Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Dd/drifting suspension for my 96 sc300

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-13, 08:02 PM
Rvo7632
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dd/drifting suspension for my 96 sc300

Im looking to buy a suspension for daily driving and possible drifting my sc in the future. So i would like to have a comfortable drive when im just commuting but able to adjust it for drift or autocross racing in the future. I wanna just boy the right suspension one time and not have to buy another set when i wanna drift. I was thinking coil overs. But i dont know which one would best fit my goals?
Old 08-27-13, 08:24 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

There are several out there. Depends on your budget. What rear end are you using? Or will be using?
Old 08-29-13, 06:01 PM
Rvo7632
Driver School Candidate

Im gonna be going with a auto supra tt lsd pumpkin or a aristo jzs147 pumpkin.
Correct me if im wrong, but i been looking on the forms and they said it would be a direct swap into my sc, plus the ratio is the same as the tt 3.7. Which would be perfect with my r154.
My budget is around 1100 maybe 1200. Im looking to stay under a grand if possible
Old 08-29-13, 06:48 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

For that price, go with the Gixxer_Drew suspension. Should be $900-$1000 for that setup with all new parts. It's very, very good but necessitates a just-below-stock ride height. Go a higher than $1200 and you can get into some very good coilover options.
Old 08-29-13, 08:13 PM
Rvo7632
Driver School Candidate

What do you mean buy? necessitates. And thanks im gonna check it out. Would u recommend tein or the megan on driftmotion.
Old 08-30-13, 08:21 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Rvo7632
What do you mean buy? necessitates. And thanks im gonna check it out. Would u recommend tein or the megan on driftmotion.
I mean it was designed with the original suspension geometry in mind and that lowering it more than a couple of inches below stock upsets the Gixxer_Drew suspension's performance. It was engineered by an SC owner who is a racing suspension engineer as a low-cost alternative to expensive coilover setups by using off the shelf parts.

I run it and it's great for $1k investment. There are better setups, sure, but they cost a lot more for what you get. The thread for it is on SF.
Old 08-31-13, 09:44 AM
Rvo7632
Driver School Candidate

Ic. I wasnt able to find a vender that sell those suspension. I try googling it to. Would those be good for drift or auto cross in for future purpose?
Old 08-31-13, 04:05 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Rvo7632
Ic. I wasnt able to find a vender that sell those suspension. I try googling it to. Would those be good for drift or auto cross in for future purpose?
Good for autocross and track. Maybe drifting? I don't drift so I cannot give you an opinion.

You don't buy the Gixxer_Drew suspension outright. You build it from ready to order parts from various vendors according to this thread on SF:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...pension-thread..

And to note: in the instructions it may or may not specify "helper" springs for 500/250 and 600/325 versions but ALL applications of the suspension require the "helper" springs.
Old 08-31-13, 05:26 PM
Rvo7632
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help. Im look into it over the weekend, see if it fits for me. At the moment im leaning towards it. Im not worry about the drift yet. Thats far in the future. But i would like to occasionally practice till i get better then maybe ill buy and all drift setup. I dont want my skills being limited to learn because my suspension wasnt up to par. Thats y i want something in between. Getting ready to start a build thread soon. Just waiting to collect all the parts. Once i start u should check it out.
Old 08-31-13, 09:14 PM
KahnBB6

Cool! I will.

If it's what will work for your needs you won't be limited with that setup while you're putting in seat time. It's night and day compared to an SC stock suspension and much better than a stock MKIV TT suspension. So long as you're okay with a stock-looking ride height (no affect on the handling since it's designed for it). The Bilstein shocks it uses are basically the same design and valving as the shocks TRD used to sell over the counter for the MKIV Supra. Those can also be custom revalved to whatever specs you want by sending them into Bilstein. I'm actually not trying to hard sell you on it, just mentioning the advantages if they apply.

