Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Best rear brake caliper

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-15, 09:13 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

the ls400 brakes wont fit over the tt rotors right as they are a hair too large, you would want to try with ls400 rotors. going from 1 piston to 4 pistons in the back may be a bit extreme. the tt supra rear are only 2 pistons.
probably wouldn't be too squishy with a good bleeding of the lines and maybe SS lines, but you may have too much stopping force in the rear with that setup. Braking is supossed to be biased towards the front of the car for stability, and if you have the same brakes in the front and rear you can have adverse breaking reactions in stock form I would think.
imagine if the rear gets slightly more traction than the front and you have equal calipers, it would be like starting to pull the handbrake... you know like riding a bike and hitting the rear brakes instead of stopping generally you start to slide.

maybe if you could adjust the bias front to rear more than you could get away with using the same type of calipers. would not be terribly complicated they make setups to do just that.
Very interesting thought though the weight savings would be significant replacing the rear caliper with an aluminum one like the LS400.
Would definitely need some sort of custom bracket.
Old 01-27-15, 03:08 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

yea exactly, the bias wouldn't be too hard to adjust, pretty sure the master cylinder controls the bias itself so it might be possible to adjust it within the stock master. if not it wouldn't be hard to find something to fix that. if you're using a bracket couldn't you just move the LS400 up on the rotor a little or is it just too thick? cz the TT front rotors are pretty huge.
Old 01-28-15, 12:33 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Typically, toyota keeps the mounts for the calipers in the same positions and the caliper itself is made larger to accommodate a bigger rotor.
that is at least the case between the stock front calipers, ls400 calipers, and tt front calipers, which all use different diameter rotors but share the same mounts.
lots of other toyota vehicles like trucks you can also do the same you always do caliper + rotor and the old mounts are generally reused unless its so custom it needs a bracket.

the front calipers on our cars have this offset bolt pattern if you look at the mounting holes on the ls400 brakes.
See how the top mounting tab is longer than the bottom one.

If you look at the SC rear brakes mounting holes and the supra tt rear brakes mounting holes (which work on our cars), you notice that instead of being offset they are actually in line with each other... so ideally we want a 4 piston caliper with the holes lined up for the best chance of bolting on and fitting (or at least an easier adapter).
Supra rear caliper for reference

I did a quick search and it seems like 4runner 89-2000 and landcruiser 92-2000 have various different shapes of 4 piston calipers that have the mounting holes in line from the pictures. to me it looks like on of these might just mount up, but you can't tell the spacing between the 2 holes in the pictures to know without actually test fitting one, and I haven't done that.
then there is a question of the right rotor cause obviously we cant use truck rotors on our cars but its just a matter of finding the right diameter one and there are lots of options out there like ls400 or tt supra or ISF etc.. etc..
this is a 4runner caliper I found online on later year 4runners 96-200?

this page shows the earlier year 4 runner calipers, note the s12W and alot of datsun owners use these on their front brakes so I am thinking its like a standard sort of size.
just wondering if there is a difference between front and rear mounting styles, if there is then I need to start looking through only rear calipers, if not, well then either of these would work nicely.

I don't have one of these calipers laying around but if someone does I would see if it will have a chance of bolting on, the kind listed above are what I would try first as most of them are light weight aluminum 4 piston calipers just like the ls400, but have the mounting bolts lined up instead of offset which matches the rear caliper. IT is entirely possible the distance between the 2 holes might not be the same or some other small details, but I was gonna see what would happen, and still might if I can find locally sometime.

again I don't know if these fit, and likely they don't but its just some ones I came across and banking that toyota uses the same bolt hole distances for the different calipers.

edit** actually in searching I came across people making adapters to use supra and ls400 offset calipers on a is300 which does not have offset mounts, and that could have a remote chance to bolt those calipers up to our rear mounts.
http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/for...0-and-altezza/

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-28-15 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-28-15, 10:33 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

that IS300 thread looks interesting, so if IS calipers bolt up in the rear of our cars, then that kit should too am i right? hopefully i can find some of those 4 runner calipers to try out somewhere. would be sweet to have 4 piston brakes all around.
Old 02-05-15, 03:48 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I did some more digging around, it seems the IS calipers are also offset which makes the ls400 ones work easier on them with the brackets, so likely they wouldn't bolt up with those brackets to our rears, also those brackets are no longer available.

