Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Stoptech/ Centric rotor RUST

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-14, 07:56 AM
SH4DY
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down Stoptech/ Centric rotor RUST

I installed Stoptech/ Centric rotors all the way around a little over a month ago. Attached is a picture of what they look like now. Keep in mind I'm in central VA and we haven't gotten a bunch of crap weather this winter - mostly run rain, so I can't even attribute this to salt/chemicals. I contacted the vendor about this and they got in touch with Stoptech whose response was basically: sucks to be you, sand and paint them if you're not happy with their appearance.
Really? These things look like they've been left outside in the rain for 10 years. The OEM's I took off had very minimal, if any, surface rust around the hubs and they'd been on the car for years. I've used Brembo blank on other cars and they never showed any signs of rust.

Just a heads up to anyone that buys these - you may want to paint them before installing. Also, these did not have the "e-coating" but I was not given an option when I ordered them so I don't know how much of an impact that would have had.
Attached Thumbnails Stoptech/ Centric rotor RUST-pass-front.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by SH4DY:
KennyFSU (02-01-22), TheUser (02-10-22), User 122922 (07-23-21)
Old 01-20-14, 12:09 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Were the rotor hats painted black before installation? Rust DOES happen quite often on rotors w/o a protective coating.

Here's what my PowerSlot rotors looked like before installation; if you purchase rotors w/o this coating, I would definitely recommend hitting them with caliper paint :

Old 01-20-14, 01:45 PM
SH4DY
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

That's a negative on any type of paint/coating. Once it warms up I'll spray bomb them but I wanted to give the folks a head up...
Old 01-20-14, 01:55 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol should see mine...
Old 01-22-14, 12:12 AM
JDM FINEST
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol i knew i wasnt the only one...e coat is worth the extra $
Old 01-27-14, 07:30 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have Centric Premium rotors on another car and the E-cloating doesn't look like it will last.

These were installed on Fall 2013:
Stoptech/ Centric rotor RUST-photo-1.jpg

Last edited by Noeh; 03-10-14 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-02-14, 02:03 AM
IS350HKS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am having the same issue... i painted over the rust with black high heath paint
Old 02-02-14, 10:29 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Yeah, even with the black coating, it'll start to go over the years. But in the future I'll be hitting the factory coating with additional black caliper paint so that it lasts a lot longer.
Old 02-02-14, 10:43 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

no problems here with mine. i pretty much excessively use Centric premium for all my cars. no problems here.

probably because i'm in California?
The following 2 users liked this post by istundra:
User 122922 (07-23-21), wakaru8 (08-13-21)
Old 07-23-21, 01:17 PM
User 122922
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I was about to buy centric rotors but since I saw this pictures I’m about to change my mind and go oem then, or do you think the e coating or the cryo version maybe will hold up better ?? I live in California when the winter season not crazy ? What’s your suggestion should I give it a shoot and get the cryo version or they’re all will rust eventually?? Thanks for your time

Originally Posted by SH4DY
I installed Stoptech/ Centric rotors all the way around a little over a month ago. Attached is a picture of what they look like now. Keep in mind I'm in central VA and we haven't gotten a bunch of crap weather this winter - mostly run rain, so I can't even attribute this to salt/chemicals. I contacted the vendor about this and they got in touch with Stoptech whose response was basically: sucks to be you, sand and paint them if you're not happy with their appearance.
Really? These things look like they've been left outside in the rain for 10 years. The OEM's I took off had very minimal, if any, surface rust around the hubs and they'd been on the car for years. I've used Brembo blank on other cars and they never showed any signs of rust.

Just a heads up to anyone that buys these - you may want to paint them before installing. Also, these did not have the "e-coating" but I was not given an option when I ordered them so I don't know how much of an impact that would have had.
Old 07-23-21, 01:21 PM
User 122922
Pit Crew

Hey Californian mate, may I ask you if the centric e-coating or the cryo will hold up with California weather or should I go with oem rotor ?? I’m really confused and can’t make up my mind yet ,, also what’s your brake pads that u use with yours centric ? Thanks for your time

Originally Posted by istundra
no problems here with mine. i pretty much excessively use Centric premium for all my cars. no problems here.

probably because i'm in California?
Old 07-25-21, 10:13 AM
kenji211
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

The slotted R1 Concepts Geomet rotors I got for my 2008 IS350 have a coating and have no corrosion on the non-frictional surfaces.

I bought my son some Stoptech rotors for his 2009 Civic Si and they do rust. I should have recognized this before installing them and applied a coat of paint.

-Kenji
The following users liked this post:
User 122922 (07-25-21)
Old 08-13-21, 09:25 AM
wakaru8
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been using those rotors on my 2007 for most of it's life. My current set still looks pristine except for the small rust ring on the rotor surface where the pad doesn't reach. The hats are painted black and are still black. However, I live in CA and drive a lot less than I used to so that makes a big difference. The car did spend a few earlier years of its life in the northeast with harsh winters and salted roads. I still didn't see that much rust but was probably due to driving a lot more that the rotors were replaced before they had a chance to rust.
User 122922 (08-13-21)
Old 08-13-21, 10:46 AM
User 122922
Pit Crew

Are you referring to the centric Rotors or something else ? And which centric did you got ? The $85 one ? Or the cryo treated one $125 ??

thanks

Originally Posted by wakaru8
I've been using those rotors on my 2007 for most of it's life. My current set still looks pristine except for the small rust ring on the rotor surface where the pad doesn't reach. The hats are painted black and are still black. However, I live in CA and drive a lot less than I used to so that makes a big difference. The car did spend a few earlier years of its life in the northeast with harsh winters and salted roads. I still didn't see that much rust but was probably due to driving a lot more that the rotors were replaced before they had a chance to rust.
Old 08-13-21, 11:06 AM
wakaru8
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not cryo, just the plain vanilla $85 version. They've held up pretty well in CA! Rotor surface is pretty smooth after several years even with the mostly local driving that I do, which means more stop and go

Originally Posted by Costantine
Are you referring to the centric Rotors or something else ? And which centric did you got ? The $85 one ? Or the cryo treated one $125 ??

thanks
User 122922 (08-13-21)

Quick Reply: Stoptech/ Centric rotor RUST