Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Just placed my first handling mods order!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-03, 12:22 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Just placed my first handling mods order!!!

I am so excited about this - I just placed my first order for handling modification parts with Steve Ganz of Carson Toyota!!!

I ordered the following:
1. L-tuned springs
2. L-tuned shocks
3. L-tuned Steering ECU
4. L-tuned stainless steel sports muffler/exhaust
5. TRD Anti-sway bars front and rear
6. TRD Front Chassis Brace
7. Toms Rear chassis Brace

I can't wait to install these on my car. I will report back with the changes and lots of pictures once I have them all installed. Probably in another three weeks from today.

I bought my car (99 GS400) on November 20th 2002 and have been dying to modify it since I discovered this site.....

Happy motoring everyone!

I will be ordering the following parts in a couple of months:
1. TRD Front Strut tower bar
2. Toms rear strut tower bar
3. L-tuned grille
4. L-tuned sideskirts
5. TTE front lip spoiler

Another member here has the L-tuned grille and sideskirts for sale (brand new still in the box and already factory painted Alpine Silver), so I will probably end up buying them from him (if he returns my emails .

Last edited by Hameed; 01-22-03 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-22-03, 12:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

holy.... you got everything together. that's nice man! i would do it one by one though, that way i can feel the improvement along the way and make my money worth even more but for sure, after you put all of them on, even just with the first batch, you will start doing some insane turns

btw, trust me, now your limiting factor is wheels and tires if you haven't changed them. you will find yourself not rolling in the car but the tires are crying all day long
Old 01-22-03, 02:51 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by rominl
holy.... you got everything together. that's nice man! i would do it one by one though, that way i can feel the improvement along the way and make my money worth even more but for sure, after you put all of them on, even just with the first batch, you will start doing some insane turns
Unfortunately I cannot afford the luxury of doing the mods one at a time.

This car is my daily driver and I drive it to work everyday, so that means I have to leave it at my mechanics shop for a couple of days when I can take time off work (as I won't have any transportation into work). So I will have to get them all done at once.

Yeah, can't afford better tires and rims this year after spending on the other mods, so I have to wait till next year. The standard 17inch 245/40ZR 17 will suffice for now.
Old 01-22-03, 02:53 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

I had a question about the parts I ordered - I know that the following parts replace existing parts on the car: (obviously )
shocks/springs/exhaust/anti-sway bars

What about the the TRD front chassis brace and the Toms Rear chassis brace? Do they replace any OEM parts already on the car? What improvement do these mods make?

Also one last question, what handling improvement does the Toms' six link suspension kit accomplish? Does it replace an existing OEM part? If I bought this part later, would it require another realignment (as I have to do an alignment from the first set of mods). If it requires another alignment, then it is probably better to get it now and install it with the first set of mods.

Last edited by Hameed; 01-22-03 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-22-03, 03:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Hameed

Unfortunately I cannot afford the luxury of doing the mods one at a time.

This car is my daily driver and I drive it to work everyday, so that means I have to leave it at my mechanics shop for a couple of days when I can take time off work (as I won't have any transportation into work). So I will have to get them all done at once.

Yeah, can't afford better tires and rims this year after spending on the other mods, so I have to wait till next year. The standard 17inch 245/40ZR 17 will suffice for now.
haha gotcha. well i always put my mods on during the weekend and spend half day at the shop with other guys and my gf. very true, finding time to go to shop is a problem, but if you put them one one at a time, you only need 2 hrs to put on the springs/shocks instead of 2 days
Old 01-22-03, 03:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Hameed
I had a question about the parts I ordered - I know that the following parts replace existing parts on the car: (obviously )
shocks/springs/exhaust/anti-sway bars

What about the the TRD front chassis brace and the Toms Rear chassis brace? Do they replace any OEM parts already on the car? What improvement do these mods make?

Also one last question, what handling improvement does the Toms' six link suspension kit accomplish? Does it replace an existing OEM part? If I bought this part later, would it require another realignment (as I have to do an alignment from the first set of mods). If it requires another alignment, then it is probably better to get it now and install it with the first set of mods.
there is a stock front brace already so it's a replacement. there is no stock rear brace so it's an addon.

for the tom's 6 pieces, i heard both ways, some says it's a waste of money but some says it helps somehow. i believe two of them is replacement and 4 extra rods. but if you think about it, after spending so much on handling stuff, why not another 300 bucks to get the 6 pieces links?

from what i know, if the mechanic does a good job, putting the 6 pieces shouldn't alter the alignment much.
Old 01-22-03, 05:52 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Hey Rominil,

Thanks for your feedback!! I will hold off on the six link kit as that will add another $450.00 to my credit card bill (I live in Canada and $300.00 translates to $450.00 Canadian).

So the total I have spent so far on mods is now approx. $2,500.00! A paltry sum compared to some guys here!
Old 01-22-03, 06:51 PM
LexFather

Damn, that is about everything. You will be so happy with the difference. It will seem night and day to you since you are doing it all at one time. I did mine piece by piece so I could tell what does what.
Old 01-22-03, 06:54 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

I am so excited!!!

I am looking forward to the transformation of my performance car to a real sports car (short of being a Porsche) with 4 doors!
Old 01-26-03, 10:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

:eek: you will be blown away by the changes with all that stuff!
Old 01-27-03, 03:15 AM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, what an order... It looks like you arent playing around... You'll be more than happy with all that you ordered...
Old 01-27-03, 03:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

all i can say is, after all thes mods, take it easy on your first couple of turns, you are not used to how fast and smooth it turns out.
Old 01-27-03, 08:40 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by rominl
all i can say is, after all thes mods, take it easy on your first couple of turns, you are not used to how fast and smooth it turns out.
When you say "take it easy on your first couple of turns" - what exactly will happen if I don't ? Very curious indeed.......
Old 01-27-03, 01:59 PM
MrSypher
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll flip because your so top heavy now..... :eek:
Old 01-27-03, 02:46 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by MrSypher
You'll flip because your so top heavy now..... :eek:
Really!! The L-tuned springs/shocks don't correct that somewhat? What have you done to your car to correct that?

Quick Reply: Just placed my first handling mods order!!!