Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

new bilstein struts and TT springs, ride is incredibly rough

Old 01-25-14, 07:46 PM
cameratoaa
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new bilstein struts and TT springs, ride is incredibly rough

98 SC400, 102,000 on the clock.

To start out, yes i searched for days straight and all i could find were good things to be said about this kind of setup...wondering what i did wrong.

I swapped out my stock springs and struts with new Bilstein struts and used springs from a '95 TT that had about 30k on them. I reused my old top hats and bump stops because they were in good condition.

Strut part numbers are AK1242 and AK1243 front and rear respectively.

Since installing the new stuff I've put roughly 150 miles on the car over the course of about 10 days.

The ride is firm and handling is superb, but the ride is incredibly rough, the transitions from smooth to poor road conditions are the worst, it feels like im just slamming into everything. Roads that were once smooth with the old (bad shape) suspension are now very harsh. Additionally there seems to be a bit of a honda-hop to the ride, there is extra rebound and bounce in the suspension where there shouldn't be.

I understand the ride will be somewhat "harsher" just because of the firmer suspension setup but it doesn't feel proper, and it actually is making the car harder to control over less than perfect road surfaces.

Any input from someone with this kind of setup on their SC feel free to chime in. I know a lot of you guys have gone this route with positive things to say.
Old 01-25-14, 09:14 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont have this setup, but I'd say it could be a combination of 2 things..
1) the new Bilstiens definitely need more than 150 miles to break in. I'd say probably something closer to 500+ miles.
2) the original Bilstien coilover thread suggests using Hypercoil springs. I know people use different types of springs with the Bilstiens and it doesnt have to be Hypercoils, but perhaps the TT springs are simply stiffer? I know with certain aftermarket springs you can get custom spring rates, and it could just be that the TT's are just too stiff compared to what you were looking for?
..thats just my 2 cents, could be wrong.
Old 01-26-14, 07:57 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

This makes perfect since. I didn't know that you needed over 500 miles for these types of struts to be broken in.

I wanted to add that maybe your stock platform (struts and springs) were wore out that simply needed to be replaced and caused the more plush ride, etc. Just saying.
Old 01-26-14, 08:46 AM
cameratoaa
Rookie

Its winter here in Ohio and I have to wait for the intermittent nice day to take it out and get more miles on it. Is the hopping action it now has considered normal? I'll have to wait more miles and see i guess.

I wasn't going for the coilover setup, but just swapping in the supra equipment as some others have done and thinking maybe down the road going with coilovers if I felt like doing the extra fabrication.
Old 01-26-14, 01:54 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By 'hopping action' I'm assuming you mean how the car bounces around when going over rough roads?
You have to realize that ANY aftermarket suspension/coilover that people on these forums preach about are for their 'preformance' qualities, and not for their 'comfort' qualities. You're not going to retain the stock comfort with any aftermarket setup (except MAYBE the pricy and discontinued Tein Comfort Sports). And many will gladly give up this comfort for added preformance. This usually means a harsher ride, especially on rough roads. Coilovers will NOT soak up rough roads like your stock suspension did, you have to take it easy.
It took me a long time to get used to my Megans, I was not fond of the harsher ride and 'bounciness' over uneven pavement at all. But with a little time for them to break in, and easier driving over bumps I've gotten used to the ride.
Old 01-26-14, 06:59 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your problem is your old stock, hard as a rock bumpstops. You should look into aftermarket universal progressive bumpstops, such as FCM motorsports, energy suspension or even OEM bumpstops from cars such as BMW. A softer bumpstop will make a world difference, one that is progressive.
Old 01-27-14, 05:35 AM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should've purchased new strut mounts also. They greatly affect the ride also. They're essentially a bushing for the shock and the rubber inside weakens over time.
Old 01-27-14, 06:07 AM
cameratoaa
Rookie

I'll go for the new parts and see if it makes a difference. Will report back.

Is there a recommended brand for bump stops or is any of the above ok?
Old 01-28-14, 07:48 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

For a package deal you could buy the KYB shock dust boot/bellow kit that comes with a KYB progressive bumpstop. Youd have to buy 4 of those.
Old 01-29-14, 10:56 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

I remember there being some break-in miles on my AK shocks. I can't remember how long it took to give a more even-handed ride but they will do much better soon. If I'm only slightly stiffer than a "Lexus" ride feel with 600f/325r Hypercoil springs in my car with Bilstein AK's you'll have an even smoother ride with OEM TT springs after the shocks break-in.
Old 02-15-14, 06:47 PM
cameratoaa
Rookie

Originally Posted by Candela
For a package deal you could buy the KYB shock dust boot/bellow kit that comes with a KYB progressive bumpstop. Youd have to buy 4 of those.
so those are a decent buy huh? I saw reviews on amazon that say they were cheap plastic, but i think they were talking about the boots which i wont even use...mine are in good shape. Are the OEM lexus bumps not progressive?

I remember there being some break-in miles on my AK shocks. I can't remember how long it took to give a more even-handed ride but they will do much better soon. If I'm only slightly stiffer than a "Lexus" ride feel with 600f/325r Hypercoil springs in my car with Bilstein AK's you'll have an even smoother ride with OEM TT springs after the shocks break-in.
this is reassuring, ive only been able to take it out a few times for short trips....because you know, ohio and snow and all that nonsense.
Old 02-16-14, 10:26 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

Those KYB stops are actually very stiff/rough. Look into energy suspension ones better, they talk about it in the gixxer drew threads.
Old 02-16-14, 10:43 AM
cameratoaa
Rookie

Those KYB stops are actually very stiff/rough. Look into energy suspension ones better, they talk about it in the gixxer drew threads.
Stiffer than stock ones? I did see those energy suspension ones but will they work for a spring/shock setup not the coilover setup in the gixxer drew DIY?
Old 02-16-14, 11:27 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

I've recently purchased KYB ones and didnt even install them cause they are probably as hard as the stock ones, i just gave them away to a friend lol. You just slip on the bumpstop, if it doesnt stay on the top part of the shock rod that has the metal ring for bump stops, just slide it all the way down and it will still work. There's really all sorts of bump stops that you can use, even OEM from porsche, bmw, etc.

I installed bilsteins on my car, I purchased OEM bmw 3 series bump stops, I purchased 2 of them, and then cut them in half to have 4 pieces. Each piece was very compressible and firm, yet not super soft or super hard. Each piece was probably about 1.5"-2.0" long.

I know its very involved but thats just what I personally decided to do, there are aftermarket bumpstops such as energy suspenion and FCM motorsports where they are good as they come and u just slip em on.
Old 03-09-14, 05:46 PM
cameratoaa
Rookie

I've recently purchased KYB ones and didnt even install them cause they are probably as hard as the stock ones, i just gave them away to a friend lol. You just slip on the bumpstop, if it doesnt stay on the top part of the shock rod that has the metal ring for bump stops, just slide it all the way down and it will still work. There's really all sorts of bump stops that you can use, even OEM from porsche, bmw, etc.

I installed bilsteins on my car, I purchased OEM bmw 3 series bump stops, I purchased 2 of them, and then cut them in half to have 4 pieces. Each piece was very compressible and firm, yet not super soft or super hard. Each piece was probably about 1.5"-2.0" long.

I know its very involved but thats just what I personally decided to do, there are aftermarket bumpstops such as energy suspenion and FCM motorsports where they are good as they come and u just slip em on.
What year 3 series did you get these for?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new bilstein struts and TT springs, ride is incredibly rough