I looked at the 4runner ones again, and the spacing is ok but its the wrong type of mount, its more offset and does not have a threaded part on the caliper, like the stock ones do where the bolt comes from behind.. so I think the 4 runner ones are out unless you have a custom bracket.

I did come up with another idea, *edit*
gonna play around with it first, its a hybrid between some front and rear floating calipers, probably won't work but lets see what happens.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 02-05-15 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-05-15, 06:39 PM
moretoys
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ISF CTS-V Frankenstein alternative

Originally Posted by SCereal
Some work has been done to retrofit other options on the rears but nothing has born fruit yet. ISF rotors will fit but no one has found a caliper that will fit over it yet and work with a bracket.
Above statement is no longer true. I plan to do this Frankenstein set-up this spring.
Brackets are 250 from the thread starter
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-all-sc-s.html
Old 02-06-15, 11:01 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Yeah with custom brackets you can make anything fit and those calipers do look nice, thanks for linking that here.
Old 02-06-15, 11:42 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

i've been doing some research on the 4runner brakes and we might have a pretty good match with front TT rotors. i contacted an ebay parts store about the width of the mounting holes on the calipers, so waiting on an answer for that. as for the rotors i can't find any info on the size of the rear rotors. the front ones are 318mm so if it's anything like the TT rotors where the rear is actually a mm bigger, then we might be able to use TT front rotors for the 4 runner rear calipers, if the calipers are wide enough, which they look like they might be. i'm excited for this, there's tons of 4runners being parted all the time, might make a run to the junkyard tmr to see if they have one.
Old 02-08-15, 08:34 AM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Night-Pager sells a bracket that allows you to mount the UCF30 rear brakes on a variety of cars, if I remember correctly they have a bracket for the JZZ chassis ...

But seeing how just the rear brackets are $600 and it'll take a while to get them I doubt that would be an option for anyone here ...
Old 02-08-15, 11:34 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by drft_n_sc
Night-Pager sells a bracket that allows you to mount the UCF30 rear brakes on a variety of cars, if I remember correctly they have a bracket for the JZZ chassis ...

But seeing how just the rear brackets are $600 and it'll take a while to get them I doubt that would be an option for anyone here ...
for $600 you can have CTS-V brakes mounted already. that's a ridiculous price for a chunk of metal.
Old 02-09-15, 09:10 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

the issue with the 4 runner isn't only the mounting holes (there are 2 different widths depending on the years too for more chances to fit), but what I noticed is the spacing from the mounting point to the rotor, is closer on all the sports cars than the trucks. like the rotor is sitting further away from the hub on those cars, so likely unless the caliper can be mounted in a tricky way, a mounting bracket that moves it back like an inch or whatever it is will probably be needed. probably end up something like that bracket in the other thread above but not exactly cause at least the CTS-V rear caliper does not have the extra spacing.
Old 02-09-15, 11:23 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Could you just put washers (or a solid shim) on the inside of the caliper to move it back and toward the rotor?
Old 02-09-15, 05:07 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

well first someone has to get their hands on some calipers lol.
Old 03-04-15, 10:53 AM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moretoys
Above statement is no longer true. I plan to do this Frankenstein set-up this spring.
Brackets are 250 from the thread starter
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-all-sc-s.html
Nice. Once I run out of other things to do I may have to look into replacing my TT rears with that set up. Be a nice match to my Z06 fronts.

I've seen the supra guys are now going EVO route for rear brakes to be able to run 15" drag wheels. Whether they improve braking over NA i don't know but I can't imagine they would go through the trouble of EVO brakes if the MKIV NA brakes were the same.