Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
Old 12-12-14, 03:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

RS*R Down Lowering Springs vs Super Down

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-13, 01:04 PM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up RS*R Down Lowering Springs vs Super Down

I wanted to make this thread to focus just on the suspension of the car, with my wheel setup and what works/ what doesn't work.

The wheel and tire specs on my car are:

19x8.5 +34, 235/35
19x9.5 +32, 265/30

Here is the car dropped on the RS*R Super Down springs

And here is the car on the RS*R Down springs

As you can see, the Super Down springs pretty much get rid of the entire wheel gap, and look AWESOME!!!

Unfortunately, due to the aggressive setup I have in the rear, and the way the fender curves inward, I couldn't drive the vehicle with that setup. The sidewalls of my rear tires would be chewed up in no time, as well as the wheel well. I could have tried some extensive fender & rear bumper rolling, but still may have rubbed over dips and bumps.

With the Down springs, there is still some minor gap:

However, any lower and I'd probably start scraping on my own driveway, especially when I have a front lip installed:

As for ride quality- the car rides great! It feels slightly stiffer than the OEM suspension, but not so stiff that the ride becomes uncomfortable. In addition, it feels much better handling around corners and turns-- not so floaty as the OEM feel.

I can't perform what I hear is known as the "Girlfriend test" but I'm sure that if I could, the car with this suspension would pass with flying colors!

There are also no rubbing issues with front or rear wheels on this setup, and I've tested it at 120 km/h, or about 75 mph, on the 5 freeway out here in So Cal (Which, for those of you who are local know, is uneven and bumpy as hell!), and there was no rubbing going over the uneven portions of the freeway at that speed.

As for Speed bumps, I've also tested this out in a parking lot and in order for the rear wheels to rub, I need to go about 15-17 km/h, or approx 10 mph, over a good sized speed bump for the rears to rub. Now, of course, I won't go that fast over one ever again, and once there is a lip on the car, I definitely won't be going that fast haha. But I was just trying to find the threshold for rubbing.

Overall, I'm VERY happy with the outcome. I do love the slammed look, but I also like the setup of the rear wheels, so...well, I can't have my cake and eat it too

For those who want to comment on how ugly my wheels are, please do so in my build thread here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...50-fsport.html
Let's keep this thread focused on the suspension. Thank you kindly

Last edited by IntegresS; 10-14-13 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-24-13, 01:45 PM
John510
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would the super downs rub on the stock rear wheels you think or would the stock rear wheels tuck into the quarter panel?
Old 09-24-13, 04:25 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So use the super in front and r in back
Old 09-24-13, 04:33 PM
IS350S2K
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Love the look with the Super Downs but don't want to scape. I can live with a 1 finger gap with the Downs.
Old 09-24-13, 05:07 PM
amoney805
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually prefer the more moderate drop. I have eibach pro-kits on my 2is and was pleased with the drop while still maintaining a comfortable ride. I'm looking forward to the release of the Down springs.
Old 09-25-13, 07:00 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by John510
Would the super downs rub on the stock rear wheels you think or would the stock rear wheels tuck into the quarter panel?
if the factory height isn't rubbing, then lowering the vehicle on springs with the same factory settings should not cause you to rub at all

if you correct your alignment while lowered, there can be rubbing but I'd highly doubt it on stock wheels/tires unless you're slammed or on spacers
Old 09-25-13, 07:06 AM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IntegresS
I
Unfortunately, due to the aggressive setup I have in the rear, and the way the fender curves inward, I couldn't drive the vehicle with that setup. The sidewalls of my rear tires would be chewed up in no time, as well as the wheel well. I could have tried some extensive fender & rear bumper rolling, but still may have rubbed over dips and bumps.

Let's keep this thread focused on the suspension. Thank you kindly [/I]
I prefer the stance of the more aggressive setup...I would have looked into shaving the rear fenders to help allerviate the rubbing issue you were having.
Old 09-25-13, 07:21 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Looks great and I bet those RSR springs ride great. Nice and clean drop
Old 09-25-13, 12:56 PM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with reyoasian use super in the front or run smaller tires.
215 or 225 on the front and 235 on the rear. Im currently running 225 on my 9 and 235 on my 10.
Old 09-26-13, 07:48 AM
LexFather

Great write-up and nice pics. RS-R was super excited that you could make some time. Thanks!!!
Old 09-26-13, 11:40 AM
amoney805
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are the exact specs for the drop on the down springs?
Old 09-26-13, 08:44 PM
John510
Lead Lap

How much are the springs?
Old 09-29-13, 09:47 PM
IntegresS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So sorry for my super delayed response!!! >_<

I think the super downs would be just fine with the stocks and there would be no rubbing. My tires are beefy in the back and that's probably the biggest issue

Originally Posted by reyoasian
So use the super in front and r in back
Haha I didn't think that was an option, for my purposes.

Originally Posted by IS350S2K
Love the look with the Super Downs but don't want to scape. I can live with a 1 finger gap with the Downs.
I hear you on that!

Originally Posted by amoney805
I actually prefer the more moderate drop. I have eibach pro-kits on my 2is and was pleased with the drop while still maintaining a comfortable ride. I'm looking forward to the release of the Down springs.
Yes sir! I also had the Pro Kits on my previous 2IS and it was a good enough drop for me as well, especially as a daily driver back then!

Originally Posted by baddis es
I prefer the stance of the more aggressive setup...I would have looked into shaving the rear fenders to help allerviate the rubbing issue you were having.
I didn't want to risk it. I'll be more adventurous later.

Originally Posted by RastaRacer
Looks great and I bet those RSR springs ride great. Nice and clean drop
Thank you They ride pretty nice, if I do say so myself! Took it out again this weekend and even ventured on some unexpected twisty roads and it felt great!

Originally Posted by juvi22003
I agree with reyoasian use super in the front or run smaller tires.
215 or 225 on the front and 235 on the rear. Im currently running 225 on my 9 and 235 on my 10.
Yeah, I'm thinking of getting smaller tires, but a little later on. I kind of want to see how it is with a lip before I consider dropping more.

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Great write-up and nice pics. RS-R was super excited that you could make some time. Thanks!!!
Thank you I was happy to do so!

Originally Posted by amoney805
What are the exact specs for the drop on the down springs?
If I took proper notes on my phone when I was getting the springs installed, then the drop is 28mm in front and 14mm in the rear.

How much are the springs?
TBD -- but check out the website for updates: http://rs-r.com/lowering-springs/
Old 10-12-13, 07:37 AM
RastaRacer
Lexus Champion

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Team RSR killing the 3IS suspension game right now
Old 10-14-13, 01:50 AM
Adam350is
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Super downs. Is. Legit. Dont be a ***** jen. Its a lease.

Quick Reply: RS*R Down Lowering Springs vs Super Down