The other things that help with any suspension you choose is either an upgraded rear sway bar or TT rear sway bar swap. The front sway bar isn't as necessary to change. Beyond that, any drifting will benefit from an LSD of any kind regardless of how much or how little power you have.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-31-13 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-31-13, 10:39 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's probably the ultimate setup for track and autox. Not sure what class you would possibly be competitive in autox with this car, but more power to ya for trying. Where does SCCA even place these cars???

For drift any cheap coilover will work. Gixxer_drew would be overkill
Old 09-01-13, 06:10 PM
Rvo7632
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Cool! I will.

If it's what will work for your needs you won't be limited with that setup while you're putting in seat time. It's night and day compared to an SC stock suspension and much better than a stock MKIV TT suspension. So long as you're okay with a stock-looking ride height (no affect on the handling since it's designed for it). The Bilstein shocks it uses are basically the same design and valving as the shocks TRD used to sell over the counter for the MKIV Supra. Those can also be custom revalved to whatever specs you want by sending them into Bilstein. I'm actually not trying to hard sell you on it, just mentioning the advantages if they apply.

The other things that help with any suspension you choose is either an upgraded rear sway bar or TT rear sway bar swap. The front sway bar isn't as necessary to change. Beyond that, any drifting will benefit from an LSD of any kind regardless of how much or how little power you have.
I got a chance to skim through it early today. There was some good info on it, and i think im gonna do it. but im currently trying to get the tranny build and get the lsd before i start the suspension.. Then go gett the motor built. theres things that i still dont know about the suspension, like the specs and how to get everything balance after building. i gotta finish reading it lol
Old 09-01-13, 06:13 PM
Rvo7632
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
It's probably the ultimate setup for track and autox. Not sure what class you would possibly be competitive in autox with this car, but more power to ya for trying. Where does SCCA even place these cars???

For drift any cheap coilover will work. Gixxer_drew would be overkill
I rather have it comfortable too, more of a daily. and it cost what i wanted to spend. just gotta put in the wrench time
Old 09-01-13, 10:40 PM
KahnBB6

Rvo7632,

If you want a good split between a track suspension and a daily driving suspension, go with the 500/250 version of the Gixxer (and again, despite what the thread instructions say, use the listed helper springs for ALL applications). I daily drive the 600/325 and most of the time it's perfectly fine but I won't lie to you: on some harsher and less maintained road surfaces it is a bit rough. Not by too much but just a bit more than you'd expect. Potholes and severely cracked asphalt for instance-- which isn't the fault of the car. On most road surfaces 600/325 is as docile as any OEM suspension. The other version isn't all that different and probably will suit your needs. The difference between the two is probably not too much.

Just to give you a heads up, the Bilstein AK shocks specified are sometimes in short supply since they manufacture them in batches. Order them ahead of time if you've got other projects to focus on and then get the rest of the parts.

Also look into the track-oriented Lance Alignment for TT Supras once you've converted enough of the suspension to TT spec. I use those as baseline specs and had my alignment guy pull them back just a bit to better suit street driving. With a standard SC300/400 spec alignment you will find the car to be quite tail happy and the Lance specs are one method to re-balance the car's handling characteristics once it's suspension is modified.

For the LSD, definitely have some money ready and start looking now if you want a 3.769:1 TT Auto Torsen. The general upgrade from that is the TRD 2-Way clutch LSD for the Supra TT Auto @ $900-$1k which needs to be installed into whatever diff you're using. If it's the former you want you should find that first because they really are hard to come by and sell very fast.

Good luck!

Last edited by KahnBB6; 09-01-13 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-03-13, 08:02 PM
Rvo7632
Driver School Candidate

Ya thats a good idea. Im gonna look into seeing how much they are this week. I still need to do more reading on how to correctly set you height. I still dont know about the 2 number that had been mention. Example 500/220 like i said still need to read it fully lol.

And i been looking high and low on the form for the pumpkin. I found a jdm aristo pumpkin thats lsd and 3.76 ratio. I been looking into that

Quick Reply: Dd/drifting suspension for my 96 sc300