate reason. Another reason, is that morning 'dew' or water can cause a little rust (glaze) on the pads/rotors. Just needs to be heated up and burnt off. In my experience I've heard brakes that are so light in squeal and so intermittent, there's nothing to worry about, all brakes can make some sort of noise.

Now, IF it's something that happens frequently and you're able to duplicate the sound while bringing it to the dealership (i.e. road test/ride along with technician), and loud, like something that sounds more like a loud squeal vs. a soft squeak. Then there could be a cause for concern. Keep in mind, sound level is relative from person to person.

When speaking to a service consultant, it helps to let them know the when, what, how, where. More info we can pass along to our techs, the better we can try to duplicate the concern and recommend a fix or explain why it may be occurring.

New pads generally shouldn't make much sounds. I had 1 instance so far when having the car for about 8 days, where I heard a low scrub like noise coming from the brakes for the last 6" of coming to a stop at a stop light. I was GENTLY hitting the brakes and it was about 60 degrees outside around mid day, clear sky, and I was on a slight decline as Georgia is naturally hilly. The sound I experienced is perfectly normally, and I only had about 120 miles on my newly leased IS350 F-Sport. Haven't been able to duplicate it since. If you can duplicate it consistently in multiple instances, then yes, it is a concern and should be brought to our attention. Otherwise, you're just wasting everyone's time on a one time squeak/squeal that posses no safety concerns.

Furthermore, the F-Sport brake pads are high friction pads to reduce brake fade. They are maximizing stopping power and engineered for such while keeping squeaks/squeals to a minimum. In a perfect world, brake pads won't make noise, but we don't live in a perfect world.

Also depending on your mileage and braking style (i.e. light braker, hard braker).

Feel free to ask questions and I'll try to steer you in the best direction possible. I like LEXUS as a company as to how it does business with our drivers. If I don't have an answer, I can ask my technicians for their opinions. Remember, every car is driven differently, and subjected to different environments. There isn't a one answer fits all kind of thing when it comes to brakes.

*Lexus Service Consultant - I also drive a 2014 IS350 F-sport

Last edited by feartheyu; 03-29-14 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 03-31-14, 04:18 AM
hkbondgt
Driver School Candidate

Thanks! I'll keep an eye on it.
Old 09-10-15, 11:23 AM
gymjenkie
Rookie

Default Same issue except with 2014 is250 f sport

My brakes seem to squeak about half the time or even more when I am coming to a stop. If I brake hard then it doesn't always squeak. It squeaks when I come to a stop and brake lightly so I don't jerk pretty much lol. I've had the brakes and rotors replaced, but I was told it is because it is a semi-ceramic that builds up a lot of dust? Is that really the cause even after replacement?
Old 10-15-15, 02:59 AM
Brklyn
Driver School Candidate

My brakes began squealing months ago at 8000 miles. I don't drive the car much. Had it 15 months. Took it in and was told nothing wrong. Squeal due to slight rust possibly from not driving enough.Took it in again a month later, and again they say everything's okay. Took it in a 3rd time recently at 10,000 miles. Now he saying it's possibly from braking too much.

I've got 9 months left to this lease. I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. None of my other cars ever did this at 8000 miles. I've had G37, 335, VW GTI.
Old 05-28-17, 01:08 PM
kfsport
Driver School Candidate

Default 2015 is350fsport-embarrassing brakes

Originally Posted by hkbondgt
I have a 2014 350 F-Sport with about 2,200 miles. I noticed my rear brakes are starting to squeak. Does anyone else have this? Thanks.
My brakes have an insanely annoying squeal every time I use them. I've taken it in to be serviced twice and been told it is normal for these cars. THIS CANNOT BE NORMAL!!! I love my car, however, I can't deal with this and am planning on moving to another brand of car if I can't find a solution. Help!
Old 05-28-17, 01:46 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by kfsport
My brakes have an insanely annoying squeal every time I use them. I've taken it in to be serviced twice and been told it is normal for these cars. THIS CANNOT BE NORMAL!!! I love my car, however, I can't deal with this and am planning on moving to another brand of car if I can't find a solution. Help!
It is normal with F Sport brakes unfortunately. You can use other brake pads like Akebono or Centric and that will get rid of the squeaking.
Old 05-29-17, 10:16 AM
Fsportme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I replaced my stock rotors with aftermarket drill & slotted both front & rear. I also upgraded the fronts pads with EBC reds and left the oem rears stock. The brake pads for Lexus aren't install specific and either pads can be used inner rotor or out. I didn't pay attention to the stock rear pads orientation when I removed them so when I put it all back together and test drove it I could the rear drivers squeal when coming to a forward low speed stop. I'm thinking give it some time and miles to wear in and eventually the squeal would go away well it didn't. I didn't need to new rear pads so I ended up just switching the inside pad with the outside pad on the same rotor. The squealing went away driving forward but now squeals only when in reverse when they're cold. Since it happens only in reverse I can live with it until I eventually replace the rears with EBC reds.
Old 11-20-18, 12:44 PM
ashleyreis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kfsport
Any update for you? I have a 2015 IS250 and you literally wrote what is on my mind. I don't know how much more squealing i can take! They told me it was normal but i'm taking it in again this week because it has gotten worse.
Old 11-20-18, 01:45 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by ashleyreis
Any update for you? I have a 2015 IS250 and you literally wrote what is on my mind. I don't know how much more squealing i can take! They told me it was normal but i'm taking it in again this week because it has gotten worse.
I’d bet it has to do with the amount of brake dust that has accumulated in and around the hardware and calipers. I’d recommend cleaning your calipers and hardware and adding copper antiseize to the back of the pads and to the edges where the pads rest and move on.
Old 11-20-18, 08:49 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

Last time I talked to someone with squeaky brakes .. they did the last brake job themselves and ..

1) Did not resurface the rotors, just slapped on new pads
2) Did not install new "Anti-SQUEAL shims"